AA7

Triathlete Bike Accident

Ex-Hasbeen    3,874

Certainly not having a go at Lauren, but yet another of those articles that goes straight for the "Professional Triathlete" & "2nd at the World Championships", where-as she was 2nd in her AG (no small achievement in itself though).

• Like 1

Ruley    740

bad journalism about the 2nd at the world championships really but mute point when she might be a paraplegic. hopefully she makes a good recovery and if not adjusts well to the deficets she is left with.

• Like 1

monkie    174
21 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Certainly not having a go at Lauren, but yet another of those articles that goes straight for the "Professional Triathlete" & "2nd at the World Championships", where-as she was 2nd in her AG (no small achievement in itself though).

Does this matter? Really? The girl is paralyzed! I'm sure you appreciate that but on first reading it seems a petty point to make :)

• Like 1

IronmanFoz    664

2 tyres blowing at the same time..... That's freaky. 

Makes you really think about descending at speed. 

Hope recovery is smooth sailing. 

Emo    122
10 hours ago, monkie said:

Does this matter? Really? The girl is paralyzed! I'm sure you appreciate that but on first reading it seems a petty point to make :)

Who cares if she what she does or what sport she plays, she is one of our small group that does triathlon and you have a crack at that (sad days for you). Be careful not to get two flat tyres grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

nealo    1,285
2 hours ago, Emo said:

Who cares what she does or what sport she plays,

I think that was kind of the point of Ex's post.

I've read enough of Ex's posts to know he meant no ill will.

Coming up to 2 years since riding a bike and stories like this don't encourage me to get out there.

I wish her all the best.

Ex-Hasbeen    3,874

I figured i'd get some reaction, but there was definitely no angst against her, and I certainly feel deeply for what she's gone through. If she'd come 59th in the 40 - 45 Ag at the Bribie sprint distance race, then the incident is still just as debilitating for Lauren, and just as heartbreaking for all of us, but would channel 9 have run with it? Probably not. Because they could put "professional triathlete" and " 2nd in the triathlon world championships", they can make a headline of it.

That's the point I was trying to make.

• Like 3

Mjainoz    1,046
16 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Yeah I wondered about that (I had a front tyre go at 70kph + c1985)

I wonder if its was a pothole ie snakebite.  

Very very sad.

ironpo    2,839
7 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I figured i'd get some reaction, but there was definitely no angst against her, and I certainly feel deeply for what she's gone through. If she'd come 59th in the 40 - 45 Ag at the Bribie sprint distance race, then the incident is still just as debilitating for Lauren, and just as heartbreaking for all of us, but would channel 9 have run with it? Probably not. Because they could put "professional triathlete" and " 2nd in the triathlon world championships", they can make a headline of it.

Correct 

Notsofast    132
18 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Guys,

From my understanding she wasn't decending, they blew during an effort. I have heard she was travelling at about 45km/h when it happened.

Very sad, I hope her recovery goes well.

Cheers

NSF

• Like 1

Shrek    138
On ‎30‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 7:34 AM, nealo said:

Coming up to 2 years since riding a bike and stories like this don't encourage me to get out there.

I wish her all the best.

time for a new bike........

a mountain bike.....

Mjainoz    1,046
On 4/30/2017 at 7:34 AM, nealo said:

I wish her all the best.

7 months for me.  In that time Kamal gone.  Hans B.  This one above.  And then I read this today ..  maybe I will get back on.....  http://www.ridemedia.com.au/features/keagan-girdlestone-inspiration/

IronmanFoz    664

Makes me think more and more about cycling every day. I know the reason I chose to ride mostly solo or in very small groups.....no one to bring me down for starters.........and I try to ride in the nation parks or on quiet rode which I know or even ones with bike lanes/3 lanes (Mona Vale Road for example). 

I will never do cycling racing - too many idiots (read wannabes) out there whose ego don't match there ability. A friend went down in a race out at West Head (Sydney) in December and still not in good shape - he was taken out by someone barging through in a sprint. 

For the above reason I hope Ironman never becomes open to legal drafting - same for short course. 

Ps: bike maintenance is the key! In a lot of crashes too. 

Ride safe all!

FatPom    2,321
4 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Makes me think more and more about cycling every day. I know the reason I chose to ride mostly solo or in very small groups.....no one to bring me down for starters.........and I try to ride in the nation parks or on quiet rode which I know or even ones with bike lanes/3 lanes (Mona Vale Road for example). 

I will never do cycling racing - too many idiots (read wannabes) out there whose ego don't match there ability. A friend went down in a race out at West Head (Sydney) in December and still not in good shape - he was taken out by someone barging through in a sprint. 

For the above reason I hope Ironman never becomes open to legal drafting - same for short course. 

Ps: bike maintenance is the key! In a lot of crashes too. 

Ride safe all!

I'd say the opposite, by far the more dangerous riders are the ones that have never raced, think they could and ride in groups like they are.  

But back on topic, this does sound like a tragic accident. Not sure if anything could have been done to reduce that risk.

Edited by FatPom

Slowman    238
On 30/04/2017 at 8:47 AM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

That certainly occurred to me too that the journalist deliberately did this to "sell" the story better. It may not even be the journalist's fault, they may have written it accurately and correctly then the editor ...edited!

I hope she makes a full recovery, eventually.