Sign in to follow this  
RunBrettRun

Power meter for shiv

RunBrettRun    1,362

Yeah this topic again.

My quarq has officially died.

Out of warranty and the option from quarq for a replacement unit is 700us plus freight plus duty.  

Does anyone have any experience with pioneer?  I'd prefer to buy new but might have an option for a second hand unit at about 750.  

Any other options for a shiv?  I liked the look of the powertap crank based one but it won't fit a shiv as per their website.

dazmuzza    33

I just ordered the new FSA power crank. It's simply a power2max power meter integrated with a fsa crank. $800 new seems like good value. 

DC rainmaker hasn't reviewed it yet but others have and feedback is initially good. I'm hoping it arrives this week and have it up and running next week.

Unsure if it will a fit a shiv though.

roxii    4,000

Hey mate, check out Verve cycling infocrank. 

If they may suit your needs PM me and ill put you in touch with someone who may be able to hook you up with a refurb model at a great price. 

• Like 1

RunBrettRun    1,362
17 minutes ago, MissJess said:

I have the DZero on my Shiv.

Yeah thats the option Quarq are giving me as an exchange for my busted unit.  Just trying to work out what it will owe me landed in aus and also if I have any issues it needs to go back to the US cause that's where it's been purchased.

RunBrettRun    1,362
11 minutes ago, roxii said:

Hey mate, check out Verve cycling infocrank. 

If they may suit your needs PM me and ill put you in touch with someone who may be able to hook you up with a refurb model at a great price. 

Thanks will have a look

FFF1077    142

Try out the Powertap peddles. And if they're good I might get some too.... LOL and if they're shitty..... Sell em? 

• Like 1

asmithaxe    1

I have the Powertap P1 pedals on my Shiv, and swap them to the road bike for the wet season (NQ). Will probably also swap them to the MTB for endurance training (but not riding trails).

• Like 1

MissJess    276
4 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

Yeah thats the option Quarq are giving me as an exchange for my busted unit.  Just trying to work out what it will owe me landed in aus and also if I have any issues it needs to go back to the US cause that's where it's been purchased.

Yeah mine was purchased here, costs more, but less pain.

RunBrettRun    1,362
12 minutes ago, MissJess said:

Yeah mine was purchased here, costs more, but less pain.

Only if it breaks

garf    13

The P1 pedals seem to get the thumbs up from lots- apparently as 'set and forget' as anything, and run on AA batteries.

I have a set of (secondhand) garmin pedals on my roadie that so far haven't had a hiccup- but only a handful of rides too. 

My new Giant TT has a set of the FSA/P2Max cranks on it. Not enough time on them to really comment so far- and only indoors (that said, powermatch on trainerroad sucks). Certainly very straightforward though. 

garf    13

Oh, the advantage of P1 pedals over Garmin is they don't have a specific torque requirement when installing to read correctly, and there is no pod. 

• Like 2

RunBrettRun    1,362

My options at the moment.

Powertap single sided pedal 750

Powertap dual pedals 1250

Quarq d zero ~1200 including duty 

2nd hand pioneer dual sided ultegra off a mate 750. 18 months old

2nd hand dual sided pioneer ultegra 1 month old off stranger in melbourne $700

Waiting on info back re infocrank 

Rog    1,551

I'm a big fan of second hand stuff but would be very hesitant to go that way with a powermeter. I've used Quarq and am now on stages and the dual vs one sided stuff never made any difference to me. 

• Like 1

wombattri    23

So I was about to purchase a Quarq power meter for the P5 - are they any good? Or is there a better option?

I'm looking for a quality PM, so I'm happy to spend as needed. Thanks.

ironpo    2,764
2 hours ago, wombattri said:

So I was about to purchase a Quarq power meter for the P5 - are they any good? Or is there a better option?

I'm looking for a quality PM, so I'm happy to spend as needed. Thanks.

Get a srm  then

• Like 1

ironpo    2,764
3 hours ago, Rog said:

I'm a big fan of second hand stuff but would be very hesitant to go that way with a powermeter. I've used Quarq and am now on stages and the dual vs one sided stuff never made any difference to me. 

Second hand srm  are fine 

the things are pretty much bullet proof

• Like 1

ironpo    2,764
4 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

Powertap single sided pedal 750

Powertap dual pedals 1250

2nd hand pioneer dual sided ultegra off a mate 750. 18 months old

2nd hand dual sided pioneer ultegra 1 month old off stranger in melbourne $700

Waiting on info back re infocrank 

I'd be going the pioneer off your mate 

at least u know it's going straight onto the shiv with no dramas

• Like 2

Hoffy86    65
17 minutes ago, ironpo said:

Yep.

I bought a second hand wireless SRM Dura Ace 7800 for $500 a couple of years ago and it has worked flawlessly.

Despite the fact that it's a dated model, I'm much more confident in the accuracy and consistency of the numbers my SRM gives me than the previous PM I owned.

ironpo    2,764
49 minutes ago, Hoffy86 said:

Yep.

I bought a second hand wireless SRM Dura Ace 7800 for $500 a couple of years ago and it has worked flawlessly.

Despite the fact that it's a dated model, I'm much more confident in the accuracy and consistency of the numbers my SRM gives me than the previous PM I owned.

Yes

i have bought 4 second hand ones 

all still working perfectly 

• Like 1

truck    229
2 hours ago, ironpo said:

Yep had an SRM on my P5 and worked absolutely fine.  I know you replace the battery yourself but I send mine off which was a pain when it was NZ but it's now Adelaide so should be a lot easier timewise.

• Like 1

ashley_s    56
7 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

How much are they charging for freight? Should be under the $1,000 Aud so won't thought duty would be payable.

ghettodeluxe    11
On 6/17/2017 at 0:27 PM, dazmuzza said:

I just ordered the new FSA power crank. It's simply a power2max power meter integrated with a fsa crank. $800 new seems like good value. 

DC rainmaker hasn't reviewed it yet but others have and feedback is initially good. I'm hoping it arrives this week and have it up and running next week.

Unsure if it will a fit a shiv though.

Can't wait to hear what you think mate. I am keen to order a set for my roadie, but the rubber battery cover has me concerned for wet weather