Diamonds

The 10,000 step farce

Is the whole thing a gee up?

As a backstory, I got a (Rebel member) half price Garmin 630 a few months ago.  The perfect balance between "Fu6k look at me I'm an athlete" and a normal watch.

Battery life is good and it does GPS when I want.  Anyways, it does the step count thing.

So how to people not do 10,000?  So far today I have walked into the pool and out (swam sans watch), done a few office laps, walked to and from Woolies a few blocks to stock work drawer.  I parked about 500m from work initially and since been to retrieve car.  Essentially done SFA and sitting on 8858.  Feeling lazy coz I'd normally go for a lunch trot but watched TV instead.

It can't be that hard.  If I do a bit (and I am a 7-8hr a week trainer these days) I usually do 25000-28000.  

Anyone else tracking steps? I am not, but it just intrigues me now.

Edited by Diamonds

I've been fairly sedentary the last 3 months with the no exercise orders from the quacks, still wear a vivofit and have noticed I've been doing only around 5 - 6 thousand a day, a few days as low as 3,000.  I have been driving to work, park around 50 metres from my desk and the most walking I do during the day was going to the toilet down the other end of the building (I have filing 3 metres from my desk and a personal printer 2 metres so office is not designed to move much at all).  I think the most I got in that time was 8,000 odd steps

When training though, 15,000 on light training was my average, usually nudged it over the 20,000 mark when right into it.  Had a few days where 60,000 and 80,000 even popped up, but they were heavy run days, going to be a few months before I see those figures again

• Like 1

Im at 4761 for the day. And i aint doing much more tonite!

18 holes of golf was coming in at 7k or so, but I reckoned it wasn't counting when my arm was anchored on the buggy handle.  A few weeks of carrying my clubs instead showed it to be 14.5k carpark to carpark.  

10kms of running is just over 9000 steps for me.  Probably 3000 for a Kenyan. 

46 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

18 holes of golf was coming in at 7k or so

Did it count your shots? :)

I can do 10000 walking to train. Around the office. And walking from train home. 

So I agree. How people don't hit 10000 most days is beyond me. 

Until I spoke to a manager at work that drives and parks under work. Sits in meetings all day and then drives home. Said he struggles to hit 3000-4000 usually. 

Yes he is a fat fark. 

So doing 10000 steps is worth doing 

My mrs works as an office receptionist.  Whole day at the desk answering phones.  If she does not do any deliberate activity then 5000 is sort of standard on a work day.

I am in an office too, but also sometimes walk the workshop floor, low day is around 8000.

I really think that people who are always active (either through incidental movement, or deliberate exercise) don't actually realise how sedentary some people are.

8 hours ago, Toolish said:

I really think that people who are always active (either through incidental movement, or deliberate exercise) don't actually realise how sedentary some people are.

I think that is it.  

On 5/15/2017 at 7:13 PM, Diamonds said:

10kms of running is just over 9000 steps for me.  Probably 3000 for a Kenyan. 

Mine hits 10,000 arund 6km in a run.

Lately though, my steps have been low as my injuries (and sling for 2 weeks, which was my Garmin arm!) keep me from doing anything that brings on any sort of jiggling. 

1 hour ago, Turts said:

Lately though, my steps have been low as my injuries (and sling for 2 weeks, which was my Garmin arm!) keep me from doing anything that brings on any sort of jiggling. 

Hows the recovery Turts?

ive been trying to do the 10 for a bit now, get it most days though work can get in the way. 

If i just go to the office....house to car, car park to office, office to carpark, car to house, less than 3000 steps. If I remember to eat during the day, might get near 4000. 

The other problem is when I get home early and have an hour of light, if I mountain bike, which I'm enjoying, I dont get the steps.......

13 hours ago, Turts said:

You must take really short steps. 

10k run for my 10000 steps. Give or take 1000. 

11 hours ago, surfer101 said:

Hows the recovery Turts?

Getting there. Still limited to stationary bike (upright or recumbent) and cross trainer. Mostly just the neck muscle whiplash and ribs still troubling me.

But at least i can get a bit of a sweat up pushing big gears!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Peter said:

You must take really short steps. 

10k run for my 10000 steps. Give or take 1000. 

Yep i do. Im short with extra short legs. But also been working on keeping my stride short with a faster turnover as i get injured less. Im still slow tho. 

Eta: That also includes morning activities before running, so could be a bit out actually. Will look next time

Edited by Turts

For me, when running fast, it's around a 93/min, which I assume you take as 186 steps. If I do just over 4min per km, then that will be between 7000 & 8000 per 10km.

On 2017-5-15 at 2:55 PM, Diamonds said:

Is the whole thing a gee up?

As a backstory, I got a (Rebel member) half price Garmin 630 a few months ago.  The perfect balance between "Fu6k look at me I'm an athlete" and a normal watch.

Battery life is good and it does GPS when I want.  Anyways, it does the step count thing.

So how to people not do 10,000?  So far today I have walked into the pool and out (swam sans watch), done a few office laps, walked to and from Woolies a few blocks to stock work drawer.  I parked about 500m from work initially and since been to retrieve car.  Essentially done SFA and sitting on 8858.  Feeling lazy coz I'd normally go for a lunch trot but watched TV instead.

It can't be that hard.  If I do a bit (and I am a 7-8hr a week trainer these days) I usually do 25000-28000.  

Anyone else tracking steps? I am not, but it just intrigues me now.

I work in an office and would be lucky to do 3000 steps between 9 and 5 not including the training I do at lunch. 

I went to Costco today for the first time to have a good look through it. I'm certain I did my 10000 steps just in the time I was there.

27 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I went to Costco today for the first time to have a good look through it. I'm certain I did my 10000 steps just in the time I was there.

Come on. What did you buy. 

48 muffins

or 

400 rolls of loo paper

or

300 Bic razors 

Nuthin today. Just checking it out on our way back from a morning up the coast. The food was impressive though. Everyone raves about the cheap toilet paper, but honestly, the same brands work out cheaper per roll if you just buy them elsewhere when they are on special.

I thought this was interesting though. :)

DSC_1556.thumb.JPG.c0e045da2fa417aac7d2117dad3837c4.JPG

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

On 15 May 2017 at 8:00 PM, trinube said:

Did it count your shots? :)

Yep....he said 7000

On 2017-5-18 at 7:21 PM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

whats it like, whats in there, always wanted to go to one but havnt done it yet.

1 hour ago, Oompa Loompa said:

whats it like, whats in there, always wanted to go to one but havnt done it yet.

Heaps of groceries, in big sizes. Normal size tins etc usually come in packs of 3. Bakery in there cooking breads & cakes & the apple pies looked great. Most groceries are cheaper than other stores normal prices, but you can pick stuff up cheaper elsewhere if you hunt the specials.

Heaps of TVs, iPads, phones etc. Cheaper than normal, but likewise you can do better chasing specials. Jewelry didn't impress the wife. Basic clothes. Tracksuits in name brands were cheap. Pierre Cardin business shirts were $23. Only about 6 or 7 different colours/patterns though. Huge range of different things, but not a lot of range of each thing.

We'll probably join.

• Like 1