KieranR

Running socks

What running socks do you wear?  I've always used lightfeet ankle socks since i began running, they do a job but im not sure if i can continue justifying the cost  of them, I've also had a few quality issues with a couple of the pairs I've had

So what do you use, I'd like to try some that are slightly longer than the standard ankle sock.

While im asking questions - bar tape for my aero bars, I have a fluro yellow tape that the bike shop used when i bought the bike but im now in need of replacing it (they cant recall the brand they used), so im also after some recommendations for this.

Cheers

Whatever kmart is selling cheap.  Last ones were B*nds......

• Like 1

Socks: I trained in and ran the Port IM in a pair of socks from Steigen I was very happy with them . www.steigen.com.au 

Bar tape: Supacaz, Lizardskin or Fizik Microtex get the nod and all do a fluro yellow tape (I think) 

• Like 1

I have a range of cheapo, lightweight ankle socks from reebok, adidas, nike.  I did spend $30 on some proper running socks, which turned out to be a nightmare, really uncomfortable and my feet melted. I don't really get blisters and run sans socks up to OD, was tempted to skip them for Busso, but too big a risk.

I've used Nike Elite Cushion socks with no problems. But I guess socks are a personal preference.

In regards to tape. I've used Lizard Skins 2.8mm with no problems for the past 2 years. 

Stance socks, used by NBA/basketball players.  Comfortable, have some ankle support and can take a bashing!

Best socks i have used on long runs hands down

Less than 10km, any socks. >10km I wear 1000 mile socks, you can buy them on sites like Wiggle. They have a double layer and stop the blisters that I used to get.

http://1000mile.co.uk/

Just the standard Asics ped pace socks that you can get at rebel etc for '4 for $20'. Never had a problem over any distance. There's an 'above ankle' version as well. I race without socks up to OD. 

Socks - I just use whatever socks are in kmart. 

Aero bar tape - I now use aero bar grips, Profile Design I think.

1 hour ago, Pencil_Towel said:

Stance socks, used by NBA/basketball players.  Comfortable, have some ankle support and can take a bashing!

Best socks i have used on long runs hands down

+1 these socks are awesome & I only wear their business/casual socks. $25 but they seem to last for awhile & are comfy. I haven't tried the sports range yet.  

I normally buy what ever socks match my shoes.  Currently racing in bright yellow on cloud shoes so grabbed a pair of Wattink flour socks.  The family love them on race day.  It's super easy for them to pick me coming. 

I got a pair of running science socks with the last pair of Hoka I purchased from Hiltz & they are really good.  Perhaps give him a buzz & work out a shoe sock combo.

1 hour ago, Ironnerd said:

Less than 10km, any socks. >10km I wear 1000 mile socks, you can buy them on sites like Wiggle. They have a double layer and stop the blisters that I used to get.

http://1000mile.co.uk/

I've had these they were great but eventually wore out (after years).  I was given a pack of More Mile socks for my birthday, they seem pretty good so far. My own money would be spent on 1000 Mile again.

Socks - Fusion, Stance, CEP & Compressport

Bar tape - Supacaz & Lizard Skins

4 hours ago, trickle said:

Socks: I trained in and ran the Port IM in a pair of socks from Steigen I was very happy with them . www.steigen.com.au 

Plus 1 for the steigen socks.

Use to run in whatever socks I had. Normally bonds but got bad blisters after my last oly. Had a pair of steigen thrown in with my last pair of runners how wear them for anything over 10km

Funny we should mention this... I've been wearing a lot of different socks of late. I'm having a lot of pairs made and wanted to work out what things I liked and what I didn’t. I have about 3-4 more to try then what is listed below. 

What I've been wearing for a long time - Injinji, Nike elite, Hilly Mono Skin, and X-Bionic.

What I've had recently - Steigen, Features, Stance, Lightfeet, 1000 mile, CEP, Beluga. That's all from memory. I'll breifly explain my experience with each.

Injinji - Annoying to put on in a hurry, but great socks a favourite of mine. I use both the lightweight and trail versions. Why? Anything 60mins and I'm prone to blisters between the toes. These stop that 100%. I rate them. Reasonably priced I think.

Nike elite - Not great, not bad, but I picked a heap of them up for $10/3 pack when I was in the states a few years back. Cheap basic socks, but not on the favourites list.

Hilly Mono Skin Lite - A favourite of mine for a long time, normally I wear them with racing flats and spikes. They also do twin skin which I hate, I hope all twin skin socks die  :P  Jokes, I know they work for some. Reasonably priced but extremely hard to get in OZ but hopefully no more ;) I'm working on it.

X - Bionic - Got given a heap of them when I worked for sweatshop in the UK. Got along well with the rep. Again hated the twin skin version but loved the mono skin. Good quality socks, however got a bit "stiff" towards the end of their life. Can’t buy them in OZ anymore I don’t think (and they were bloody expensive)

Steigen - I think they're nice, very nice. BUT. No good if you're over a size 10US. As soon as you wash ‘em a few times they're too small and tight for your feet. My wife loves them, a few people I coach also love them. I like them so much I sell them. I just hope they sort out a Sm, Med and Lrg sizing structure soon. I do not believe in a one size fits all when it comes to socks. A lot of Podiatrists would agree... Reasonably priced good socks but massive achillies heel (see what I did there) when it comes to sizes. It also annoys me that they’re not marked L and R (but that’s just an OCD thing :lol: )

Features - Best selling sock for running in the US by far. I think it was said something like 30% of the market. I have a few pairs. They're well priced, good socks. I neither think of them of my favourites or in the "I will wear them around just cause I bought ‘em pile". I like them, I just don’t love them as much as some others. But a lot do love them.

Stance - I do love their socks, although they're on the pricey side. I stumbled across them in the US accidently through a guy I met running around Crissy Field in San Fran. Funky colours, good fun and great socks - but some of their marketing crap gets me. I'd buy them again, they’re now on the favourites.

Lightfeet - Um, not for me. I wouldn't recommend them either. 

1000 mile - I think the first pair of these were a freeby with a wiggle order. I recently grabbed another pair. They’re good socks, but I dont think they're quite up with the textiles/materials of some of the others listed here. If they work for you I wouldn't try and steer you away from them, however there is better socks out there IMO.

CEP - Personally not a big fan, they well made and what not but there is just something about them I don't like. They're also on the more expensive side so maybe I expected more for my money? In fact that is probably it. Again not bad socks, just not one of my favourites.

Beluga - I've only done a limited amount of running in them (twice), had them given to me by a rep with a pair of Brooks new Caldera trail shoes (which as a side note I like). Initially I like the socks, I'm not in love with them. Yet. I will try them soon with a pair of shoes I love (Adidas Bostons) and see how they go. But they're nice materials and well made. 

Apologies for the extremely long post! It's Roxii's fault, he reminded me I hadn't been around much lately :blush:

• Like 1

Bulk packs from Aldi - good for running, everyday use and mowing. If they get a bid run down....bin and whammy a new pair miraculously appears.

for ironman always get a new pair of decent socks Nike etc.

Haha thanks mate. 

I also find different socks work better with different shoes depending on the way they fit. 

I finf that a sock that gives my foot a nice firm fit in the shoe will give me less issues regardless of the "tech" of the sock . 

Hilly twin skins & Wright socks also a dual layer. I blister easily but not with either of these.

1 hour ago, willie said:

Hilly Mono Skin Lite - A favourite of mine for a long time, normally I wear them with racing flats and spikes. They also do twin skin which I hate, I hope all twin skin socks die  :P  Jokes, I know they work for some. Reasonably priced but extremely hard to get in OZ but hopefully no more ;) I'm working on it.

I have a running mate over here and he swears by the Hilly socks, I'd never heard of them. Good but expensive was his take on them.

Thorlo. I've been using them for years. They never fall down even when really old, they barely wear out, dont give hot spots, blisters or black toes, you can also get light weight ones that are padded up under the forefoot and heel and the rest is super light. Athletes foot, Rebel etc and they are on the expensive side of things.

7 hours ago, trickle said:

Been in Steigen since they started up about 10 years ago. Fantastic thin socks and last forever. Wouldn't wear anything else and they're constantly expanding their colour range and have come up with some fun looking designs.

Started by Geelong Commonwealth Games distance runner Louis Rowan.

Willie - The Imelda Marcos of the sock world :lol:

Great insight though mate, might give a few of them a try. 

I've been a cheap sock guy for, well for ever.  Anything over 21kms and I usually have a spare pair in the back pocket and do a swap - never had any blisters or problems with that strategy rights through to 100kms.  Love the feeling of fresh socks mid run

15 minutes ago, Slunnie said:

Thorlo. I've been using them for years. They never fall down even when really old, they barely wear out, dont give hot spots, blisters or black toes, you can also get light weight ones that are padded up under the forefoot and heel and the rest is super light. Athletes foot, Rebel etc and they are on the expensive side of things.

They were the brand I had in Oz but had trouble finding them in the UK  (must admit, not looked for them for a while though).

2 hours ago, willie said:

Steigen - I think they're nice, very nice. BUT. No good if you're over a size 10US. As soon as you wash ‘em a few times they're too small and tight for your feet. My wife loves them, a few people I coach also love them. I like them so much I sell them. I just hope they sort out a Sm, Med and Lrg sizing structure soon. I do not believe in a one size fits all when it comes to socks. A lot of Podiatrists would agree... Reasonably priced good socks but massive achillies heel (see what I did there) when it comes to sizes. It also annoys me that they’re not marked L and R (but that’s just an OCD thing :lol: )

I've never had  the shrinking problem you describe with Steigen. I do all my washing in cold water.

Edited by The Customer