I used to get a bit pissed at drivers nearly taking me out and never had a problem having a toe to toe discussion with them about their driving.  After 5yrs off the bike, I swore I'd be more forgiving and easy going, and so I was for the first few months, just waving at people who nearly got me, not having a hissy over it.

But after 2 near misses in 3 days, I'm back to being an angry prick again.  I can understand in Sydney with heaps of traffic how drivers miss seeing cyclists and get the shits with them on narrow busy roads, but out here it should be a doddle for them.  When they do nearly get me, and we discuss their driving behaviour, it was my fault cos "I should have been looking".  Well lady, if I'd not been looking and had not predicted your likelihood of failing to Give Way from 30m out, you'd have nailed me good.

Some Fly6 footage.

Edited by ComfortablyNumb

Is   'out here' country/regions? In my somewhat limited experience,  country towns and roads seem to have a hardened minority of cyclist haters.

I think I need to get one of those cameras for the commuter, been tossing up for a while now

If I had to put up with those risks  I think I'd evaluate not worth it, and just run and (maybe) swim. 

2 hours ago, gregb said:

Two of them in sign written vehicles. Black list those businesses. 

Yeah, irony is that first one has a long history around here of cyclist menacing.  Some of their people ride Harley's & play chicken with cyclists.  There was one c*ckhead taken to court for playing chicken on his motorbike with the local cycling club about 10yts ago (because there happened to be a cop in the cycling club).  I suspect it was one of these dicks, but it hasn't stopped them taking great delight in purposely conducting near misses.

15 minutes ago, longshot said:

Is   'out here' country/regions? In my somewhat limited experience,  country towns and roads seem to have a hardened minority of cyclist haters.

I think I need to get one of those cameras for the commuter, been tossing up for a while now

If I had to put up with those risks  I think I'd evaluate not worth it, and just run and (maybe) swim. 

Yes. Armidale.  There is sweet FA traffic out here, and no motorist is ever held up by some poor bugger on a pushy for more than 10 secs.  Still many hate us.  The incident where the last near-miss happened is on the most popular cycling road out of town.  Just 30m past where she nearly got me, the council has put up a 'Caution Cyclists Next 20kms Sign'. 

The Fly6 was a Mothers Day gift for my wife when she was riding, but I use it now as she can't bring herself to ride on the road anymore.

Fair dinkum I only ride about 60kms/week on the road now and I'm pondering the wisdom of even that small amount.  But it is my favorite form of exercise.

Edited by ComfortablyNumb

Interestingly data shows that the more cyclists there are the safer it is for them as people are looking out for them automatically... That doesn't take into account people being deliberate tossers though.

• Like 1

you can report these types of things online in Qld & attach the images from your camera, 

having made a couple of such reports last year prompted me to ask Transport Qld for the number of in infringements actually issued,

(see  http://forums.transitions.org.au/index.php?/topic/72030-about-those-new-passing-laws/   thread )

Should have asked for a breakdown by region - I get the feeling a lot of the officers write these reports off as too hard to proceed with (unless they have a body on the road to deal with) compared with the beloved speed radar that produces a nice empirical evidence that they can submit to court relatively uncontested. 

Unfortunately the online form does not have a feedback (to the complainant) requirement.

I can't be bothered reporting them unless it is something intentionally dangerous.

I'll happily have a 'discussion' :wink1: with them though, and guarantee it means next time they come to that intersection/roundabout, they'll remember, have a proper look, and not clean up some poor muppet on their bike.

Ya gotta love that last one though.  I'd have just kept riding and not bothered to turn around until she gave me the horn blast.

Me: "What's your bloody problem.  That's a Give Way sign you just went through".

Her: "I gave way"

Me: " No, you kept coming through and nearly got me, you have to give way"

Her: "Well you should have been looking"

Me: (laughing with incredulity): "Wake up to yourself you dopey cow"

Her: "Oh you angry man" and gases it.

Fark me :lol:

I just use Zwift now... down side though, nearly stacked it at a hairpin turn last race :D 

Hat-trick :blink:

The front-on footage is from a pair of those $20 Ebay sunglasses with a camera in them (not as good as the Fly6, but would still be useful if the worst came to the worst).

Am I doing something obviously wrong?  I wear a bright coloured jersey always (I reckon you're mad if you ride in black or grey), bright red helmet, on a very visible white & red bike atm?

Gosh.  At a guess you were doing about 20km/h? If that's you're every day ride experience would seem to be a stress exercise in frustration, and near death.

I never trust the cars to see me on roundabouts, apart from anything else the driver side pillar is in the way, or the focus thing where the drivers are looking for other cars, not cyclists. But that's different to drivers who see you and  decide just a  damn cyclist I'm going first, which seems to be your part of the world. I thought Armidale was a university town, which should mean lots of cyclists and a harmonized environment ...

I got abused by cranky black ute man after crossing the Grey st bridge in Brisbane yesterday morning. He wanted my lane and must have crashed his jet ski or his dirt bike because he was angry. Stereotyping I know but probably right. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, longshot said:

Gosh.  At a guess you were doing about 20km/h? If that's you're every day ride experience would seem to be a stress exercise in frustration, and near death.

I never trust the cars to see me on roundabouts, apart from anything else the driver side pillar is in the way, or the focus thing where the drivers are looking for other cars, not cyclists. But that's different to drivers who see you and  decide just a  damn cyclist I'm going first, which seems to be your part of the world. I thought Armidale was a university town, which should mean lots of cyclists and a harmonized environment ...

About 15km/h I reckon.

It is a Uni town, but hardly any of the students ride pushies. They are either Asians in BMWs/Audis/Hondas or Australians in little hatchbacks or big utes with 15 aerials.  TBH, it's mid-aged people in most of the near-misses.  I find most of the P-platers pretty respectful to bikes.

It is getting stressful. The MTB track is a far more Zen-like experience, even with the odd brown snake on the track.

26 minutes ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

or Australians in little hatchbacks or big utes with 15 aerials. 

You need to find space on your bike to put a Ninidigully pub sticker and heaps of bns stickers, they'll respect you then

28 minutes ago, Cottoneyes said:

You need to find space on your bike to put a Ninidigully pub sticker and heaps of bns stickers, they'll respect you then

My old Hilux has Armidale street-cred in this regard (used to be Conargo Pub - where is Ninidigully?)

HiluxStickers_zpsnbtdortg.jpg

This could be a problem though - riding a girls bike :blink:

SubZero_zpslm9hpqxe.jpg

Check this FB page for some real interesting stuff.

https://www.facebook.com/Aussies.Over.Cyclists/

Interestingly, there is a motorcyclist found guilty of manslaughter (hit a cyclist) awaiting sentencing at the moment. A comment he made in social media regarding cyclists was used in the criminal proceedings.

Get f---ed c---t. Start paying for using the roads or keep coping abuse and 2inch flybys

Retards don't realise most packs of cyclists have at least one camera amongst them.

On ‎8‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 8:10 AM, ComfortablyNumb said:

SubZero_zpslm9hpqxe.jpg

White bike with white bar tape and saddle, I think that's your real problem.

I'm also losing my nerve - training for IM Cairns this year, the traffic feels a lot worse than the last time I did a lot of riding (2013). Maybe I'm just more aware. I'm doing a lot of Zwift stuff now - I'm almost looking forward to doing 6 hours on there this Saturday instead of going outside (rain is forecast - Illawarra region).

Edited by WhiffyFuzzball

27 minutes ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Be Afraid. Very Afraid :D

We were riding over Mt Mee north of Brisbane one morning, and a cattle kelpie chased us for close to 5km. This was just on sunrise. I can imagine the look he would have given the owner, (a farmer) when he got back and was asked to head out to work the cattle. :)

If you look in the background at 0.03 and 0.14 you''ll see a chook take off.  I saw chooks all over the track on approach.  As the dog got close I saw it out of the corner of my eye and thought it was a rooster chasing me - I'll take a dog any day over something with feathers :unsure:

Nindigully is the home of the most historical B&S Balls in western QLD.  If you are familiar with the vehicle I'd advise to clean it thoroughly inside and out.