skel

1500m track advice......

Signed up to run the 5000m on the track the regional Masters in 3 weeks.  As a warm up, my coach suggested that I enter a 1500m track event this week.  I have never run a in a track event, other than training on my own.

Any hints or strategies, or advice on track etiquette.

Bit nervous as I think it is all the kids (the super fast teenagers) and us two adults.....at least the males run seperately.

My goal is 6 minutes, my coach thinks I will be around 6:15 to 6:30, and that it will be more of a mental than physical race.

• Like 3

Just think of it as 300 hard, then 3 x 400 hard on zero rest and you'll be sweet. :)

Get to the inside as soon as you can and stay there.

If there is a big variety of performance levels, you'll probably only get lapped once, twice at most.

Try to hit your splits and don't blow too early, but don't leave anything in the tank. 

Easy, right?

• Like 1

Wouldn't have a clue about track racing, but just wanted to say Go You!

I really admire people who are prepared to step outside their comfort zone (Big Smiley Face and a Thumbs Up!).

(If it were me I'd probably go out at your goal pace and just try to hang on - but like I said, I wouldn't have a clue).

• Like 2

Run to your strengths is my advice.  If you have a kick stick in the pack and go with 200 to go.  

If no kick you will have to go earlier or if you are strong and trust can hold a pace for the distance try and break them.

This all depends on the field.  It is hard to judge unless you know the other runners.

In regards to the actual track what others said.  Stick to the left, give way to your right ?

• Like 1

Ive done some local track racing, very low key stuff & agree that its the mental aspect - staying calm, focussed  & in my  case not crying for coming last lol

Go Skel or should I say "run like the wind Bullseye " ?

• Like 2

It's all about pacing. 

Have a garmin and run your race with the suggestion it gives. Aim for 6 flat. 

You run faster on tracks. 

first track race ever.... what a champ.

I love how people give professional level advice for first timers... have heard this when bike racing for my fist time... just stay with the pack, don't do to much work, but be seen on the front a bit, kick at the end.   I was lucky to stay with the pack for 75% of the race and got dropped when I couldn't get back on after one of dozens of u turn corners...

run as best that you can, it's only 6 minutes after all... lol  don't throw up on the track, on the infield is ok though...

looking forward to a report back, and by then, you'll no longer be a rookie track runner

Edited by AVAGO
  • Like 3

I agree with Avago. Just go out there & have fun. Run the best you can and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

He's right about throwing up too. First 1500m, or even the 5000m next, you're likely to put a huge effort in to the line and then lose it as soon as you pull up. It may only be half a mouthful, but be ready for it. :)

• Like 1

I agree with the above, don't vomit on the track. But in seriousness, wear a watch with your goal paces set to notify every 200 so you don't get swept up and go out way too hard, try and stick to your paces for the first couple of laps and if you have anything left give it all for the last lap. reasonable teenagers will be running in the low 4's so run your own race.

back in the day... lol, am laughing at myself... what do I know....

when we used to run track training and would be given runs at say, 4 min km pace, I'd set the countdown repeat timer on the Timex watch to 24 sec which was the time for 100 m to meet the 4 min km pace.. if I was a tad in front, then I'd try to just hold that. eg, 24 sec beeped at 5 metres past the 100m mark, then I'd hold that 5 m past the mark, until it started to slip back, to 4 m past, then 3 m past. ..

can also use 48 sec / 200 m etc

You have enough running experience to run on feel, you will trip yourself up if checking watch consistently:o. The only way i would use it is with Virtual partner and glace at the line in the middle of the straight. Carry it as the data afterwards could be interesting.

You know what the pace feels like, so just enjoy the pace and let the race unfold, as you have said it is not your A race. it the pace or body says to much just pull back

It is going to hurt more than an ultra during and after the race.:rolleyes:

• Like 1

Really different races a 5k and 1500m. 

1500m racing is about the hardest thing I've done. 

5k. Have fun pace yourself. Break the race down into chunks. 

1500m. As a distance runner, learning to race to exhaustion and In such a short time frame is challenging. This isn't an interval. It's lighting the fire and how long can you hold this for. And then what more have you got. And when. These are questions, you'll need to find the answers. 

Sorry for the late night ramble. Good luck. You'll love it. 

Normally there is a timekeeper singing out race splits at the finish line each lap. So at 300 metres, 700 metres, 1100 metres. The finish time might be sang out or just recorded.

So working out lap splits for 6:00 mins for 1500 metres which is 4 min per kilometre pace or 1:36 per full 400 metres of track.

300 metres 1:12

700 metres 2:48

1100 metres 4:24

1500 metres 6:00

adding or subtracting 4 seconds per lap gives a 15 second overall race adjustment.

I have done quite a few in my former life time as an athletics club member.

Don't get sucked in by running someone else's race.

Once you get the hang of these, you will find out what works for you better. Going out hard or even paced or sitting and kicking.

5000 / 10000 metres on the track is hard work 12 and half laps for the 5km and 25 laps for 10km. No place to hide.

Edited by thomo_is_great
Double up of wording 15 seconds
  • Like 2

Thanks everyone, all great bits of advice. Not racing until 7:30pm, so just going to take it easy this afternoon.   Thanks at Thommo, will definately keep those numbers in my head.  I know one of the teenagers will run mid 4 min, so definately focusing on my space on the track, even if I am alone.  I have a great coach who has given me so much confidence in my 'speed' work.....as a dual Olympian / Comm runner, I really look up to her and love that she gives so much to me and always answers my questions.

Funny, my last race was 64km in December.....never thought I'd give track a go (esp 1500m) but inside I am a little excited. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, skel said:

Thanks everyone, all great bits of advice. Not racing until 7:30pm, so just going to take it easy this afternoon.  

Is there a link to the on-line tracker so we can all follow?

Have fun out there. :)

• Like 1

DONT WEAR A WATCH!!!!

Its 1500m. If you get it a bit wrong so be it... don't let excitement take over and go the first 300 too hard. Then sit in for the next couple of laps pretty solid and then go for home over the last 400. Before you know it the 1500 will be over. Not too long after the lactic will go and you'll feel like you can do it again  

Youll be slower than those kids no doubt, so won't be a tactical race. So you're out there to set the best time possible. Don't let a watch hold you back...

• Like 2

Excellent. Knew you'd break 6 mins. 

Congratz

11 hours ago, skel said:

Second overall

Bit disappointed you didn't win. :D

Officially, 5:48:52  :D :D :D

Laps, best as I could get as Nejo was timing from the sidelines.

1.04  1:31:83   1:35.36   1:36.82

Nejo said I just took off from the start...another friend who was mc'ing the event said my technique was 'awful and weird' but he could see I was giving everything and was so proud.

Really, really, happy.  I think going I with the mindset that it is only 6 minute allowed me to just put it out there.   Using Thommo's guide times really helped me to know where I was each lap and helped me to stay in control.  Am kind of interested in doing more of these events in the future.  Main focus now is Masters 5km in three weeks, with a Parkrun trial next week.  PB is currently 21:56, feeling confident I can better it.  Not sure about breaking 20minues, but will give it my absolute.

Never been to an athletics carnival full stop.  Watching 3-4year old doing the 100m was so inspiring.  They are just so cute and just don't care about staying in their lanes. Even the young kids doing the 1500m was so encouraging before and during the race. Then seeing some older guys run high 13's in the 100. Really enjoyed it. Nice to see kids out there trying every event and not stuck on phones or iPads. 

• Like 3

I loved doing the occasional track meet. Even though I was kind of a good runner, it was different to get your arse handed to you by school kids.It put things back into perspective. I'd recommend any triathlete that wants to a/ improve their running, b/ have fun and c/ have even more fun, do the occasional track carnival, and also try some club cross country running.

Well done Skel.