Bored@work

Marathons - any recommendations

Bored@work    1,496

I'm looking to run a marathon this winter.  My family isn't keen on another long haul flight this year.  So I'm thinking Aus, NZ or Asia.   Looking for something different any recommendations? 

Cottoneyes    798

Melbourne is Spring (if Mother Nature plays fair)

Traralgon is doing number 50 next month, otherwise Gold Coast is coming up soon

Or for something real different, come do a trail run - Grampians in August http://www.wonderlandrun.com.au/ .  Don't let a few little inclines put you off...

Bored@work    1,496
5 minutes ago, Peter said:

Melbourne.  I'll do it with you.

Already locked in for that one but only as a support person (it will be more walking than running) .  My mate has Parkinson's disease & needs support on the day.   He was a DNF last year.  He has new medication & wants to finish it.  

• Like 2

Bored@work    1,496
6 minutes ago, Peter said:

So you going to do it with him?  

Cool.

Yeah doing it with him,  he was shattered last year and not in a good way.  The doctors have doubled his medication & it seems to be working.   

• Like 2

AA7    1,001

Not until Nov I think, but Queenstown.

rory-dognz    244
21 minutes ago, AA7 said:

Not until Nov I think, but Queenstown.

was about to say this, most on a hard pack gravel bike trail. Very senic but weather can be crap.

Will get you family bonus points

Tall Paul    405

Sunshine Coast Marathon in August. Great time to visit - lots for the family to do too.

gregb    101

Alice Springs Marathon.

The one in Alice, run by Alice Springs running and walking club.

• Like 2

monkie    174

Sydney in September is fast and flat and the finish is pretty spectacular...Support around the course leaves a lot to be desired though!

• Like 1

trinube    1,108

We can find a bed for you if you wanna do Sydney.

• Like 1

Paul Every    422
On 12/05/2017 at 10:43 AM, Cottoneyes said:

Or for something real different, come do a trail run - Grampians in August http://www.wonderlandrun.com.au/ .  Don't let a few little inclines put you off...

Trail was my first thought when "looking for something different".

Glowworm Tunnel Trail Marathon is a cracker of an event, with the bonus of being a wonderful destination and event for families.

Beautifully scenic and challenging course in the Wollemi National Park, it has an epic first half, a river crossing, the eponymous tunnel, all backed with a cruisy,very runnable and gently downhill final 9km.

It's relatively isolated (no internet/mobile coverage) and you'll have to camp (the few cabins would have been booked out long ago), but that's what makes it so special.

With shorter events including half marathon, 6km and the vertical mile, a food tent, kids' activities including movies around the campfire, for adults there's a band pumping and dancing on the Saturday night. There's always things going on.

Or you can find some isolation and take in some of the trails when not racing. The walk up to the lookout on the Pipeline Track or exploring Mystery Mountain are jaw-dropping on a fine day.

Plenty of expansive grass in the campground for kids to amuse themselves with balls or bikes.

Yes, you can stay in a hotel/B&B in Lithgow, but it's the remoteness that makes Glowworm work so well. Everyone is genuinely focused on where they are and who they're with, the running and enjoying themselves. It's very much about being in the now, something we often lose in our society. Being cut off from the outside world for a few days, allows everyone to really be there, not continually looking towards the distractions of their lives beyond.

When was the last time you truly did that with the people you care about?

Edited by Paul Every
  • Like 1

RunBrettRun    1,363

I'm in queenstown at the moment.  Very keen to come back for the marathon in the next couple of years.