Sign in to follow this  
Andrew #1

SRAM BB30

My new TT bike comes with SRAM BB30 cranks - 53/39 chain rings. Which is nice, but I prefer a 52/36 set up and was wondering what my options were to change over the chain rings. Any body have some suggestions? Want to get it done before I fly up to Cairns next weekend ...

53/39 chainrings are 130BCD. I wouldn't know the BCD of 52/36 as I've never used them, but I would imagine you will need a new spider as I have a feeling it's 110BCD.

What model cranks are they? Red or Force? If they are Force, after buying or sourcing a new 110BCD spider, you unbolt the crank arms (3x T25 bolts) and can swap over the spider to 110BCD which will accommodate your chainrings of choice. Most Red models have the carbon spider that isn't changeable, but if you have just Red crank arms with a Force spider you're in luck. 

If you can post a pic, it would help with suggestions

I can't see how you would notice much difference between 53/39 and 52/36. It would be easier to change the back cassette and you may get the same gearing outcome.

11 hours ago, Blacky said:

I can't see how you would notice much difference between 53/39 and 52/36. It would be easier to change the back cassette and you may get the same gearing outcome.

Thanks guys - I'll investigate this further when I get back from Cairns - it seems that there is not the 10 minute cheap fix that I was after.

blacky - having used both I just find the compact cranks a more appropriate fit for my power and cadence across the range.

i thought of getting a new cassette but I really can't justify the money for a 27 just so I can lug myself a little easier up Rex Lookout twice in one race.  A can of HTFU and a 39/25 will have to do ?

18 hours ago, Blacky said:

On the contrary, there's a massive massive difference between the two! 

Maybe you live in the flatlands? You'd never hear this from a Brisbanite

• Like 1