trifun

About those new passing laws

trifun    149

So about those new min passing distance laws in Qld.

In the first 1000 days there were: 

133 infringement notices issued for "Fail to maintain 1m/1.5m when passing a bicycle",

that is just under one a week.

Hmmmmm - I could issue that many all by myself - what have the rest of you been doing?

PS: Four are still (as at 1/1/17) pending court appearances, three other ones were taken to court in that 1000 days. 

* Data sourced from Qld Transport (personal FOI request)

trifun    149

$365 and 3 points if you pay up.

Max fine if you take it to court is $4876 plus costs.

Interestingly:

"If you want to pass 2 bicycle riders that are riding next to each other, the minimum passing distance applies to the bicycle rider closest to the right. It is legal for 2 bicycle riders to ride side-by-side on a road, as long as they are not more than 1.5m apart."

zed    771

I have no idea how this will go in WA when/if they pass this law (imminent I believe), there are long sections of road (10km+) where there are very few opportunities to pass a cyclist keeping a 1m gap. I think it's a great idea, but it's going to cause traffic chaos. 

• Like 1

trifun    149
4 minutes ago, zed said:

I have no idea how this will go in WA when/if they pass this law (imminent I believe), there are long sections of road (10km+) where there are very few opportunities to pass a cyclist keeping a 1m gap. I think it's a great idea, but it's going to cause traffic chaos. 

Qld: Crossing lines to pass a bicycle rider

To pass a bicycle rider—as long as it is safe to do so—you are allowed to:

• drive over centre lines (including double unbroken centre lines) on a 2-way road
  • straddle or cross a lane line (including a continuous lane line) on a multi-lane road
  • drive on a painted island.

If it is not safe to pass a bicycle rider, you must wait until it is safe to pass.

Ironnerd    338
1 hour ago, zed said:

I have no idea how this will go in WA when/if they pass this law (imminent I believe), 

Surely our new government won't break an election promise :cry: 

Charlesn    192

Not many infringements, but the law is solid, and in the right direction. Decent penalty if you get caught. And the education campaign is probably key to improving safety.

Cops aren't gonna drive around behind cyclists at 30kmh waiting for someone to drive close.

we love to play the victim, but on this one I've got no complaints

• Like 1

IronmanFoz    664

The stupid thing about the rule is drivers are now far too cautious and wait too long to pass and pass in a panic. Often leads to a worse outcome for cyclist if it goes pear shaped!

-H-    618

On my last visit to Queensland (The Bay, in fact) I was impressed by the amount of room I was given by motorists.  I think the only vehicle that came within a metre was the garbage truck.  It made a very pleasant change from Victoria, where apparently we don't need safe passing laws.

Ex-Hasbeen    3,875

They're particularly effective for early morning rides where cars can cross the double lines safely due to not too many other cars around. Whilst a lot of people around here complain about bikes, they do tend to give us a lot of room.

• Like 2

goughy    2,147

Yes, it has noticeably improved things. There will always be those who'll glide right by to teach us a lesson. But in general is a big improvement. The biggest thing I can say is acknowledge as often as you can when a car does the right thing. I'm always waving, nodding the head etc. The happier I can leave drivers the better I think.

• Like 2

Mjainoz    1,046
On 2017-4-28 at 4:49 PM, trifun said:

So about those new min passing distance laws in Qld.

In the first 1000 days there were: 

133 infringement notices issued for "Fail to maintain 1m/1.5m when passing a bicycle",

that is just under one a week.

Hmmmmm - I could issue that many all by myself - what have the rest of you been doing?

PS: Four are still (as at 1/1/17) pending court appearances, three other ones were taken to court in that 1000 days. 

* Data sourced from Qld Transport (personal FOI request)

wow  I am (sadly) impressed that ANY action is being taken.  How many fines in NSW I wonder ... 

trifun    149

On the flipside I am continually surprised by how many people fail to realise that they / the fools they see can be fined (and have an entry on their permanent driving record  AKA "points") for their behaviour on a bicycle - like the nurse at my mum's nursing home who complained to me (as a "known" cyclist) that she nearly hit some man the previous evening driving home from her shift (so 10pm) as he had no lights and she was dazed by the oncoming vehicles.

Cat Terrist    61
On 29/04/2017 at 10:32 PM, Mjainoz said:

wow  I am (sadly) impressed that ANY action is being taken.  How many fines in NSW I wonder ... 

Bluntly put - they dont enforce it at all.

I've lodged two seperate complaints against two seperate police vehicles. I'm seriously considering a Fly6 now so I can do more than complain because come on, this is BS - this is a GOOD law to uphold and yet the police are doing jack squat... oh but look out if you dont have a bell while on a road

• Like 1