Turts

2017 age group world champs

Oh, it's just like riding on bike paths pretty much.

Just had a look at this, and also some of the comments from competitors, and I have to admit their outrage is justified.  It looks like a lovely route for cruising, but for a race which people have trained for and paid an exorbitant amount of money for?  I don't think so.

I'd hate to be FoP and catch the previous waves. Could you imagine trying to ride at your max, and coming up on a group of BoPers meandering along admiring the view.

Not to mention if its wet!! 

Lots of "shiny" surfaces in that video. 

Im on dodgy wifi in france , so havent watched the whole thing. But agree looks sketchy for a world champs. And on a tri bike a speed? Wowzers

I thought of posting on the official website that I didn't realise that the Dutch celebrated April Fools Day on the 4th September, but decided that was probably a little too rude.

Frankly, the course really pisses me off, there is no way it can be raced properly, as someone else mentioned faster riders are not going to be able to safely overtake in many locations, things such as hitting tram tracks parallel are dangerous, there is one spot where you duck through an underground parking garage with about 2 metres to spare, so possibly bright sunlight into a darker garage (not great for those like me who are visually impaired), there is a tight right hand which if you miss you end up in the river. Its downright dangerous with that number of people and would never get sanctioned in Australia for even a local race, yet alone World Championships.

The course is a disgrace, as a 50-54 in one of the last waves I guess I'll have the blood trails to follow.

I guess the one benefit is that I should have a decent run leg as its going to be very hard to push that course hard.

10 minutes ago, Turts said:

Im on dodgy wifi in france , so havent watched the whole thing. But agree looks sketchy for a world champs. And on a tri bike a speed? Wowzers

Fortunately I'm hiring a road bike and leaving my good bike at home. The bike course will be all about survival. I guess at least I'm in the OD race and not trying to draft around the course as per the Sprint.

3 hours ago, TenPints said:

Looks a bit mental, especially in a bunch.

Sprint us draft legal eh? Should be a cracker........

2 minutes ago, Evil Guru said:

Fortunately I'm hiring a road bike and leaving my good bike at home. The bike course will be all about survival. I guess at least I'm in the OD race and not trying to draft around the course as per the Sprint.

Same. Im renting a roadie in rotterdam. Very glad of that! From the course map u could tell it would be technical. But this is crazy!

Where r u getting urs?

Edited by Turts

3 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I'd hate to be FoP and catch the previous waves. Could you imagine trying to ride at your max, and coming up on a group of BoPers meandering along admiring the view.

Given the wave start spacing with some of us starting over 2.5 hours after the start this is exactly what is going to happen. My bike leg is my strongest leg and this race has just become a swim/run race.

2 minutes ago, Turts said:

Same. Im renting a roadie in rotterdam. Very glad of that! From the course map u could tell it would be technical. But this is crazy!

Where r u getting urs?

Wiel.nl. We've got 7 of us coming over from Hawthorn in Melbourne and I think we are all renting. I'm happy for it to be technical but there is no space to manevour around other riders at speed.

9 minutes ago, Evil Guru said:

I'm happy for it to be technical but there is no space to manevour around other riders at speed

Agreed.

Stay safe and run hard then!

• Like 1

Having watched most of the video, its not quite as bad as it seems, there will be sections which will be slow and tricky, but also enough wider path for over taking. It'll require some strategic riding and accelerations when there are opportunities and patience when there is not.

Enjoy the experience and race whatever is thrown at us.

36 minutes ago, Turts said:

Sprint us draft legal eh? Should be a cracker........

Yep, draft legal, so navigating in a pack will be interesting, especially when it narrows as those up front can attack and get away. Also that right hander Evil mentions, you don't want to be on the outside line and get pushed into the drink. Think it will be a case of being tactically astute with positioning with some aggression thrown in. Anyway, I'll be off the back of the swim so could end up on my own...doing a Bradbury perhaps! If I crash and rip my Aussie suit, I'll be mad as!

Disappointing for a World Champs course, and unfortunately it's not the first time.

You've done the hard yards to get to the race, unless you're racing for a podium spot just take it easy and stay safe.  Enjoy the experience, stay upright and live to fight another day!

• Like 2

From the organisers:

We wanted to reply, and clarify a few things after reading comments once the course video was posted. We acknowledge the way the bike course is portrayed (in the video) is not the best reflection of the true conditions you'll face on race day. Many of the visible elements, and racing lines during the video are confusing, and not applicable on race day. Neither are all course optimisation measures demonstrated. We’ve taken you’re constructive feedback on board and are working closely with the City Council of Rotterdam and ITU looking further into where improvements can be made when considering operational perspectives. Both the LOC and ITU have your safety as athletes in the highest priority. We’ll continue to work on the overall athlete experience at this years World Triathlon Series Grand Final event here in Rotterdam to be the best ever.

............ in the mean time we are setting up cameras at all the critical sections and working on licensing the Benny Hill theme music for the race highlights video. :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, TenPints said:

Please note that airbags are now compulsory on the bike, in case you end up riding into the water

Floaties

1 hour ago, TenPints said:

Please note that airbags are now compulsory on the bike, in case you end up riding into the water

57 minutes ago, AA7 said:

Floaties

Leave your wetsuit on.

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Leave your wetsuit on.

Save the nasty road rash too

Having had a day to think about this, its not ideal but it is what it is. Mental attitude shift to urban cyclecross racing, attack when its safe and ride safe in order to finish when its required. I'm not there to win or hurt myself so might as well ride the bike leg with that in mind and enjoy the ride.

• Like 2