Peter

So I'm hearing Busso Ironman is the last one

Blacky    54

I would expect the money has been coming from eventscorp which funds numerous triathlon and mtb events amongst other things. They may be intending to chuck some money into getting events at the new stadium which opens next year. If the new stadium is not a success the politians will look stupid given the cost has been controversial and well over budget, like many other projects. Which would be bad luck for the ironman. They would also be putting some serious money into cape to cape so ironman could be stung twice on that one. 

Stikman    1,303
1 hour ago, zed said:

Why do you say that? I've only been in the sport 4 years, but it seems to be growing if anything. Tons more races around in WA. And races like Busso 70.3 and the Telstra sprint series are thriving.

Three years ago you if you weren't registered within an hour of opening you couldn't get in to Busso Half or any Ironman in Australia.  The 70.3 here wasn't at capacity (and teams were half of what was expected) and you can now enter Ironman pretty much the day before.  But like I said, it's a slow death through lack of renewal as the older folk leave.

Just now, Blacky said:

If the new stadium is not a success the politians will look stupid given the cost has been controversial and well over budget, like many other projects.

I'm sure that the new government would love the political implications of one of Colin's pet projects performing poorly.  Not so poorly as to make the budget situation worse but bad enough to stick in a few knives.

IronmanFoz    664
1 hour ago, ironpo said:

It cost more than $1mil for road closures at IM Frankston so this would probably right

esually as the last year the numbers had dropped considerably from the first year but the costs keep going up

Remember that with the Melbourne Ironman they had to close down a major freeway for the day - This is expensive and therefore this race was never going to be a long term option. Logistically this race was also bad and expensive and essentially had a death sentence from day 1.

I do not see this to be the case with other locations ie: Busso, Cairns, Port.

They can put an Ironman on anywhere....All it requires is a good swim a road and a place with lots of accommodation. Finding a place with lots of accommodation is the hard part.

• Like 1

Peter    1,611
2 hours ago, ironpo said:

It cost more than $1mil for road closures at IM Frankston so this would probably right

esually as the last year the numbers had dropped considerably from the first year but the costs keep going up

Actually the link highway used was free for ironman melbourne. They were a major sponsor if you look at the official kit for melbourne. 

They did sponsorship in the form of a free road for the day. 

Peter    1,611
7 hours ago, ironjen said:

If it's true, they haven't told the IMWA team.

Response to query - Thank you for your message and that rumor is most definitely not true. IMWA is a prestigious event to the IRONMAN brand and with the inclusion of the 70.3 last year we can see this event to continuing to grow. Please feel free to share with fellow athletes this rumor is not true and we look forward to seeing you at all IMWA for the foreseeable future. 

I said if they can't get money from somewhere other than the government it's dead. 

Not that it is dead now. 

We most likely won't officially find out either way until may next year. 

trilobite    93
33 minutes ago, Peter said:

Actually the link highway used was free for ironman melbourne. They were a major sponsor if you look at the official kit for melbourne. 

The real "cost" of road infrastructure is a vexed topic - eg see the discussion around moving to a more user pays system for roads in the Henry Review Report. So whatever local or state government says the "cost" to them (ie as representatives of the public) associated with closing a road for an event is likely highly arbitrary.

Bored@work    1,495
4 hours ago, Stikman said:

The state government does contribute a bit but the local council would throw in more by my reckoning but if it's the little bit that tips it over the line then whatever it is is enough to make it unviable if it goes.

Less then $187,400 from the state government?  If that's the case the lack of funding will make bugger all difference.  

ironpo    2,836
1 hour ago, Peter said:

Correct but the over $1 mil came from all the traffic control needed on east link and the huge amount of people needed to keep traffic off the run leg

ironpo    2,836
2 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Remember that with the Melbourne Ironman they had to close down a major freeway for the day - This is expensive and therefore this race was never going to be a long term option. Logistically this race was also bad and expensive and essentially had a death sentence from day 1.

I do not see this to be the case with other locations ie: Busso, Cairns, Port.

There has never been a more correct most than this one on Trannies 

ironpo    2,836
2 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

They can put an Ironman on anywhere....All it requires is a good swim a road and a place with lots of accommodation. Finding a place with lots of accommodation is the hard part.

True but the biggest thing nowadays is getting community support for the event

locals just hate missing out on there Sunday drive to get the paper because the roads are closed for a few hrs and Los most hate bike riders 

also getting the vollies is becoming very difficult as wtc are not handing over the donations to the clubs that provide the vollies as they had promised so they are having real trouble getting enough support

the biggest thing is getting a solid local organising committee, which needs to be large and again these days people are not prepared to give back to the community as they once where

• Like 2

Bored@work    1,495
11 minutes ago, ironpo said:

also getting the vollies is becoming very difficult as wtc are not handing over the donations to the clubs that provide the vollies as they had promised so they are having real trouble getting enough support

the biggest thing is getting a solid local organising committee, which needs to be large and again these days people are not prepared to give back to the community as they once where

Not only in Australia.  Races in the US are also struggling to get the number of vollies required. The run course at Ironman Vineman was changed to a 3 loop run course because of a lack of vollies.  I think this was one of the reasons they moved the race to Santa Rosa.

Having said that I think the races in the US have too many vollies anyway. 

Ironnerd    338

At Busso 70.3 they had to reduce the number of aid stations due to a lack of volunteers.

At both Busso 70.3 and Ironman WA Sunsmart is the title sponsor. With the state government cutting costs this type of sponsorship is likely to be reduced.

IronmanFoz    664

What are the distance between aid stations. Ironman is 20 on bike approx and every 2k on run.

they should stretch them out on the bike...say every 30k and maybe every3 on the run....and reduce the amount of stuff on them.

you always read he crazy stats...i.e. 2 tones of bananas...but how much goes to waste after an event. Plenty of room for cost saves .....

Ironnerd    338

For Busso 70.3 they only had one aid station in a 45km bike loop and 2 double sided aid stations on a 7km run loop. Which was enough for a cool 70.3.

For IMWA they could stretch out the bike aid stations. However on the hot run you really need an aid station every 2km. They do not need vollies handing out drinks. You could grab cups off the table and greatly reduce the number of vollies required.

Flanman    1,112

On another note, Busso half is on the same day as Port full/half in 2018 again. 

FM

zed    769
17 hours ago, Stikman said:

Three years ago you if you weren't registered within an hour of opening you couldn't get in to Busso Half or any Ironman in Australia.  The 70.3 here wasn't at capacity (and teams were half of what was expected) and you can now enter Ironman pretty much the day before.  But like I said, it's a slow death through lack of renewal as the older folk leave.

This is true and is often cited as an example of how the sport is in decline, but I still don't agree. As I said, there are tons more races now in WA, a few years ago there was only one half, now we have four, Albany, Rotto, Busso 70.3 x 2. We've got heaps more OD races and sprints, juniors and enticers numbers are on the increase and times are just getting quicker. It is a sport that is constantly changing, a lot of people leave the sport after only 1 - 2 seasons. The more serious ones get to 4 or 5 and leave, so there is a high rate of attrition, it's not like footy or rugby where you play through high school, then play until your mid - late 30s. But there is a constant influx of new people, so overall numbers are not dwindling. I've also noticed that quite a few friends and clubmates that are still really into the sport are moving away from long course and just concentrating on sprints and ODs, so I think it's a bit deceiving just looking at long course stats as an overall indicator of the sports health. 

• Like 3

IronmanFoz    664
57 minutes ago, zed said:

This is true and is often cited as an example of how the sport is in decline, but I still don't agree. As I said, there are tons more races now in WA, a few years ago there was only one half, now we have four, Albany, Rotto, Busso 70.3 x 2. We've got heaps more OD races and sprints, juniors and enticers numbers are on the increase and times are just getting quicker. It is a sport that is constantly changing, a lot of people leave the sport after only 1 - 2 seasons. The more serious ones get to 4 or 5 and leave, so there is a high rate of attrition, it's not like footy or rugby where you play through high school, then play until your mid - late 30s. But there is a constant influx of new people, so overall numbers are not dwindling. I've also noticed that quite a few friends and clubmates that are still really into the sport are moving away from long course and just concentrating on sprints and ODs, so I think it's a bit deceiving just looking at long course stats as an overall indicator of the sports health. 

Those few years where races sold out quick were about 2010/11 port. Cairns and Melbourne did not exist.....and a lot of it was just frenzied banter which everyone fell for. I didn't bite.....but was still able to enter 6 months later. If something is sold out ...you can generally still enter from my experience.

Maybe all the talk about Busso being the last one is just fabulous marketing :) I bet it now sells out. I will make my decision on entering in August/September......even if it does sell out.

zed    769

I can't really see that numbers have dropped though, if anything they've increased, unless I'm missing something?

IMWA - finishers:

2007 - 900

2010 - 1167

2015 - 1107

2016 - 1318

And in 2016 the new Busso 70.3 was added, with a further 600 competitors taking the total number of competitors to over 2000. 

Edited by zed

IronmanFoz    664

Not sure about finishers but entrants before race day were:

2012 -1510

2013 - 1572

2014 - 1699

2015 - 1203

2016 - 1382

2017 -  Last one apparently ;) so they will probably get about 15000 people rushing in to compete. great Marketing.

Or maybe transitions are doing there Marketing for them :). Roxii..hope your getting some sort of kick back!

Bored@work    1,495
1 hour ago, IronmanFoz said:

. If something is sold out ...you can generally still enter from my experience.

Maybe all the talk about Busso being the last one is just fabulous marketing :) I bet it now sells out. I will make my decision on entering in August/September......even if it does sell out.

No race ever sells out.  You can always get a spot (including Kona) it just depends on how much you're prepared to pay.  I entered Arizona 7 weeks before the race. People race, go back to the hotel shower & then go line up to enter the next years race.  I spoke with several people who had flown in just to volunteer so they could get priority registration for the next years race.

Andrew #1    838

With Watt bike technology like Kickr improving substantially, why do you need a road to run an ironman? The bike leg could be held in transition ... just have a mega big screen with motivational videos and music, several hundr d industrial fans & a virtual leaderboard display and presto! Instant ironman!

#ironmanzwift!

Edited by Andrew #1
  • Like 1

Bored@work    1,495
1 hour ago, Andrew #1 said:

With Watt bike technology like Kickr improving substantially, why do you need a road to run an ironman? The bike leg could be held in transition ... just have a mega big screen with motivational videos and music, several hundr d industrial fans & a virtual leaderboard display and presto! Instant ironman!

#ironmanzwift!

How would you draft?

• Like 2

Andrew #1    838
46 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

How would you draft?

I'm sure there would be a cottage industry in ways to rig the watt output on your trainer ... 

#virtualdrafting #virtualEPO

Paul Every    422
17 hours ago, Ironnerd said:

. However on the hot run you really need an aid station every 2km. They do not need vollies handing out drinks. You could grab cups off the table and greatly reduce the number of vollies required.

Do we really need aid stations every 2km?

I think IM is the only event where I've encountered it, regardless of the temperature.

• Like 1