Peter

So I'm hearing Busso Ironman is the last one

IronmanFoz    664
13 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

Do we really need aid stations every 2km?

I think IM is the only event where I've encountered it, regardless of the temperature.

I agree with Paul. It seems excessively frequent. If you can't get through 4-5KM you probably haven't fuel right during the pre race days or on the bike on race day.

Dave T    98
25 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

I agree with Paul. It seems excessively frequent. If you can't get through 4-5KM you probably haven't fuel right during the pre race days or on the bike on race day.

C'mon mate. I can barely run "Aid Station" to "Aid Station" as it is......and now you want them to be 5 km apart.

Geez, I'd have to do some training to meet those standards. :wheelchair:

• Like 5

lzbones    217
2 hours ago, Paul Every said:

I think IM is the only event where I've encountered it, regardless of the temperature.

If it's like everything else I've noticed about triathletes - its because they are special 

• Like 1

lzbones    217
11 hours ago, Flanman said:

On another note, Busso half is on the same day as Port full/half in 2018 again. 

FM

I thought tri wa's agreement with IM expired this year - does that mean tri WA has secured a new agreement for busso 70.3 in may?

Bored@work    1,496

Isn't there someone on this site who is involved in running the event or tri WA???

Tritrx??? Be interesting to get his input.

• Like 1

zed    771
33 minutes ago, lzbones said:

If it's like everything else I've noticed about triathletes - its because they are special 

Scratching my head at everyone having kittens pre-Busso because aid stations had been reduced.... one on a bike course with 2 laps is plenty, plus there was an unmanned one. Run was fine. 2 stations for 3.5km is more than enough.

• Like 1

Oompa Loompa    664
8 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Not sure about finishers but entrants before race day were:

2012 -1510

2013 - 1572

2014 - 1699

2015 - 1203

2016 - 1382

2017 -  Last one apparently ;) so they will probably get about 15000 people rushing in to compete. great Marketing.

Or maybe transitions are doing there Marketing for them :). Roxii..hope your getting some sort of kick back!

probably need starters...... tourism sells govt dollars, so entrants can be different to starters so to speak depending on withdrawal.   Probably also need to do this with all the ironmans combined if looking at sports decline. would be interesting.

Kurnell is down to two races, one local tri club use to quote 550 members, they never quote that now, the shire's triathlon world getting older and dying, few old people hanging on though.  If the spiritual home of triathlon is dying, the sports is farked.

(editted to say, sure its true but the second part is a piss take, just in case someone thought I was being serious)

Edited by Oompa Loompa

Oompa Loompa    664
3 hours ago, Paul Every said:

If you dont wear a smart watch, it is handy so you know when to have a walk.......lol

• Like 1

IronmanFoz    664
3 hours ago, Dave T said:

C'mon mate. I can barely run "Aid Station" to "Aid Station" as it is......and now you want them to be 5 km apart.

Geez, I'd have to do some training to meet those standards. :wheelchair:

Dave.... The further apart the aid stations the faster you and I will be...... At the moment we run 2k....get to an aid station and have a walk and repeat....... Essentially everyone does this 20 times.....

if it were 5km apart you would only stop for the aid stations 7 times.... More running.

Well....that's the theory! Though it's a far stretched theory.

• Like 2

Ironnerd    338
7 hours ago, Paul Every said:

If the aid stations were more than 2km apart I would run with a water bottle, like I do in training.

The advantage of the IMWA run course is that you only need two double sided aid stations to have one every ~2km, as it is a 5km out and back loop.

• Like 1

Pineapple    34

Been sitting on the sidelines reading comments and as someone who hasn't raced IM since 2001 I can see reasons for it's lack of interest, biggest is cost , family with a mortgage, hubby says to his wife , oh I'm going to do an Ironman entry is $800 plus, wife WTF, secondly IM was the biggest show and there was one , now multi choices thru the year and now to not have the functions??? Which were part of the atmosphere that you waited all year for, injury prevents me from returning but from comments from friends would not bother.

As for the sports health overall I see numbers being pretty similar with big numbers of young (12 plus) competitors so it's not as if the pool has shrunk, focus has changed

My two bobs worth from someone who has seen the sports growth from the begining

• Like 1

FFF1077    146
On 2017-5-18 at 8:42 PM, IronmanFoz said:

What are the distance between aid stations. Ironman is 20 on bike approx and every 2k on run.

they should stretch them out on the bike...say every 30k and maybe every3 on the run....and reduce the amount of stuff on them.

you always read he crazy stats...i.e. 2 tones of bananas...but how much goes to waste after an event. Plenty of room for cost saves .....

How about totally self sufficient for nutrition. Race directors to only supply water and toilets and first aid...? 

FFF1077    146

But if I panic and sell my kidney to pay for entry and accommodation now to show my "support" for the event.... When it gets cancelled and I get an automatic transfer to another Ironman...... Can they put another one on in WA to save me a bit of a drive to Port or Cairns?..... LOL 

Hope this is a bullshit thread. But it makes sense. #hopenot 

Oh well. 

Nath.    297
14 hours ago, Pineapple said:

biggest is cost , family with a mortgage, hubby says to his wife , oh I'm going to do an Ironman entry is $800 plus, wife WTF

To true.

Put travel & accom over to WA as well and there's the same as taking the family for an O/S holiday when it's not all about the one racing.

garf    20
15 hours ago, Pineapple said:

Been sitting on the sidelines reading comments and as someone who hasn't raced IM since 2001 I can see reasons for it's lack of interest, biggest is cost , family with a mortgage, hubby says to his wife , oh I'm going to do an Ironman entry is $800 plus, wife WTF, secondly IM was the biggest show and there was one , now multi choices thru the year and now to not have the functions??? Which were part of the atmosphere that you waited all year for, injury prevents me from returning but from comments from friends would not bother.

As for the sports health overall I see numbers being pretty similar with big numbers of young (12 plus) competitors so it's not as if the pool has shrunk, focus has changed

My two bobs worth from someone who has seen the sports growth from the begining

This...I suppose I come from the perspective of someone whose partner (now ex- :-)  ) was not interested in the tri scene, so a few WTFs...

The cost aspect was (still is ) a big barrier when combined with the price hikes for accommodation/ travel. But at least it had an atmosphere of build up/ excitement with the events. 

I can see why other endurance events have been increasing more rapidly given the relative entry $ per hour of event. Combined with the associated costs it adds up.

For someone relatively new to the sport though, it is what it is.

Bored@work    1,496
1 hour ago, Nath. said:

To true.

Put travel & accom over to WA as well and there's the same as taking the family for an O/S holiday when it's not all about the one racing.

I can race overseas cheaper than Busso.  

Peter    1,612
16 hours ago, Pineapple said:

biggest is cost , family with a mortgage, hubby says to his wife , oh I'm going to do an Ironman entry is $800 plus, wife WTF, 

1 hour ago, Nath. said:

To true.

This is why it's a shame that IMMELBOURNE went.

You'd have 1200 people that could sleep in their own beds and no flights or car hire etc...

So stumping up $1K was easier to justify

• Like 1

Bored@work    1,496
3 minutes ago, Peter said:

This is why it's a shame that IMMELBOURNE went.

You'd have 1200 people that could sleep in their own beds and no flights or car hire etc...

So stumping up $1K was easier to justify

Agree esp for people from NSW & SA.  It was a easy drive across for Melb.  Unfortunately like Busso the bike course was as boring as bat shit. At least Melbourne had the tunnel but some people even struggled with that.  

zed    771

Depends where you stay in Busso, some people opt for a large double-story that is 20m from the beach and even closer to transition then complain that they're paying $1k a night... I've camped in caravan parks for $30/night, but have now upgraded to budget motels for $80/night which still have their own showers, air con, tv etc. 

• Like 1

Bored@work    1,496
53 minutes ago, zed said:

Depends where you stay in Busso, some people opt for a large double-story that is 20m from the beach and even closer to transition then complain that they're paying $1k a night... I've camped in caravan parks for $30/night, but have now upgraded to budget motels for $80/night which still have their own showers, air con, tv etc. 

Camping is not an option esp when flying over.  I never complained.  Just stated I can travel overseas with the same or better accomodation cheaper. 

I do think Busselton Accomodation is a rip off esp with the min nights booking policy but I have already had that argument.  

Oompa Loompa    664
1 hour ago, Bored@work said:

and for those that dont understand points.......  take qantas,for example,   if you do your credit card, woolworths linked back etc...pick up the $999return fares to the usa that qantas flog every three months in non peak, that are often $100 extra to any city in the usa......   you can even set a price alert so they email you to tell you the sale is on.

if you drop 110 000 points which is the points of a classic reward return to the usa its about $550 return.

if you pick up a sale fare like above, and drop 110000 points but use points plus pay (open to anyone on every flight), you can get return to the USA for about $350 anywhere in the usa.  points plus pay also earns you points for next time - classic rewards do not.

110000 points........ can get 160 000 almost overnight on occasion for next to nothing......Anz credit card does 80k for signing up, with no fees for 12 months so you just cancel the card if you dont think its worthwhile - or at least they did, amex is regularly similar and you just trigger the point drop through normal spend like food, new bike - lol.   Qantas has their own credit card coming out in the next month, dont have the details but suspect they will out do the banks.....

just some food for thought if doing the same ironman over n over bores you sh!tless and you want a cheaper way of seeing the world

Edited by Oompa Loompa
  • Like 1

Nath.    297
2 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Yes but as Garf says, some people's partners don't necessarily like going away, using cash & holidays for races. Which is more what I'm saying.

some partners like it and some don't. When they don't and you look at the costs it is hard.

Edited by Nath.

Bored@work    1,496
1 minute ago, Nath. said:

Yes but as Garf says, some people's partners don't necessarily like going away, using cash & holidays for races. Which is more what I'm post bring to.

some partners like it and some don't. When they don't and you look at the costs it is hard.

I agree.  I was highlighting the cost of racing in Busselton v Overseas so assuming you are going to race anyway. 

My wife like the balance of both, race the first week, then chill out & explore afterwards.  She also like volunteering at the races.  I was reading the other thread about Busselton struggling for volunteers & was wondering how many ppl racing have friends & family help out and volunteer on race day. 

10 minutes ago, Oompa Loompa said:

and for those that dont understand points.......  take qantas,for example,   if you do your credit card, woolworths linked back etc...pick up the $999return fares to the usa that qantas flog every three months in non peak, that are often $100 extra to any city in the usa......   you can even set a price alert so they email you to tell you the sale is on.

if you drop 110 000 points which is the points of a classic reward return to the usa its about $550 return.

if you pick up a sale fare like above, and drop 110000 points but use points plus pay (open to anyone on every flight), you can get return to the USA for about $350 anywhere in the usa.

110000 points........ can get 160 000 almost overnight on occasion for next to nothing......Anz credit card does 80k for signing up, with no fees for 12 months so you just cancel the card if you dont think its worthwhile - or at least they did, amex is regularly similar and you just trigger the point drop through normal spend like food, new bike - lol.   Qantas has their own credit card coming out in the next month, dont have the details but suspect they will out do the banks.....

just some food for thought if doing the same ironman over n over bores you sh!tless and you want a cheaper way of seeing the world

This is exactly what we do. 

Peter    1,612
1 hour ago, Nath. said:

Yes but as Garf says, some people's partners don't necessarily like going away, using cash & holidays for races. Which is more what I'm saying.

Some people need to either find new partners or a new sport. 

Rocket Salad    1,068
3 minutes ago, Peter said:

Some people need to either find new partners or a new sport. 

Could this be linked to the pay it forward thread?