Sign in to follow this  
FatPom

Arm angle on TT bike

FatPom    2,216

Probably a piece of string question but what kind of angle to you between your forearm and upper arm in your tri position?  I know the ideal angle is meant to be 90deg but wonder how many achieve that. Is there an angle that is considered too stretched?

Second question:  Do you have your elbow right in the pad or sticking out the back a bit?

ironpo    2,764

Not sure of angle but my arm is probably 75mm from start of pad to end of elbow 

so a 75 mm to 100 mm gap off the end

clintred    77

Elbow right in the pad, slightly stretched but at 90ish as my hands are above horizontal. I would gladly ride less elbow angle in more of a mantis position but my tt bars don't allow tilt. 

After mucking around for a few years with different tt extensions I settled on use Tula 50degrees extensions. 

FatPom    2,216

Thanks both. Regarding elbows, I'm somewhere between the two of you, I maybe have  30mm sticking out of the back.

angle wise I'm about the same as IP but my forearms are angled up more. When I can get on my bike I'll take a pic.

• Like 1

Mike Honcho    212

Straight down elbows on pads for max comfort over max distance. Something else might be more aero but until you can hold it for the entire duration it matters not. 

Cranky    891
On 6/18/2017 at 9:50 PM, FatPom said:

Probably a piece of string question but what kind of angle to you between your forearm and upper arm in your tri position?  I know the ideal angle is meant to be 90deg but wonder how many achieve that. Is there an angle that is considered too stretched?

Second question:  Do you have your elbow right in the pad or sticking out the back a bit?

Sticker or the back a touch. 

Don't know what my angle is but looking at it right now, it's a bit bigger than 90°.

Very technical comments,  I know!

• Like 1

FatPom    2,216

Ok here it is. It took quite an effort to climb on the bike! This is how my set up is now.  This is with a 100mm stem and 172.5 cranks. I am nearly maxed out on saddle forward position, not quite. I have a goniomrter but it's not ultra long but as far as can tell, this is giving me a leg angle of 22deg.

i have some 165mm cranks and later today the adaptors to fit them are turning up, along with a 80mm stem and a Specialized Sitero saddle that has a 30 day money back trial offer. I'm not getting on with the Fizik Mistica Wide saddle at all.

i have adjustment on steerer to go 10mm up or 20mm down. In general I can't handle long drop but can handle 'stretched'. Issue right now with stretching is leg extension. Hoping the 165mm cranks will ease that.

let me have it, warts an all :lol:

IMG_0305.JPG

IMG_0306.MOV

Edited by FatPom

The Customer    1,293

FP, I think this position is really good for you. you look like you could sit there all day then have a good run. With your back issues, I reckon this is a good as you could hope for. Elbow pads are where I'd put them. Seat is nice and forward giving open hip which is good for running. The 165s will be even better in this regard.

IP needs to shift his seat and front end forward, then slam his stem down if he is to be worthy of that disk. Plus, the vortex you're creating against your chest with having your hands that low is slowing you down. (IMHO :whistling: )

Edited by The Customer
  • Like 1

FatPom    2,216

Thanks TC. I will post a pic later with the 165mms installed and saddle in same spot, also one with the shorter stem just for comparo.

Sorry, one more question, this is the 56cm P3 which in theory shouldn't fit me. Does it look outrageously big?  I have very little seat post showing, maybe 120mm to the bottom of the clamp but in general it seems to work.

Edited by FatPom

The Customer    1,293

The 56 looks good and from what I can see you dont need a shorter stem. You will hold a straight steady line with the stem you have.

You could have gone a 54 with longer stem, like a 110mm.  I have a guy here same as you size wise. We thought the 56 was too big for him but Jo Spindler got it to fit perfectly.

FatPom    2,216

Thanks TC, as I said, the 54cm would have meant more spacers but I would have had the cool looking flag pole seat mast:wink1:

It's weird looking at that photo, when I'm on the bike it looks ok, when I'm off it, I look at it and wonder who the hell owns that that's living in my house. :lol:

The Customer    1,293

Weird to say but I used to ride my TT with 74cm seat height. Had this German Tri Fitter look at it and he shifted it up to 77cm - At first it felt like could hardly reach the pedals but I immediately got more easy power from it. Best analogy I can make is that it's like lifting a bar bell from a squat position. The hardest part is the first half of the lift out of the squat with the knee joint open. Once you get past that, the easiest part of the lift is the last 25% when the knee is about to straighten and lock out - and yet the weight is the same.

KieranR    109

I just got refitted this week on my TT, some big changes, longer extensions, moved out a further 70mm, gone form 172.5mm cranks to 162.5mm (have a power meter now too), saddle gone up quite a bit too.  amazing the difference immediately, though will take me a little bit of time to adjust fully.  Out of interest my elbows sit roughly 50mm off the back of the pads now.

FFF1077    142

Agree with TC in regards to FP and IP 

Leave it as is with the shorter crank FP, looks good. 

IP shift your pads or elbows forward and down a touch. Quite a high power producing position there, and it works so.....? 

Flanman    1,097

You look like a cyclist now. 

FM

PS: in a time trial

• Like 1

surfer101    182
20 hours ago, clintred said:

165mm will be the best investment you have made.

Sorry FP for interupting the elbow conversation just a question on the shorter cranks: is it to help you run better after the ride or just for power? Would a cyclist be better on a shorter crank as well?

FatPom    2,216

Ok thanks all so far. Here is a pic with the 165mms fitted but not other adjustment. Do you think the saddle needs to move at all?

IMG_0307.JPG

The Customer    1,293

I'd take that spacer out of the stem. Don't even think about a shorter stem as your hands are already at the ends of the bars.

FatPom    2,216
6 minutes ago, The Customer said:

I'd take that spacer out of the stem. Don't even think about a shorter stem as your hands are already at the ends of the bars.

Do you mean above or below?  I did think about out slamming the base bar and getting an aero riser kit for the pads but they're like hens teeth at the moment.

The Customer    1,293

Below. Just remove the bottom spacer and go lower in front end IMHO. What I hate about aero riser kits is that if you want to ride in a bunch with your hands on the brake bars, they end up too low and you'll get sore hands, neck, back, taint etc.

FatPom    2,216

Yeah good point.  My thinking about the shorter stems was in order to move the saddle back a bit but I think I'd rather not compromise leg extension, so the stem is going back.  Thanks for all the advice.

Edited by FatPom
  • Like 2