Sign in to follow this  
RunBrettRun

Power meter for shiv

43 minutes ago, ashley_s said:

How much are they charging for freight? Should be under the $1,000 Aud so won't thought duty would be payable.

700us plus freight. Will be over 1k aus unfortunately 

On 6/17/2017 at 2:27 PM, dazmuzza said:

I just ordered the new FSA power crank. It's simply a power2max power meter integrated with a fsa crank. $800 new seems like good value. 

DC rainmaker hasn't reviewed it yet but others have and feedback is initially good. I'm hoping it arrives this week and have it up and running next week.

Unsure if it will a fit a shiv though.

Where did you order it from?

On 6/17/2017 at 7:10 PM, garf said:

The P1 pedals seem to get the thumbs up from lots- apparently as 'set and forget' as anything, and run on AA batteries.

I have a set of (secondhand) garmin pedals on my roadie that so far haven't had a hiccup- but only a handful of rides too. 

My new Giant TT has a set of the FSA/P2Max cranks on it. Not enough time on them to really comment so far- and only indoors (that said, powermatch on trainerroad sucks). Certainly very straightforward though. 

Interested to hear your experiences. I've got the same one coming in the post at the moment. 

11 hours ago, ghettodeluxe said:

Can't wait to hear what you think mate. I am keen to order a set for my roadie, but the rubber battery cover has me concerned for wet weather 

From other reviews on it, it doesn't seem like its a big issue. How often would you be riding in the wet anyway?

1 hour ago, RunBrettRun said:

Where did you order it from?

Merlin Cycles in the UK. I got the alloy crank - its a fair bit cheaper than the carbon one. Not the greatest looking crank, but will do the trick for me in the short term. You can also get it slightly cheaper depending on crank length in other online shops. 

Road.cc had this to say about it: http://road.cc/content/review/223476-fsa-powerbox-alloy-chainset

3 hours ago, dazmuzza said:

Interested to hear your experiences. I've got the same one coming in the post at the moment. 

From other reviews on it, it doesn't seem like its a big issue. How often would you be riding in the wet anyway?

Roadie is my commuter, so quite often

Ghetto probably will get a lot more miles on his....

My unit is the 'basic' P2Max on an alloy Gossamer crankset, through Ribble. The boys at the bike shop sourced me a BB to fit it into a Giant pressfit shell. They are BB386EVO axle only (I guess this helps to keep cost down- less options)

So far my experience has been good. It wakes up with a few turns of the crank. My computer picks it up.No dropouts  that I can see. The offset number it's been giving is fairly stable. 

That said it's really only had a few hours of riding.

Worth noting that the instructions say to remove the battery while transporting the bike. as the crank will be activated by the movement. You'll arrive with a potentially dead battery depending on the length of the trip.

I just got the Sram Red Quarq PM supplied and fitted for $900 from my LBS this week. - not sure if thats an option for you or not.

On 23/06/2017 at 9:52 AM, KieranR said:

I just got the Sram Red Quarq PM supplied and fitted for $900 from my LBS this week. - not sure if thats an option for you or not.

Gee that's cheap

15 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

Where did you get it from and what sort of $$?

Direct from p2max, who were very helpful & responded quickly to my questions. Think it was around $1k. 

On 20/06/2017 at 0:24 AM, garf said:

Ghetto probably will get a lot more miles on his....

My unit is the 'basic' P2Max on an alloy Gossamer crankset, through Ribble. The boys at the bike shop sourced me a BB to fit it into a Giant pressfit shell. They are BB386EVO axle only (I guess this helps to keep cost down- less options)

So far my experience has been good. It wakes up with a few turns of the crank. My computer picks it up.No dropouts  that I can see. The offset number it's been giving is fairly stable. 

That said it's really only had a few hours of riding.

Worth noting that the instructions say to remove the battery while transporting the bike. as the crank will be activated by the movement. You'll arrive with a potentially dead battery depending on the length of the trip.

Any further updates on this?

I'm about to pull the trigger for my roadie I think. $800 for a new crank-based PM is pretty attractive.

16 hours ago, Hoffy86 said:

Any further updates on this?

I'm about to pull the trigger for my roadie I think. $800 for a new crank-based PM is pretty attractive.

I've received my new FSA/Power2Max powermeter, but I haven't installed yet - due to my replacement BB386EVO bottom bracket sitting in a storeroom in australia post for no reason for the past fortnight!! 

On 6/18/2017 at 5:58 PM, ironpo said:

Second hand srm  are fine 

the things are pretty much bullet proof

I picked up a 2nd hand SRM last night and installed it but the readings look a little low (I calibrated it through my garmin 910). Can any one suggest a fix?  

Maybe i'm just not fit 

36 minutes ago, Crowies crushed nuts said:

I picked up a 2nd hand SRM last night and installed it but the readings look a little low (I calibrated it through my garmin 910). Can any one suggest a fix?  

Maybe i'm just not fit 

Low compare to what? my SRM was low also but that was compared to a Stages...

1 hour ago, pieman said:

Low compare to what? my SRM was low also but that was compared to a Stages...

I had a stages also. 

For example I could hold over 300 watts for 20 minutes on it but can barely do it for 10 seconds on the SRM. 

49 minutes ago, Crowies crushed nuts said:

I had a stages also. 

For example I could hold over 300 watts for 20 minutes on it but can barely do it for 10 seconds on the SRM. 

okay well mine wasn't that much different

On 7/13/2017 at 11:29 AM, Crowies crushed nuts said:

Maybe i'm just not fit 

I seem to have sorted my issue. I installed it on the trainer so I took the bike off the trainer and re-did the calibration. It's now reading in line with where I would expect to be.  

23 hours ago, pieman said:

okay well mine wasn't that much different

Stages generally gives a  lower reAding than a srm 

srm are far more accurated , but as long as the PM is giving consistant readings then it doesn't really matter 

On 7/13/2017 at 10:15 AM, dazmuzza said:

I've received my new FSA/Power2Max powermeter, but I haven't installed yet - due to my replacement BB386EVO bottom bracket sitting in a storeroom in australia post for no reason for the past fortnight!! 

Any luck yet?  Is that on a shiv and if so where did you get it from?

15 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

Any luck yet?  Is that on a shiv and if so where did you get it from?

Literally got it installed yesterday but no chance to ride yet. Will be using it at Springfield Dualthon on Sunday so will give it a try out and post some reflections. This is my first PM so won't know how to compare really. It's installed on my road bike. 

If a Shiv can cope with BB386EVO bottom bracket, I believe it would be easily enough to install. 

Alright, setup the FSA powerbox on my roadie now. Literally took about 20 seconds to setup on the garmin once I got the cranks going.

Some pictures of what it looks like.

Don't love how the BB3896EVO bb looks on my standard BB86 cup frame, but eh, its ok for a pretty affordable power meter. 

Its powered by a battery that is inserted into the crank and covered by a rubber cover. Apparently good for 400 hours of use. 

It has some kind of auto-zero function meaning I don't have to calibrate it on every ride, but don't know if that is something worth bragging about as this is my first power meter.

Used it today in the Springfield Dualthon and it was broadcasting power no problems (image of power broadcast in link above)

Whole thing cost me

• $800 for  the power meter
  • $70 for the replacement bottom bracket
  • $45 to install

So $915 all up for a dual sided power meter. Not bad I think. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dazmuzza said:

Alright, setup the FSA powerbox on my roadie now. Literally took about 20 seconds to setup on the garmin once I got the cranks going.

Some pictures of what it looks like.

Don't love how the BB3896EVO bb looks on my standard BB86 cup frame, but eh, its ok for a pretty affordable power meter. 

Its powered by a battery that is inserted into the crank and covered by a rubber cover. Apparently good for 400 hours of use. 

It has some kind of auto-zero function meaning I don't have to calibrate it on every ride, but don't know if that is something worth bragging about as this is my first power meter.

Used it today in the Springfield Dualthon and it was broadcasting power no problems (image of power broadcast in link above)

Whole thing cost me

• $800 for  the power meter
  • $70 for the replacement bottom bracket
  • $45 to install

So $915 all up for a dual sided power meter. Not bad I think. 

Thanks for the review and photos mate!

I think I'm convinced.