Sign in to follow this  
FatPom

Leeds ITU

16 minutes ago, Buggeracup said:

How's Ash Gentle going?

she wouldn't want to be out done by Josh today!

8th

Brownlees destroyed the field on the bike.  Ali just pulling away from Johnny on the run, daylight to Alarza.

58 minutes ago, FatPom said:

Brownlees destroyed the field on the bike.  Ali just pulling away from Johnny on the run, daylight to Alarza.

So the DNF in last weekend's Challenge Championship was merely strategic?

BTW - is this race a British (England) Commonwealth Games Selection race?

Seems like Brownlee is a mercenary with his racing or is it appearance money, too unfit to race at super league(took the money) couple of weeks later scotches  70.3, ( say your unfit)goes to Challenge(what was his appearance money there?) then dnf again and comes out one week later flying??? Lost me in a big way. Integrity????

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Pineapple said:

Seems like Brownlee is a mercenary with his racing or is it appearance money, too unfit to race at super league(took the money) couple of weeks later scotches  70.3, ( say your unfit)goes to Challenge(what was his appearance money there?) then dnf again and comes out one week later flying??? Lost me in a big way. Integrity????

His net worth is over £3m,  what ever he is doing, it's not for the money.

So where does his income come from? It is related to triathlon and his performances, if he wasn't in the sport would his "worth" be 3 ?? So yes this is what he does for his money, good way to dilute your brand value.

ITU race in Leeds, lots of promotion, Locals, lots of fans. Guy peaks for his bread and butter, ITU. Uses last week as a training day by pulling pin on the run.

Sanders fan boys on twits go all estactic over their boy's dominance when in fact AB was tuning up. He's a draw card can't expect him to peak every week and he probably gets national funding.

Might see how Sanders goes against him when there is something serious on the line. Super league is a distraction, not at a time of year when the serious players are tuned up, Murray decided to give it a crack and did well and it was a good chance for the up and comers. AB if serious wins any race

16 minutes ago, Pineapple said:

So where does his income come from? It is related to triathlon and his performances, if he wasn't in the sport would his "worth" be 3 ?? So yes this is what he does for his money, good way to dilute your brand value.

He has two Olympic gold medals, is the most well known Triathlete in Britain and must be getting close to the most well known current sportsman in the UK right now. He has massive endorsement from Adidas and as far as I'm aware, all the net worth has come from his/their achievement in Tri.

When you don't live here, it's easy to underestimate how huge the Brownlee name is.  AB and JB have done more for their sport than almost anyone I can think of in the UK. A few years ago I would have said Jess Ennis was the biggest name/face in UK sport but I think that mantle has been passed.

He's not diluting his 'brand' (as you put it) he just knows that winning at home, especially at Leeds is about the biggest thing he can do outside of the Olympics. He's already rich, if he wants to get richer or cherry pick the races he's doing, I'd say he's earned that right.

You make him sound like Dwight Yorke at A League. :lol:

Edited by FatPom
  • Like 3

Still doesn't cut what has been seen in the last 6 months . See plenty of athletes riding on past deeds , yes been pretty successful at the  Olympics , rosy coloured glasses always cover many faults.

1 hour ago, Pineapple said:

Just trying to think of another sport where this doesn't happen at an elite level?  Triathletes have a very limited time span in terms of earning $$'s at the top of their sport - it's not like golf where you can play for years, earn heaps of $$'s and never win anything.  He has to commit to a race well in advance and if something's not right on the day then pull the plug and move on.

So how many times as a race promoter would you put money up for a athlete that does not perform when outside their niche and keeps putting their hand out for appearance money? Doesn't matter what sport it's all about a return from your investment, a big name that takes fees and doesn't perform will soon lose their luster and drawing power. Sponsorship and appearance money is not what the athlete can get but what value and return is there for the company putting up the dollars. Ever sit and watch pro cycling? Watch how some of the small teams will have riders attack early and break away and stay out front for hours with little hope of winning the stage, it is to ensure their sponsors have coverage sometimes for hours

51 minutes ago, Pineapple said:

Still doesn't cut what has been seen in the last 6 months . See plenty of athletes riding on past deeds , yes been pretty successful at the  Olympics , rosy coloured glasses always cover many faults.

Pretty sucessful yeah :lol:

38 minutes ago, truck said:

Just trying to think of another sport where this doesn't happen at an elite level? 

If it's happening in all sports, I'll bet the bookies would love to know which ones these guys are picking as their A-Races.

If a race promoter doesn't have a clause that they need to finish to get the appearance money, then they are dumb. 

I remember when Roth stumped up 50k for macca to race, and his clause had he had to start the bike. 

And he pulled out after 5k of the bike. 

Personally id say you need to finish first and if you win we will double it. 

18 minutes ago, FatPom said:

Pretty sucessful yeah :lol:

In only   one aspect of the sport, so it totally depends on your perspective of what the sport is about , five ring circus is not the be all to our dport

Surely in individual endurance sports as soon as you realise you ain't gonna podium then you throw in the towel? You see it in Formula 1 all the time. No point in trashing yourself if you ain't gonna win. I think he's been smart. And yeah, both of them are heroes as far as I am concerned. On top of being fantastic athletes and nice guys (I've met them on finish lines volunteering a couple of times) they are now doing great things for triathlon in the UK with their foundation.

1 hour ago, Pineapple said:

tough crowd

• Like 1

It's not like its a spectator sport, so who gives a faark- besides i bet the organisers knew that AB was focused on Leeds when they signed him. He gave them good value - lots of pre race publicity. Pushing the best for the swim, bike and first lap of the run. Sure, he might have done himself some PR favours if he ran the last 14km at tempo - as a cooldown at 4min/km, but really other than picky Trannies I don't think anybody else cares ...

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Pineapple said:

In only   one aspect of the sport, so it totally depends on your perspective of what the sport is about , five ring circus is not the be all to our dport

And that's why you can't work out where his wealth has come from.  Track racing isn't the be all and end all of cycling, but Trotty, Hoy et al aren't going to starve anytime soon.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, FatPom said:

And that's why you can't work out where his wealth has come from.  Track racing isn't the be all and end all of cycling, but Trotty, Hoy et al aren't going to starve anytime soon.

This gets away from my initial points, I have my view, differs to yours so be it . Some follow itu others are not interested, live with it

27 minutes ago, Pineapple said:

This gets away from my initial points, I have my view, differs to yours so be it . Some follow itu others are not interested, live with it

No it doesn't. You asked where his wealth came from, i explained that. If you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask the question.

3 minutes ago, FatPom said:

No it doesn't. You asked where his wealth came from, i explained that. If you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask the question.

Good to see you know his income stream and Adidas budget, again point is putting your hand out and not performing, don't really care about hero worship I am making a point about sporting integrity.

Shit if Alistair Brownlee doesn't have sporting integrity no one does... I don't think he's the kinda dude that takes no winning and/or DNFs lightly. I also doubt he's doing it for the pay check. But I do know he's trying his best to stay injury free and that could have something to do with it... maybe he'll have a win at 70.3 champs. Would that be enough for him to have some sort of sporting integrity? 

• Like 6