Sign in to follow this  
superboy

Bike Fitting Results

What is the general concensus on bike fittings, are the results positive with improved

riding and eradicating old injury problems?

I guess it depends what you're after.  

As long as you have someone with a lot of experience who understands triathlon and isn't just trying to get you in a "sexy" position then I think the results can be very positive to your overall triathlon experience.

• Like 1

It may depend on what you're after and if you have any issues etc. Using the bike fit calculator at competitive cyclist may work fine for you.

Maybe you're a normal everyday person and a shop fit will work for you. With the online calculator, and maybe an ordinary shop bike fit, just your measurements will be taken into account for the fit.

My mate was fit by a guy in Brissie who used cameras and data points etc and was trying to help him relieve some knee issues.

I was first fit by a local guy who had a rep for fitting difficult cases;  of that I necessarily was. But he was about comfort, and used measurements and a power metre to fit me.

My last fit was done by a podiatrist as I was being fit for orthotics.  She used measurements, cameras, and also assessed my flexibility (or lack there of), and while she found my original fit should be spot on, made some changes to try and help my back, as well as get my feet into a better angle at the bottom  of my pedal stroke.

So one fitter may not fit everyone. Ask around, ask other cyclists, and ask here. Someone here may be able to point you in the right direction.  And get an idea of what you are looking for from it, and if you have any issues you'd like resolved.

9 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

I guess it depends what you're after.  

As long as you have someone with a lot of experience who understands triathlon and isn't just trying to get you in a "sexy" position then I think the results can be very positive to your overall triathlon experience.

Yes, rbr does not look sexy on his bike!

But it worked.

Not sure where you're based, but it's becoming widely accepted that Ryan Williams from 3D Bike Fit in Western Sydney is the preeminent fitter in the country for beginners to pros.

Edited by Hoffy86
  • Like 4

this was my fit from the lbs before I went to see Ryan. As you can see results are a lot better. Have had no problems with pain or discomfort so far. I would highly recommend seeing him. 

• Like 2

My LBS fitted me to my bike when I bought it. My position was too uncomfortable to maintain for 90km. I went to a professional bike fitter and was able to stay on the aero bars for 180km with out problems. Money very well spent.

If you are in Melb, then http://www.riderfit.cc/ . Everyone I know that has been to him has had a positive outcome.

Be prepared to spend above the fit cost, as you may need things like stems, shims, in-soles, saddle, etc.

• Like 1

I used to have heaps of problems on longer rides. got a bike fit by Ben from Cycle Dynamics in Brisbane and problems went away. 

Every bike shop has an "expert fitter" they have completed a 2 day course & have a shinny certificate on the wall.  

My LBS would drop comments like "we can get you on that bike"  "lets just put a bigger stem on it"   

Before I order my next TT rig I will be getting Frame & component fitting done by an independant bike fitter.   Then ordering a bike that fits me. 

Dropping $300/$500 is better than dropping $1500 on new race wheels.

• Like 1

I remember my very first, semi decent bike purchased from an lbs. Just like my first set of golf clubs, they measured me and said off the rack will fit me fine. I'm 176cm and road a 60cm bike for 20 years. Of course I knew nothing about bikes, so didn't really put any thought to the fact the seat was nearly resting on the top tube.

15 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Find one who is also a physio and you can get it substantially cheaper via private health. :D

18 hours ago, Bored@work said:

I went to Stewart Morton in melbourne (riderfit as mentioned by Naut), the best $450.00 I've spent on my bike. I had a fit done on my roadie and will go back and get one done on my TT before next season.

• Like 1