Chuckie M

Bike shipping to Roth 2017

Hi, everyone heading to Roth. I am about to pull the trigger on  my plane ticket to get over there. I will start a official Roth 2017 thread shortly. Has anybody found a carrier from Aus for the event. I am trying to avoid playing the excess baggage game as per 2015. check that thread out. there was pye bikes in the past. they don't exist anymore?:wallbash:

Edited by Chuckie M

Hi,

We went to Roth last year and unfortunately there was not easy or cheap way to get your bike there or back. We flew Singapore airlines who allow 30kg and managed to get 2 bikes, everything we needed to race  and clothes for a 4 week holiday with a kg or 2 to spare. Our problem was we wanted to ship them back which we ended up doing but it cost around $2000 for 2 bikes. Could of almost paid for a friend to come and accompany them back. In hind sight we would have flown in and out of Munich and left them at the airport left luggage. Hope that helped. Enjoy Roth it is fab!

• Like 1

I'll take it for u if you pay for my airfare , accomadation and the $$$$ I have to pay my workers to do my work for me while I'm away

Not specifically Roth, but I've sent personal effects as Unaccompanied Baggage for good rates. Usually with the airline I've flown with. I have also used these guys if flying out of Sydney.

http://www.sydneyairport.com.au/find/service-categories/service-listing/service-detail.aspx?cat={93c4adb3-2b3d-44c4-8bc2-b38c6d2580d5}&ser={7F175BC4-0BEF-4894-8A0F-8E66C7DBD9B4}

The only disadvantage is that you need to go to Customs to pick the stuff up and clear it.

is anybody here using TRITRAVEL?. I think they may have a waiver for bikes through the airline?:huh:

Edited by Chuckie M

We used them last year and all they could do was get a 10% discount on World Baggage which is who we used. They may have got a better deal this year, not sure.  

Edited by Lesmack

We going with Tri Travel and they are having 10% discount again.

But after Roth we are leaving bike at Munich airport -- won't be as much as sending it back to Australia ?? 

• Like 1

Wouldn't it just be easier and probably cheaper to just pay the excess and take the bike with you on the plane

if traveling before and or after just find some storage as mention above

I might have solved the problem. I have been dealing with Flight centre. My fare was from Brisbane to Nuremberg with Singapore Airlines. for extra 150USD each way I will get a extra piece of luggage . My bike in case will weight about 20kg. my clothes for a month plus and tri gear will be about 15kg ( I see Europe as Melbourne weather) . I tend to take around 6kg of carry on.... This sport sucks sometimes of gear you need to get the job done well..:huh:

Edited by Chuckie M

Now don't get me started on the whole excess baggage issue....with bike, run and swim gear, plus clothes and other stuff and self weight, I'm lucky to reach 110kg but have to pay excess baggage.

Yet the plonker sitting next to me weighs in at 120kg without luggage and doesn't pay a cent!

• Like 3

Off topic --- but what cassette do people mostly use .

i had a 25 on yesterday for Port Mac 

Hi Youngy. There is only one semi steep longish hill that you have to do twice. The rest of the course is undulating no real flat parts. I am a almost 50 year old female and just used the current gearing on my bike and had no problems. (Not sure about what cassette it is but what ever it was when I bought it, its a P3). Just watch out on the hairpin descent, apparently there are always a couple of riders who end up in the hay bales!

• Like 1

Ok thanks 

how does the Roth course  compete to Port Mac -- in relation to the hills 

Edited by Youngy2
Spelling mistake

Ok thanks 

how does the Roth course compete to Port Mac -- in relation to the hills 

Hey Chuckie, I am in a similar position to you (having booked through a travel agent). How did you contact the airline to add the extra bag - just give them a call?

On 5 May 2017 at 0:23 PM, Chuckie M said:

I might have solved the problem. I have been dealing with Flight centre. My fare was from Brisbane to Nuremberg with Singapore Airlines. for extra 150USD each way I will get a extra piece of luggage . My bike in case will weight about 20kg. my clothes for a month plus and tri gear will be about 15kg ( I see Europe as Melbourne weather) . I tend to take around 6kg of carry on.... This sport sucks sometimes of gear you need to get the job done well..:huh:

Chuckie you might want to check this again. We too are flying Singapore and it's 30kg no matter how many pieces. The per piece rule is for flights to the US. I could be wrong but we have checked and double checked because we have the same problem. Hopefully Flight Centre have told you the right thing and all is ok. 

I didn't end up buying a ticket. I am withdrawing from this years event. I need to hit the reset button in my life...

On 2017-6-13 at 10:42 AM, Slowlane said:

Chuckie you might want to check this again. We too are flying Singapore and it's 30kg no matter how many pieces. The per piece rule is for flights to the US. I could be wrong but we have checked and double checked because we have the same problem. Hopefully Flight Centre have told you the right thing and all is ok. 

I flew Singapore Air for a race in Asia. Can confirm the bike was just treated as normal baggage under the allocated allowance

Let me know how you go with excess charges?, Tritravel couldn't help. I am not that keen on buying a plane ticket, then half a ticket again for my bike for OS races?. There is a market for main destination races in Europe for Aus for bike shipping. I know people are having issues with Rotterdam race...there are US services and UK..:wallbash:

On 6/15/2017 at 4:35 AM, Chuckie M said:

I didn't end up buying a ticket. I am withdrawing from this years event. I need to hit the reset button in my life...

Bummer,

I thought you should be over there by now posting like mad...

Postponed only hopefully.

• Like 1

On 05/05/2017 at 10:01 AM, Youngy2 said:

We going with Tri Travel and they are having 10% discount again.

But after Roth we are leaving bike at Munich airport -- won't be as much as sending it back to Australia ?? 

@Youngy2, did you end up leaving the bike at Munich airport? Can you provide any details?