AA7

Don't be THAT triathlete.....

.....that rides down on your TT bars, drafting off someone you don't know, with your head down, at 7am on a weekday morning on the busiest commuter pathway in Brisbane.

Nearly taken down by a female rider yesterday morning, dumb move.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, dazmuzza said:

I thought the commuter cup was a non-drafting event!

Not a chance. Sit in, sit in, sit in, then pounce.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, dazmuzza said:

I thought the commuter cup was a non-drafting event!

No it is ridiculous. I usually work slightly out of 'office hours' so my commute into work is before 6am and back home is about 3pm. The past two weeks I have been on normal hours. Seeing the dangerous riding behaviour on the paths makes me glad I'm not usually out there at those times. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, AA7 said:

No it is ridiculous. I usually work slightly out of 'office hours' so my commute into work is before 6am and back home is about 3pm. The past two weeks I have been on normal hours. Seeing the dangerous riding behaviour on the paths makes me glad I'm not usually out there at those times. 

Could not agree more. I used to ride the Bicennetennial to work every day, but fortunately I was commuting against the main bike traffic.

My pet hate was those coming the other way doing the 'triple overtake' - when a rider decides to overtake someone already overtaking...meaning they'd ride into oncoming bike traffic i.e. me.

8 hours ago, dazmuzza said:

My pet hate was those coming the other way doing the 'triple overtake' - when a rider decides to overtake someone already overtaking...meaning they'd ride into oncoming bike traffic i.e. me.

I get this every time I go for a run around 6pm along the Moonee Ponds Creek path, and Footscray Rd. At times I've taken to shouting like a lunatic. Had a couple of cuppers almost apologise.  I think I might also have to arm myself with a bazillion lumen torch to compete.

The "Super Commuters" do not like to be overtaken by a female - it's comical to watch them time trialling to work along the bike path 

• Like 1

On 6/6/2017 at 8:52 AM, AA7 said:

.....that rides down on your TT bars, drafting off someone you don't know, with your head down, at 7am on a weekday morning on the busiest commuter pathway in Brisbane.

Nearly taken down by a female rider yesterday morning, dumb move.

Are all folks with TT bars triathletes ? :whistling:

If ur in front, your not going to be taken down before they are

Reminds me of the Main Yarra Trail - try that one against the flow in peak hour  :wallbash: - lots of DH's and twisty corners they will overtake on.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Turts said:

Are all folks with TT bars triathletes ? :whistling:

If ur in front, your not going to be taken down before they are

If she tipped my wheel, we'd both be going down. 

She just had the triathlete look :wink1:

Guess im lucky or unworldly.

Never been taken down (or seen anyone) taken down from their rear wheel clipped. 

Ive been front and back before. 2 decks front, none rear. 

Bur if they get u hard enough anythings possible

a couple of said TT'rs on some very expensive rigs got offended this morning. when I caught up to their group on a borrowed roadie whilst wearing a knapsack containing my big lunch.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Merv said:

a couple of said TT'rs on some very expensive rigs got offended this morning. when I caught up to their group on a borrowed roadie whilst wearing a knapsack containing my big lunch.

It's even better when said roadie is steel, and a single speed, and you're not wearing lycra. :)

• Like 1

On 07/06/2017 at 0:51 PM, AP said:

The "Super Commuters" do not like to be overtaken by a female - it's comical to watch them time trialling to work along the bike path 

From what my partner tells me - male triathletes are no different

3 hours ago, Merv said:

Were they on race wheels too???

8 minutes ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Were they on race wheels too???

Using race wheels only for racing is a total waste of money.  The difference between races wheel & training wheels in cost is fk all these days & not worth the effort changing out.  

I don't own a set of alloy rims.  I have 4 sets of wheels all carbon.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Using race wheels only for racing is a total waste of money.  The difference between races wheel & training wheels in cost is fk all these days & not worth the effort changing out.  

4 sets of wheels all carbon so what does the other 3 sets do?

You cant ride on them all at once so really just a total waste of money

Say I'm fast.  Triathlon is my passion (or cycling TT).  I invest all my hard erned dosh in a super duper race bike. 

I decide to commute to work by bike insted of drive/bus/etc as it's a nice day, and whatever.....

Am I to be laughed at? WTF?

Plenty of times on here when folks are looking at buying a new bike the suggestions are made to get the best one you can to race with, but still do other rides on as well. 

Drafting off strangers is bad. 

Drafting on aerobars is bad.

But commuting on an exxy bike?  Or not going super fast on an exxy bike?  Seriously?  Whats wrong with that if you don't know the person or the story?

Some people are a bit high and mighty about triathletes being wankers, fast bikes can only be ridden fast in races etc..........thats wanky. 

• Like 5

Just now, Fitness Buddy said:

How many pairs of shorts/jocks/pants/tshirts do you own?  Any more than 2 (accounting for a wash day)?

How many glasses? plates? knives/forks?

Same deal mate. 

I have more than one bike/car/motorbike/boat.   Different types for different things. 

• Like 1

Jocks dont cost $2000-$5000 

Jocks dont break if you crash, hit a pot hole or easily replaced carbon wheels are not.

Jocks hard to steal off you. Carbon wheels and bikes get stolen a lot more often.  

In reference to being fast.  So if you are BOP are you fast?  If you are overweight considerably are you getting benefit at all?   I am relating to those who actually buy the most expensive shit to boost the ego.  

My biggest pet hate is some random just sitting on my wheel drafting when Im fat and unfit or there's a head wind.

I usually slow right down and they still dont pass, so i sit up turn around and tell them or wave them to pass. This gets up my goat.

But if people want to spend their hard earned on expensive bikes and the like I say why not. Unfortunately people are very jealous of others but its all relative. Just chill, worry about yourself and stay in your own square metre.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Jocks dont cost $2000-$5000 

Jocks dont break if you crash, hit a pot hole or easily replaced carbon wheels are not.

Jocks hard to steal off you. Carbon wheels and bikes get stolen a lot more often.  

In reference to being fast.  So if you are BOP are you fast?  If you are overweight considerably are you getting benefit at all?   I am relating to those who actually buy the most expensive shit to boost the ego.  

Sometimes when I hit a pothole my jocks need replacing. ??

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bored@work said:

The difference between races wheel & training wheels in cost is fk all these days & not worth the effort changing out.

The wheels I commute on cost $80 for the pair (would have been $300 new). The abuse they cop, I'd hate to use expensive wheels.

9 hours ago, Bored@work said:

9 hours ago, Fitness Buddy said:

9 hours ago, Turts said:

How many pairs of shorts/jocks/pants/tshirts do you own?  Any more than 2 (accounting for a wash day)?

How many glasses? plates? knives/forks?

Same deal mate. 

I have more than one bike/car/motorbike/boat.   Different types for different things. 

Turts, I figured he was just having a go at B@W for what he'd just said previously, not for having 4 sets of wheels. Used the same wording & all.

• Like 1