goughy    1,999

Yeah, I think some would say that a bike fit will get you lower or something.  But I think, especially for long distance, it's about comfort equalling better ability to ride stronger the whole time equalling a better time.

If it's purely about getting the best aero results (not a bling issue) is it still, in order of most benefit, helmet then wheels?  

roxii    4,000

Pair of one season old Cadens on Bicycle Market Sydney for $800 

Otherwise Id just go for New Cadens (especially if you live in Sydney, you can pick up, Ben will fit your tyres, cassette and brake pads for you) 

http://www.carbonbikewheels.com.au/en/

dazmuzza    33
3 hours ago, goughy said:

Yeah, I think some would say that a bike fit will get you lower or something.  But I think, especially for long distance, it's about comfort equalling better ability to ride stronger the whole time equalling a better time.

If it's purely about getting the best aero results (not a bling issue) is it still, in order of most benefit, helmet then wheels?  

I believe so.

I always refer to this:

https://cyclingtips.com/2010/04/biggest-bang-for-your-buck-in-time-trial-equipment/

Skinsuit, aero bars, helmet, position, then wheels. Interesting that frame is last. 

trek52    480

really depends on budget. A set of Hed Jet 6s used for $1000 or a Dura Ace C50s in clincher.

Full carbon wheels are great but they are a bit of a bugger for newbies, can he hard to get tyres on and off and braking can be hit and miss. Caden are excellent wheels if you want to go that route. 

personally I would buy some older tubular 60 for $500 and only use them for racing.

• Like 3

Fitness Buddy    602
40 minutes ago, trek52 said:

really depends on budget. A set of Hed Jet 6s used for $1000 or a Dura Ace C50s in clincher.

Full carbon wheels are great but they are a bit of a bugger for newbies, can he hard to get tyres on and off and braking can be hit and miss. Caden are excellent wheels if you want to go that route. 

personally I would buy some older tubular 60 for $500 and only use them for racing.

I thought it was a requirement to train on your RACE WHEELS

goughy    1,999

Only if having coffee

• Like 1

Fitness Buddy    602
5 minutes ago, goughy said:

Only if having coffee

Seen some trihardathletes riding on discs last saturday along beach rd.  1 in the middle of a bunch ride. 2 being passed by old guys on their 1980's bikes.

Even worse is when you run past them up an incline. 

• Like 2

zed    752

Never understood why people train on $3000 worth of wheels, my training wheels get a fair amount of abuse, almost hitting stuff in the road..

willie    608

if i didnt train with my race kit I wouldnt trust it to race on... 

goughy    1,999
53 minutes ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Seen some trihardathletes riding on discs last saturday along beach rd.  1 in the middle of a bunch ride. 2 being passed by old guys on their 1980's bikes.

Even worse is when you run past them up an incline. 

That's why I ride crappy of bikes..... no one puts any thought to it when they go past me, they expect to be overtaking me!

zed    752
4 minutes ago, willie said:

if i didnt train with my race kit I wouldnt trust it to race on... 

Always have a training ride or two with full kit prior to a big race, but training regularly with race wheels, skin suit, aero helmet etc...a lot of wear and tear on expensive kit. 

Mishca    11

Oh lord! I think I’m more confused now than when I started!  So many differing opinions and options - sometimes it’s easier to simply choose between A and B!  A few questions came up…  I have been riding for a few years now and do Olys and may end up doing some HIM distances in the future, but it’s not on the cards straight away.  I am a lighter, smaller rider, so the deep rims / disk may be an issue, but I’ve never done a tri in cross winds. 

I understand that training wheels are exactly that - to train on, but I also think, why have good wheels and not use them.  When I changed the training wheels on my roadie a couple of years ago (well the other half got me a present), I noticed a huge difference, mainly in accelerating off from lights etc.  I was able to keep up with better riders rather than having to chase the pack down at every set of lights!  So the enjoyment of the ride increased.  BUT, TT riding will be on my own so that’s a moot point now I guess.  Maybe I should keep the wheels and just rent race wheels when I need them?  Too much to think about

• Like 1

Cape_Horn    163
37 minutes ago, Mishca said:

Maybe I should keep the wheels and just rent race wheels when I need them?  Too much to think about

There is always a lot to think about, but most of the time it might not be worth the effort.

#1 - Life is too short to ride shit bikes (ie. if you want nice wheels, [and can afford them], buy them, enjoy them. simple)

#2 - There should be the ability to hire race wheels, but you may also have friends not racing something who may lend you good wheels too. (And you can always ask to borrow for a test ride so you will know what you want - would Zipp 404 or 808 be better, what about Cadens, or Reynolds, or Mavics, or FFWDs? see what else people have, borrow and test, see what works for you - Ask - at worst they might say no.) [And yes, that means if someone needs to borrow a FFWD 90/Disc combo in ACT and I am not racing that weekend - just ask - bit late for Cairns though...]

Edited by Cape_Horn
  • Like 1

bRace    36

Don't overthink it. I have the stock wheels on my roadie. Good hubs etc but not 'race wheels'. I bought some Cadens (59/81) in December and they're excellent... as well as being a good price. I leave them on my TT bike all the time because I can't be bothered swapping in training wheels & brake pads. I generally only ride my TT a couple of times a month, so they don't get much wear & tear anyway. Maybe different if I was IM training and needed to do more K's on the TT.

• Like 1

Mishca    11

I bit the bullet and bought new Cadens 49/81 and had them fitted yesterday :D

Ben recommended to just leave them on there as they don't wear as much as they used to due to better materials. He also said that they brake just as well as allu now as the braking surface is flat and the water doesnt get trapped(?)

Haven't had a chance to try them out yet though so can't review them, but Ben seems to know his stuff.

Anyone know what I can do with the rims I took off the bike? Who would want them?

• Like 2

ironpo    2,764
19 minutes ago, Mishca said:

I bit the bullet and bought new Cadens 49/81 and had them fitted yesterday :D

Ben recommended to just leave them on there as they don't wear as much as they used to due to better materials. He also said that they brake just as well as allu now as the braking surface is flat and the water doesnt get trapped(?)

Haven't had a chance to try them out yet though so can't review them, but Ben seems to know his stuff.

Anyone know what I can do with the rims I took off the bike? Who would want them?

Good move

throw the other rims away or donate to a school or something

or keep em in case u need them if something happens to the Cadens

FatPom    2,216

Congrats on your purchase Mishca.  I went back and forth a while back and bought some Zipp 404s in March ( non NSW).

i have Magura hydro brakes on my P3 and setting them up was bit finicky, so I leave my wheels in all the time and ride my TT bike about twice a week ( turbo and road). The main reason for me is re-fitting the other pads and adjusting for my other wheels is a pain I don't need. If I put the Zips on my road bike, the pad swap is easier.

I don't overly worry about leaving them on the TT bike, they've been through some shitty conditions here. This coming winter I will invest in a direct trainer though.

• Like 2