Andrew #1

Winterfish

Ex-Hasbeen    3,802

OK, coach is on board. Iron Century this Friday

100 x 100s (but I'm going to woos out & do them on 105s). I figure it will take just under 3 hours at that pace, which will get me to work just in time for morning tea. 2 x bacon & egg rolls should see that done, then I can sit at my desk all day, feel those great aches & pains that only an endurance athlete learns to love, & wait for beers after work. :) 

So far today has gone to plan. 100 x 100 on 1:45. I did the first couple on 1:40 pace to warm up, then settled at 1:36-37. Leg cramped at about number 55, so I shoved a pull buoy in for the rest. At about 65 I upped the pace to 1:35's and held that through to about 90, when my stroke started to degenerate due to tired shoulders. I managed a 1:30 for number 99, then finished with another 1:35.

B&E burgers have been demolished, loving this tired upper body feeling, and the better half has already been to Dan Murphy's to get a carton of IPA.

Gotta love life when it all plays out to plan.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Like 5

Andrew #1    822

Missed yesterday's swim - work commitments. Will not break 10km this week alas. However 2 weeks until I depRt for Port Douglas and the Cairns 70.3 should see me well over 12km per week for those weeks. Will get to 50km by Cairns 70.3 & finish winterfish challenge with 9 days to spare!

Ex-Hasbeen    3,802
On 5/18/2017 at 4:03 PM, Tyno said:

Isn't all of Brisbane supposed to be a dam this weekend?

What day are you planning? I'm soft, will I be too cold?

If you're coming down tomorrow, bring your wetsuit.

I managed 1km this morning, then hopped out, rugged up, had my hot tea from the thermos, put my electric seat warmer on in the car, and drove to a pool to get another km in.

Wetsuit tomorrow.

Tyno    1,330
2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

If you're coming down tomorrow, bring your wetsuit.

My wetsuit was purchased 6 years and 25 kgs ago.

Don't wait for me. :D

Ex-Hasbeen    3,802
3 hours ago, Tyno said:

My wetsuit was purchased 6 years and 25 kgs ago.

Don't wait for me. :D

Until a couple months ago, I was using one from the 80's. It isn't quite as flattering to my body shape any more, but they are quite stretchy. :)

Andrew #1    822
On 19/05/2017 at 11:55 AM, Andrew #1 said:

Missed yesterday's swim - work commitments. Will not break 10km this week alas. However 2 weeks until I depRt for Port Douglas and the Cairns 70.3 should see me well over 12km per week for those weeks. Will get to 50km by Cairns 70.3 & finish winterfish challenge with 9 days to spare!

So EMo set at 2.1km 1500M swim course for Port Stephens Tri this morning. That, plus my warm up and swim down at the resort pool this afternoon gave me around 3km for the day.

a 1km recovery swim before check out tomorrow morning will get me above 10km for the week!

Ex-Hasbeen    3,802

Dam was damn cold this morning, but I managed 2.5km without wetsuit. It helped that the other 3 people swimming weren't using them either, and they were continuing on for a 2hr swim. I had the heater on in the car & the electric seat warmer (when we got the car i thought "what a waste" but love it now) for the half hour home, but 15 minutes later, I'm shivering again. 

Can't imagine the channel is going to be much fun if I eventually decide to do it.

Andrew #1    822

Recovery swim done. 10.2km for the week

20km in total for the first three weeks of winter fish 

• Like 3

Ex-Hasbeen    3,802
9 hours ago, Tyno said:

What was visibility like Ex?

Other than the goggles frosting up, it was good. As usual, about 1m visibility in the water, but the fog was a bit higher out there, so no issue seeing the buoys along in front of the dam wall.

Ex-Hasbeen    3,802

OK. One more week before it gets hard. My back-up pool is still open this week, but then closes on the Winter this coming Saturday. 3.1km this morning before physio, can't get there tomorrow, but will be aiming for Wed to Fri at 3 to 4km a session. 

Not sure what I'll do from next week, but I'm not one to give up.

KieranR    109

OK. One more week before it gets hard. My back-up pool is still open this week, but then closes on the Winter this coming Saturday. 3.1km this morning before physio, can't get there tomorrow, but will be aiming for Wed to Fri at 3 to 4km a session. 

Not sure what I'll do from next week, but I'm not one to give up.

Do all your pools close full time over winter or something?  seems odd.

My swimming is going ok, not doing anything other than what my training plan for Cairns has me down to do at the moment

zed    752
On 19/05/2017 at 7:37 AM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

So far today has gone to plan. 100 x 100 on 1:45. I did the first couple on 1:40 pace to warm up, then settled at 1:36-37. Leg cramped at about number 55, so I shoved a pull buoy in for the rest. At about 65 I upped the pace to 1:35's and held that through to about 90, when my stroke started to degenerate due to tired shoulders. I managed a 1:30 for number 99, then finished with another 1:35.

B&E burgers have been demolished, loving this tired upper body feeling, and the better half has already been to Dan Murphy's to get a carton of IPA.

Gotta love life when it all plays out to plan.

Jeez, solid set there mate!

Ex-Hasbeen    3,802
17 minutes ago, KieranR said:

Do all your pools close full time over winter or something?  seems odd.

Not all, but my local one closes (It's main use is the school next door and they don't use it in Winter) and the other 2 that are on my path into the city close next week. They are all outdoor pools, and the claim is the number of swimmers doesn't cover the heating cost. There are still a few larger pools around that stay open, and I suppose I'll just have to do a bit of driving to get there. I suppose I've been spoiled living in semi rural, and having a good pool so close to home.

pieman    378

1km today just to stay in front of Tyno... :lol:

My 30 swim pool pass expired 2 months ago unused apparently, that gave the counter girl quite a chuckle...

• Like 1

KieranR    109

I suppose I've been spoiled living in semi rural, and having a good pool so close to home.

i know this feeling well, my 50m and 25m pool are in the same complex and if i walk there it takes me no more than 2 minutes to cross the road and be getting my goggles on

truck    229
3 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Not all, but my local one closes (It's main use is the school next door and they don't use it in Winter) and the other 2 that are on my path into the city close next week. They are all outdoor pools, and the claim is the number of swimmers doesn't cover the heating cost. There are still a few larger pools around that stay open, and I suppose I'll just have to do a bit of driving to get there. I suppose I've been spoiled living in semi rural, and having a good pool so close to home.

Probably not on your way but loads of squads to pick from at UQ (claim the largest number in Brisbane).  Start from 4.30 M/W/F and go every hour until 7.30 I think.  Then there's lunchtime and evening squads.  There's some very quick swimmers there and the second pool should be opening shortly if you like 25m pools.

Ex-Hasbeen    3,802
38 minutes ago, truck said:

Probably not on your way but loads of squads to pick from at UQ (claim the largest number in Brisbane).  Start from 4.30 M/W/F and go every hour until 7.30 I think.  Then there's lunchtime and evening squads.  There's some very quick swimmers there and the second pool should be opening shortly if you like 25m pools.

Swam there years ago, but these days it's just too difficult for me to get there. With the hours I'm working, I really need something "kind-of" on my way. Newmarket pool complex keeps the 25m one open all winter, but they don't open till 8, and then close at 3:30, so that's no good.

I'll probably make a trip or 2 a week to Albany Creek, or come in real early & go up to Centenary (I can say hello to Cranky), then do the real miles in the dam on the weekend.

Well, back in the pool after 11 days off due to shoulder issues. 3.2km fairly easy. Shoulder feels OK so far. Normally have been swimming Mon,Tue,Wed,Fri,Sat but was planning just MWF this week back to ease the shoulder in. Then remembered I'm having a few bits cut out Wed arvo (bcc's) and doc always says no swimming until stitches out. Never did follow that advice and never had any real probs. Only issue was doing a 10k ows the day after once. Was in a "fresh" water body (Champion Lakes, Perth) and had a slight infection in the calf, nothing nasty but left a more obvious scar than normal. Pretty sure there's enough chlorine in pools to not cause probs, same with nice clean salt water in the ocean.

gw

Andrew #1    822

Decision time - should I do a wetsuit swim in Wollongong boat harbour OR go down to the sea baths ...

Ex-Hasbeen    3,802
13 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

Decision time - should I do a wetsuit swim in Wollongong boat harbour OR go down to the sea baths ...

Both. :)

Says me, who slept in today, and will do a big fat zilch today. I will do some physio work on both shoulder & knee though.

Andrew #1    822
1 minute ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Both. :)

Says me, who slept in today, and will do a big fat zilch today. I will do some physio work on both shoulder & knee though.

Excellent!

Ex-Hasbeen    3,802

Another 3.1km this morning. And what's more, I managed my first sub 15min for 1km in ages this morning. I was starting to think ages was slowing me down. I'm now pretty certain it was the shoulder, and as it's starting to improve, I'm feeling stronger in the water. Back to chasing that elusive 13:xx

Two more days till this pool closes, but I've already advised Cranky I'll be turning up at Centenary a couple mornings a week.

So Andrew, did you do both, one, or neither? :)

Andrew #1    822

So yesterday morning I discovered that the Sea Baths in the Gong were closed so I did 2km in the Boat Harbour - around a nice ~270M triangle with my steamer that I haven't worn in over 18months. It felt very fast. According to my Garmin I was bullshit fast! 2km on 25 minutes averaging 1:18/100M 

Now I was going to write this off as a Garmin sat-Nav error except for the following:

1. The last time I was at or under 90kg the suit actually fitted me and I could hold 1:15/100M in the pool comfortably. Yesterday was the first time in 5years that the steamer actually felt comfortable. And I felt fast through the water ...

and 

2. The Garmin was showing exactly the same distance for each lap. Usually when the sat-nav plays up the readings are all over the place. Plus I'm using the new 935 ...

I just hope i can swim that fast for real in Cairns!

this morning I did 20 x 100M on 1:45 (averaging 1:33 per 100) at Prince Alfred pool at central. 2.2km in total. 

emski    58

I'm happy I'm plodding along nicely. Hopefully I can keep it up, this is my 3rd attempt, the last two years my swimming usually drops off. But swimming has been my most consistent sport this year so far, so hopefully I can keep it up and make the 50!

• Like 1