The Customer

IM World Record - Tim Don

Jan Frodeno is looking at lowering it at Austria than his Challenge Roth mark. How have you been Customer  keeping well?:D

Edited by Chuckie M

So if this is a fast course b@w will be signing up today

or is he just got good form and good "nutrition "

It's not a particularly fast course so must've been very favourable wind direction. 

I was going to do it in 2016 but Rog said it's not a very safe location for my family to visit.  

I wonder if any of these top level pros will give Busso a crack.  Tipping they won't because it's at after the season has finished.

Just an inversion of last year and what goes on at the front of the race in Brazil.
Last year McMahon got on the lead vehicle and Don was well back.
This year  McMahon missed it in the swim, Don made it, and probably recalled how last year's race played out so made the move himself.

They love to play with numbers so I am sure that Best Bike Split can totally ratify the legitimacy based on 'FTP', course, weather, etc. ;-)

That said, Don had to put himself in position, and the RD's should keep vehicles at distance, keep away from the lead athlete or disqualify them...but having a fast race and the bonus of a world record has proven an influencer in more races than just this one.
Again...no discredit to Tim Don.

An 'equal' performance on the same course in a 70.3 is a circa 3h33m in my estimation.

I can only guess that Kienle would have ridden a 3:55 or faster, apparently.

Edited by MJK
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bored@work said:

I was going to do it in 2016 but Rog said it's not a very safe location for my family to visit.  

I wonder if any of these top level pros will give Busso a crack.  Tipping they won't because it's at after the season has finished.

Safety is often a matter of perception. If you were concerned by guns and mass shootings you would never visit the US. If you were worried by terror attacks you would never visit Europe. 

Brazil, in the last few years, has successfully hosted the soccer World Cup and the Olympics. I spent 3 weeks in Brazil in 2015 and felt safe throughout my stay. Brazil and Rio in particular has some amazing sights and fantastic beaches.

If you are going all the way to Brazil make time to go to Peru. Machu Picchu and the Nazca lines are incredible. Peru would not be suitable as a family holiday unless your kids are teenagers.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ironnerd said:

Safety is often a matter of perception. If you were concerned by guns and mass shootings you would never visit the US. If you were worried by terror attacks you would never visit Europe. 

Brazil, in the last few years, has successfully hosted the soccer World Cup and the Olympics. I spent 3 weeks in Brazil in 2015 and felt safe throughout my stay. Brazil and Rio in particular has some amazing sights and fantastic beaches.

If you are going all the way to Brazil make time to go to Peru. Machu Picchu and the Nazca lines are incredible. Peru would not be suitable as a family holiday unless your kids are teenagers.

But did you visit the site of the race?

Rog completed the race a few years prior.  I respect Rog's opinion and decided to pick another event.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Rog completed the race a few years prior.  I respect Rog's opinion and decided to pick another event.  

He just didn't want you to go faster than him.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

No I did not go to Florianópolis.

13 hours ago, The Customer said:
Don, Tim GBR 1 1 1 00:44:16 04:06:56 02:44:46 07:40:23 ---

Bike split was extraordinary. How!

Am confused by this record for the following reason:

Jan Frodeno. Current record holder for the fastest time for all Iron-distance races (7:35:39 at Challenge Roth in 2016) (not a WTC event)

Yep, been through this not that long ago when someone else did a world record.... That it's an "ironman" record, not an "iron distance" record. 

I'm sceptical of this performance. It's a gut feeling, but something just doesn't add up. 

Just now, Greyman said:

I'm sceptical of this performance. It's a gut feeling, but something just doesn't add up. 

Please explain?  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Word is last year the early leader got a huge sit behind the lead moto & pulled away, so Tim made full use of it this year.

Not interested in Challenge at all, but generally when we speak Ironman and records you are essentially referring to distances....and given they are the same distances talking of a world record is a mute point. 

Except ironman can't control what distance challenge actually make its races and technically they can't advertise them as ironman so...

It's not like a marathon that's certified.

4 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

Except ironman can't control what distance challenge actually make its races and technically they can't advertise them as ironman so...

It's not like a marathon that's certified.

Ironman can't get the distances for their races correct. 

Wasn't Macca accused of cheating a few years ago & then denied it.  I'm talking about in Roth not Kona. 

I'm here in Brazil right now visiting family with my 2 little ones and the wife so perhaps I should've been a bit more specific about the safety thing. 

When B@W asked about the race and whether I'd recommend it I said I can't really recommend Brazil to anyone due to safety concerns and that is still exactly how I feel about it still (ironically I'm here with everything that is precious to me in life - except for my p5 perhaps). 

It's not like I think you will for sure get robbed or worse but it would be irresponsible of me to not mention this as it should be a consideration when you decide to visit, specially when you are bringing family with you.

For the most part this is a great country with great people but it has been let down by uneducated voters, corrupt politicians and their insatiable greed. The last 3-4 years has seen the country face one of its biggest economic crisis and this means unemployment, lower incomes and a large part of the population living below he poverty line... So the social problems that come with it are pretty obvious. 

If you watch TV or read the news here you would never want to visit this place but if you're a seasoned traveller and do your research you can easily avoid the "pockets" of extreme violence and have a great experience.

Florianopolis can be a great place to visit, relatively safe and with good infrastructure so if after careful consideration you still decide to come to Brazil, I'd definitely recommend there as a destination. 

If it was me, I'd spend my money elsewhere at least for now. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Word is last year the early leader got a huge sit behind the lead moto & pulled away, so Tim made full use of it this year.

Didnt this happen at 70.3 too

1 hour ago, Greyman said:

1 hour ago, Bored@work said:

Please explain?  

I think he is suggesting drug assistance. 

Tim don served a ban back n 2006 or 07. Not a long one. 6 months I think. 

Im sure the search function on here will bring up several threads. 

Found it. 3 month ban for not being able to use a computer. 

Or pretending to not know. 

some blast from the past names posting. 

Listening to a podcast this morning and they mentioned that Tim Don went 8:04 (I think) last year.

So a 25 minute PB.

Last years winner did 7:46

This year a 7:40.

A nice improvement from Tim.

12 hours ago, Rog said:

I'm here in Brazil right now visiting family with my 2 little ones and the wife so perhaps I should've been a bit more specific about the safety thing. 

When B@W asked about the race and whether I'd recommend it I said I can't really recommend Brazil to anyone due to safety concerns and that is still exactly how I feel about it still (ironically I'm here with everything that is precious to me in life - except for my p5 perhaps).

Enjoy your trip to Brazil. Hope it is a safe one.

2 hours ago, Ironnerd said:

Enjoy your trip to Brazil. Hope it is a safe one.

I just noticed you live in Wiluna.  I just spent a week out that way, no wonder you think Brazil is safe :) 

• Like 1

Good to see a guy that has done time for not complying with the doping regime holds the record. 

Great story of redemption. Great to see miracles happen. Great day for the sport.

Anyway, the professional wrestling is on the TV, gotta go. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bored@work said:

I just noticed you live in Wiluna.  I just spent a week out that way, no wonder you think Brazil is safe :) 

Actually I work Fly In / Fly Out at a mine near Wiluna. There have been some huge improvements in Wiluna over the last few years - new school, new hospital, new police station. However there are area's that sadly look like a third world country and I would not feel safe walking through at night.

Working at an underground mine may skew my perception of safety. :wink3: 

4 hours ago, Oompa Loompa said:

Good to see a guy that has done time for not complying with the doping regime holds the record. 

Great story of redemption. Great to see miracles happen. Great day for the sport.

Anyway, the professional wrestling is on the TV, gotta go. 

Next Schapelle will be doing Kona.

Professional wrestling on TV. Don't you mean professional acting!

2 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Next Schapelle will be doing Kona.

Professional wrestling on TV. Don't you mean professional acting!

Lol.... she maybe the next holder of the record.... anthing is possible. 

Mind you you she wouldn't know she did it and probably wouldn't accept and goodie bags.... lol

Edited by Oompa Loompa

How can we have a world record time when all the courses are different?  It is a course record.

The same goes for marathons matter of fact any event held outside a stadium/or venue where the distance is the exactly the same, there is no climbs and descents IMO.

Yes the time is the fastest over the ironman distance (that is if the course is the correct distance) but it is not a world record.

Does GUINESS have to ratify the record to be a world record?

World record is too easily used word now.  Like the AFL saying a player got a world record number of possessions.  

For about the 3rd Time this week, I totally agree with you FB. 

Its a course record. 

2 hours ago, Fitness Buddy said:

World record is too easily used word now.  Like the AFL saying a player got a world record number of possessions.  

I think you meant the use of the word "legend" in the football world is used to frequently.

The thread on Facebook on Grant Giles page is interesting. 

A few pros calling bullsh1t on it being a world record. 

7 hours ago, Peter said:

The thread on Facebook on Grant Giles page is interesting. 

A few pros calling bullsh1t on it being a world record. 

people actually know who Tim Don is, can't say the same for those commenting. Tim Don is a proven long term Pro he got the best of the conditions and used them. On ST fi it was starky or Sanders they would all be falling over themselves to go on about how he is the greatest ever and going to beat frodeno

24 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

people actually know who Tim Don is, can't say the same for those commenting. Tim Don is a proven long term Pro he got the best of the conditions and used them. On ST fi it was starky or Sanders they would all be falling over themselves to go on about how he is the greatest ever and going to beat frodeno

Couple of world class coaches doing most of the commenting.  Probably 2 of the best coaches currently in long course in Australia. I respect their comments and would suggest a lot of others would too.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

Couple of world class coaches doing most of the commenting.  Probably 2 of the best coaches currently in long course in Australia. I respect their comments and would suggest a lot of others would too.

Don is a long term world class athlete why can't we respect him

29 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Don is a long term world class athlete why can't we respect him

I wouldn't have a clue whether this is because he's on juice or not, but in my mind, and from the comments those guys made, it's all in the draft behind the moto. He saw what it did last year, so he didn't make the mistake of missing it this year. 

But respect? Nup. He missed too many drug tests for me to respect him.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I wouldn't have a clue whether this is because he's on juice or not, but in my mind, and from the comments those guys made, it's all in the draft behind the moto. He saw what it did last year, so he didn't make the mistake of missing it this year. 

But respect? Nup. He missed too many drug tests for me to respect him.

Hammer meet nail 

13 hours ago, Fitness Buddy said:

How can we have a world record time when all the courses are different?  It is a course record.

The same goes for marathons matter of fact any event held outside a stadium/or venue where the distance is the exactly the same, there is no climbs and descents IMO.

Many of the requirements to comply with a marathon world record are non-existent in triathlon. Two very different cases.

You can run a PB at Boston but can't be a WR.

1 hour ago, Paul Every said:

Many of the requirements to comply with a marathon world record are non-existent in triathlon. Two very different cases.

You can run a PB at Boston but can't be a WR.

I thought that because of these variances that the proper phrase for a marathon was 'World Best', not WR. I also recall a stipulation that to qualify for a potential 'world best' the course had to satisfy a number of requirements, ie.

1. Had to be run on either an 'out and back' or loop course;

2.The start and finish lines had to be within 1km of each other;

3. The total distance that to be surveyor certified to within 10M; and

4. The altitude difference between start and finish lines could not exceed 5 or 10M in elevation.

There are quite a number of ironman course out there that might be able satisfy those criteria - if they were measured correctly. Obviously an additional critical issue in triathlon is drafting - both off other competitions and still it seems off official race support vehicles ...

It's not like Don is not the only one to benefit from the lead moto, Frodeno etc all have. in the Allen scott era they had a van.

Don got the break and got the time. What that time means in comparison to others little other than maybe they need to get the moto further away from the bikes.

Is don as good as frodo, crowie, nup is he is as good better than starky or sanders definitely.

22 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

It's not like Don is not the only one to benefit from the lead moto, Frodeno etc all have. in the Allen scott era they had a van.

Don got the break and got the time. What that time means in comparison to others little other than maybe they need to get the moto further away from the bikes.

Is don as good as frodo, crowie, nup is he is as good better than starky or sanders definitely.

Has Frodeno use the lead motorbike before? 

I know the 2016 70.3 womens champion was technically drafting off the lead motorbike.  

So if you are leading you can use the lead vehicles as a draft, pacing tool?  Do the rules say anything about it?  I am not sure if it does.  If it doesnt they are using the rules to their advantage then. 

Is this fair definetly not so maybe the rules need addressing. 

From TA's RCR, So I would assume these rules are addressed globally. 

3.9 Bicycle or Motorcycle Draft Distance a. For all events with a cycling distance up to and including the standard distance, the bicycle or motorcycle draft zone is a distance of 10 metres. The front edge of the front bicycle or motorcycle wheel defines the start of the draft zone. Competitors have 20 seconds to pass through this zone. Also, see Clause 3.11(g) below. b. For all events with a cycling distance greater than a standard distance, the bicycle or motorcycle draft zone is a distance of 12 metres. The front edge of the front bicycle or motorcycle wheel defines the start of the draft zone. Competitors have 25 seconds to pass through this zone.

3.10 Vehicle Draft Zone a. For all events, the vehicle draft zone is 35 metres. The front edge of the vehicle defines the start of the draft zone. b. The driver of any race participation vehicle is deemed the responsible to ensure that this zone is not overlapped by the draft zone of a competitor.