Cat Lady

TQ - the endless saga of the calf sleeve debacle

Cat Lady    301

Fronted at the "flagship" TQ sprint race at moreton bay today wearing the sleeve on my dodgy calf to be told that I would be DQ if I wore it as a ruling and announcement had been made that morning.  I very politely pointed out to the official that TA does not ban calf sleeves, socks yes, sleeves OK.  She responded that no ruling exists to permit them and as such I would not be able to wear it unless I wanted to to be DQ.  I asked her that if I pulled the muscle in my calf would I be able to sue TQ (I laughed as I said it) she assured me that if I wanted I could wear it but I'd be carded and I'd have to see the race referee at the end, who was very understanding of these things and it would be OK and I'd most likely be reinstated.  ??? I had a look around and wondered why those people wearing tape were allowed to compete without threat of disqualification.  Maybe next time I'll just wrap my calf in tape!!!

wish TA would act on this and stop the confusion.

zed    769

Why have they made this ruling on calf sleeves/socks? I wear them occasionally in races.

Peter    1,611

Sorry why are they banned?  

Crime against fashion or does it somehow put you in danger as far as TQ is concerned?

Basically whats the official reason why they are banned?

Cat Lady    301
1 minute ago, Peter said:

Sorry why are they banned?  

Crime against fashion or does it somehow put you in danger as far as TQ is concerned?

Basically whats the official reason why they are banned?

The phrase performance enhancing was uttered ?!? I only ever wear one when the leg is playing up as a preventative measure, so in this case it could be considered performance enhancing - but no more than someone with taped up knees, shoulders etc.

Peter    1,611

I would have just said. DQ me and walked off. 

Its not like it matters unless you are going to win overall

• Like 1

goughy    2,146

is this like how all thumbs are fingers but not all fingers are thumbs?

So all socks are socks, but only some sleeves are socks?

• Like 1

Rocket Salad    1,068
6 minutes ago, goughy said:

is this like how all thumbs are fingers but not all fingers are thumbs?

So all socks are socks, but only some sleeves are socks?

You funny

• Like 1

zed    769
1 hour ago, Cat Lady said:

The phrase performance enhancing was uttered ?!? I only ever wear one when the leg is playing up as a preventative measure, so in this case it could be considered performance enhancing - but no more than someone with taped up knees, shoulders etc.

That's completely ridiculous. 

ironpo    2,836
1 hour ago, Peter said:

Correct

• Like 1

Peter    1,611
27 minutes ago, roxii said:

The rediculous part is that as far as I'm aware it has been cleared up but TO's have no idea what they are doing. 

http://www.triathlon.org.au/State_Associations/NSW/About_Us/Latest_News/NSW_Technical_Officials__Technical_Advice__Calf_Socks_vs__Calf_Sleeves.htm

I'd be finding out who the RR was and send them this to tell all of their TO's.  particularly the one you were dealing with.

Calf Sleeves (also known as calf guards)

Calf sleeves are comprised of 100% textile material and provide compression forces on the calves. The fabric does not cover the toes and therefore the calf sleeve does not provide a competitive advantage in the swim leg.

RCR Rule 1.1 (o) allows calf sleeves to be worn at any time during an event, including during a non-wetsuit swim.

These rules are consistent with Triathlon Australia’s Sun Protection Policy, and apply for every sanctioned event in Australia, unless the Technical Delegate has specifically created a Special Rule to the contrary.

Cat Lady    301
15 minutes ago, Peter said:

I'd be finding out who the RR was and send them this to tell all of their TO's.  particularly the one you were dealing with.

obviously they created a "special rule" so were within their rights to ban them.  

Peter    1,611
11 minutes ago, Cat Lady said:

obviously they created a "special rule" so were within their rights to ban them.  

I'd actually question TQ over this. 

TA rules should over ride the states. 

its their sport 

Edited by Peter

Greyman    317

TQ still on the popularity campaign. FFS get with the program. 

trifun    149

Should have asked her if you could wear a condom under your swimmers (to keep things clean in that murky water) because I pretty sure they are not mentioned in the rules either....

IronmanFoz    664
10 hours ago, Peter said:

I would have just told them to phuck off!

trilobite    93

Can any TOs (or anyone else up to speed with tri rules) tell me if I can compete in a burqa?

it could have opened up some opportunities for Julie Miller...

goughy    2,146

So we are saying that this is just another case of misinterpretation of a rule?  Can Roxii or someone get some clarification on this, or is clarification something off of the cards? Is it an issue with covering the foot/toes, or is a flotation issue (holding the lower body up)?

roxii    4,113

As above

RCR Rule 1.1 (o) allows calf sleeves to be worn at any time during an event, including during a non-wetsuit swim.

the only thing that needs to be clarified is WTF the TO's think they are enforcing. 

• Like 1

goughy    2,146

Hence the need for clarification!

roxii    4,113

I get what you are gettng at but I don't think "clarification" is the term, the rule seems clear and no need for clarification. 

What is required is an explanation as to why the TO's were enforcing a rule that does not exist or more importantly contradicting an existing rule 

its like a cop booking you for driving within the speed limit!! 

Cat Lady    301
1 hour ago, roxii said:

I get what you are gettng at but I don't think "clarification" is the term, the rule seems clear and no need for clarification. 

What is required is an explanation as to why the TO's were enforcing a rule that does not exist or more importantly contradicting an existing rule 

its like a cop booking you for driving within the speed limit!! 

it's the coda which causes the issue(my italics and underline):

These rules are consistent with Triathlon Australia’s Sun Protection Policy, and apply for every sanctioned event in Australia, unless the Technical Delegate has specifically created a Special Rule to the contrary.