Sign in to follow this  
Prince

Great Brisbane Bike Ride

Prince    265

I have signed up for the great Brisbane bike ride which incorporates the Mt Cootha Challenge.   its 110km, with Mt Cootha optional. just wondering if anyone has done this before?  

goughy    2,147

Nope. I'm doing the 75 without the climb. My mate didn't want to do cootha, and like I'm in any climbing shape. At least we don't have to take a train home afterwards!

Prince    265

But with the 110 you don't have to do the climb.   Does that mean I am doing the 75?

Ronny    13

Did it a couple of years ago with the Cootha climb with a few guys from work.  Pretty cruisy ride (although I wasn't very fit when I did it, not saying I'm fit now though!)

bRace    39

Did 75km last year. Ir's a good ride. Police managed intersection control etc pretty well from what I saw. KFS Dve and ICB had lanes closed, as was Cootha. The 'avoid Cootha' deviation just cuts from Simpson Falls straight back to the Botanic Gardens and is for 75 & 110 riders.

Edited by bRace
Typo

truck    240
3 hours ago, Prince said:

But with the 110 you don't have to do the climb.   Does that mean I am doing the 75?

You don't end up with 110 if you don't do the climb - it's about a 9km loop so if you take the short cut you'll be about 8kms short.  The climbs only 2.2kms and is no big deal.

• Like 1

Tyno    1,366
6 minutes ago, truck said:

The climbs only 2.2kms and is no big deal.

I disagree entirely. :D

It's a very big deal for those, like me, who have a greater gravitational potential.....

• Like 1

bRace    39

There are plenty of hills all the way through the ride, especially on the 110k (Pullenvale, Pinjarra Hills, Moggill). Cootha is the longest, but will just blend in with the others by the time you finish. May as well do it.

AA7    1,001

Be careful of all the cycling numpties who arent used to riding close to others. 

Prince    265

What the heck   I will do Cootha   I am doing just as a training ride for cairns half  

I just don't know how fast everyone is going to be going that's all.   I assume their may be a few novices or gumbies?

goughy    2,147
2 hours ago, AA7 said:

Be careful of all the cycling numpties who arent used to riding close to others. 

Watch out for the dude on an old Cannondale with a stars and stripes paint scheme, he's a total humpty!

I actually wouldn't mind doing the climb, but my mate didn't want to. He hates hills, even though he can ride rings around me at the moment!

Ex-Hasbeen    3,875
2 hours ago, Prince said:

What the heck   I will do Cootha   I am doing just as a training ride for cairns half  

I just don't know how fast everyone is going to be going that's all.   I assume their may be a few novices or gumbies?

A couple years ago we were doing reps 1 morning a week. I could manage just under 10 now & then, but some of the real cyclists were doing just over 8. The winner will probably go 6:xx.

A guy on holidays from England joined us one morning. He was riding in board shorts, and had borrowed a bike from the Avanti shop that sponsored the bike team I was training with (I was just mates with the guys, not in the team). First rep he rode with me & I felt like shit having a kid in board shorts beat me up. Next rep he rode with the fastest in the team. third rep he left everyone behind. I never did find out his name.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

truck    240
4 hours ago, Tyno said:

I disagree entirely. :D

It's a very big deal for those, like me, who have a greater gravitational potential.....

Just means you get to go faster on the downhills so it all evens up doesn't it??

• Like 1

Tyno    1,366
39 minutes ago, truck said:

Just means you get to go faster on the downhills so it all evens up doesn't it??

Except when the filth park on the hill pinging cyclists for speeding. :police:

Ex-Hasbeen    3,875
1 hour ago, Tyno said:

Except when the filth park on the hill pinging cyclists for speeding. :police:

It used to annoy us going down the big hill toward the Botanical Gardens, sitting on the brakes the whole way because there'd be cops sitting down there every second morning.

Notsofast    132
16 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

A couple years ago we were doing reps 1 morning a week. I could manage just under 10 now & then, but some of the real cyclists were doing just over 8. The winner will probably go 6:xx.

A guy on holidays from England joined us one morning. He was riding in board shorts, and had borrowed a bike from the Avanti shop that sponsored the bike team I was training with (I was just mates with the guys, not in the team). First rep he rode with me & I felt like shit having a kid in board shorts beat me up. Next rep he rode with the fastest in the team. third rep he left everyone behind. I never did find out his name.

Chris Froome????? :lol:

• Like 1

Prince    265

What a great event. I skipped Cootha as my legs were a bit shot from Saturdays run and so glad I did as the hills around moggill were pretty decent. Still did just over a hundred. I was really impressed of how many police were out there directing traffic. I only had to stop once at. redlight for about 30 secs. Everything was signposted really well and overall an excellent event. 

goughy    2,147

Yeah, surprisingly I had a ball. Found out a week ago I can now stand on the pedals again and we'll used that ability yesterday, and it made a big difference. My mate and I were doing the 75, and when we got to cootha I turned right (having actually no idea where we were) and then heard my mate yelling at me from the left. So we skipped cootha, but really I was ok with that. My mate was already trashed. And that hill we got to that had the steep climb warning, he seized up, nearly fell and he had to walk it.

Yeah, I really enjoyed that! Much more than the Briseis to Goldie. But I was in a bit of pain for that one, and standing in the train on the way home sucked ass so it kinda ruined the experience. I think I like these ones that finish where they start. We parked a bit away so even skipping cootha we got our 75.  And home by around 1pm.  I'd like to do the longer next year with cootha.

Prince    265

Luckily your mate realised where you were when you went to my cootha turnoff and didn't follow you around to the right and continued on otherwise you may have stretched the friendship.   

• Like 1

goughy    2,147

He has a tendency to just ride of on me when I'm not at my best. He left me for dead at the Brissie to Goldie, just waiting for me at the rest stops. Me, I was constantly waiting for him on Sunday and happy to. Ain't no race for me. I just happened to get caught in a bunch and he went around and down the hill before me. If he hasn't called, of have just done the hill and caught him at the rest stop.