KieranR

My Bowels dont want to wait!

Hi, Sorry for the sh!t topic, but wondering if i can tap into some of the knowledge base here from the more experienced.  This morning I had a 2hr run in zone 1/2 Heart rate, all was going well until i hit the 10km mark.  my bowels started to make me a bit uncomfy where i was to afraid to have a fart in case i literally shat myself, not knowing where the public toilets are here i decided to slow right down and basically shuffle / walk the 4 km home so i could use the toilet.  Im trying to figure out what may have caused this as I cant say this particular situation has happened before.

I have had some gut cramping before which brought on a hurried toilet stop after i took on a gel (V Fuel), I've since moved on from them and make my own gels at home which is the same as my bike fuel which work fine for me,  today there was no cramping, just the over whelming need to go for #2's.

I emptied my bowels before i went for the run so didn't think this would happen, could it be maybe effects from yesterdays diet, fluid intake, lack of electrolytes yesterday maybe, yesterday i just did an easy hour on the road bike in the AM, honestly didn't take in enough water during the day, bacon eggs for brekkie, lunch was just a salad, dinner home made pizzas with home made gluten free bases and standard gluten free toppings with chicken breast (we have a coeliac in the house hence we live GF lifestyle)

This mornings run was fasted which is normal, took on one of my home made gels at 5 km (raspberries, Himalayan salt, lemon juice, MCT oil, Rice Malt Syrup)

So really confused as to what bought this on today suddenly - any suggestions

Thanks

Could have been anything your food has touched in the prior 24 hours or something you have picked up. If that's never happened before then it's nothing to be concerned about. 

If not normal, then yes, it's annoying. Me, I always emptied myself before a morning run, but also made sure there was a toilet about the 2km mark, cause I would always have to go again. From there on, urge free. I gave up trying to fight it, so just worked around it.

Maybe you double-dosed the MCT in that batch of gels?  That would clear you out quick

Cup of tea as soon as I get up gets the rear end into gear immediately. I never run less than 30 mins after waking. It just goes. 

FM

1 hour ago, The Turtle said:

Maybe you double-dosed the MCT in that batch of gels?  That would clear you out quick

nope, got that stuff all sorted. am aware of people not being used to it having dramas when first starting on it, I've been using it for over 1 year now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Flanman said:

Cup of tea as soon as I get up gets the rear end into gear immediately. I never run less than 30 mins after waking. It just goes. 

FM

never have tried tea or coffee in my life, so no dramas there with that.  have no problem getting it moving in the morning either.

2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

If not normal, then yes, it's annoying. Me, I always emptied myself before a morning run, but also made sure there was a toilet about the 2km mark, cause I would always have to go again. From there on, urge free. I gave up trying to fight it, so just worked around it.

good pllan having a toilet sussed out, none of them here until i hit approx the 8km mark after sussing it out today.  

2 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Could have been anything your food has touched in the prior 24 hours or something you have picked up. If that's never happened before then it's nothing to be concerned about. 

Thanks for that, we are very conscious of the food here in our house and standards etc with our son being Coeliac,  have a run off the bike tomorrow so not anticipating any dramas there...especially after 5.5 hours of riding.

It's a condition thing, I use to have the same problem. The doctor told me it's when all the blood leaves your bowels and goes to your muscles, this releases your bowels and want to go to the toilet.

You just have to either go before you leave for your run and slowly condition your body so it doesn't happen. Can take some time for this to happen.

Hope you can get it sorted.

5 hours ago, NW55 said:

It's a condition thing, I use to have the same problem. The doctor told me it's when all the blood leaves your bowels and goes to your muscles, this releases your bowels and want to go to the toilet.

You just have to either go before you leave for your run and slowly condition your body so it doesn't happen. Can take some time for this to happen.

Hope you can get it sorted.

Thanks, yeah first time its happened, did go before i left so not sure, not too worried, 165km ride today and run off the bike, no dramas at all.  another long run next saturday, will see how it goes, need to be confident ill be ok as Cairns IM is only 7 weeks away and i plan on wearing a 1 piece...seeing me trying to get out of it in a hurry is a comedy show.....

I have had this problem over the years a few times - in fact I always run with toilet paper - my Traditional Chinese Medicine doctor has told be it's because my body is too fatigued to hold it back - it usually shows up in the last few weeks of an IM build when I'm carrying most fatigue

She gives me acupuncture and herbs and can fix the problem in a couple of days - the good TCM practitioners know stuff that is hard to find out else ware :wink1:  

3 minutes ago, AP said:

I have had this problem over the years a few times - in fact I always run with toilet paper - my Traditional Chinese Medicine doctor has told be it's because my body is too fatigued to hold it back - it usually shows up in the last few weeks of an IM build when I'm carrying most fatigue

She gives me acupuncture and herbs and can fix the problem in a couple of days - the good TCM practitioners know stuff that is hard to find out else ware :wink1:  

But pooping's not a passive process...... is it?

I mean, your gut through peristalsis pushes the contents through your intestine.  The urge to go is an involuntary smooth muscle contraction.  Holding it back is a concious (and involuntary process.

So if you're too fatigued to clench, how isn't your gut too fatigued to push?

Although I guess as you get older, pooping does become a little less voluntary.  As do number ones. 

Shit problem. Never had this issue. Lucky I guess. 

Usually people just get the shits with me. 

1 hour ago, KieranR said:

Thanks, yeah first time its happened, did go before i left so not sure, not too worried, 165km ride today and run off the bike, no dramas at all.  another long run next saturday, will see how it goes, need to be confident ill be ok as Cairns IM is only 7 weeks away and i plan on wearing a 1 piece...seeing me trying to get out of it in a hurry is a comedy show.....

I wouldn't worry about Cairns. I've often had the issue with a long run in the morning. Never later in the day, and never after a ride. And more importantly, never in any of the couple hundred races I've done.

• Like 1

My first & best marathon was a 3 stopper.

Most of my half marathons have been at least 1 stop.

A lot of my longer training routes went via parks for taps and toilets for this reason.

Can Kim Jong just pop in and confirm he doesn't defecate? Probably why he holds all the IM records.

I get the urge every so often on mid to long runs.  Heck, don't hold it in just find a spot where nobody can see you and let it go.  Pull the strides up and you run so much easier.  I have developed a few "regular" spots.

I always have to plan my runs re where toilets are. Drives me bonkers and is a real impediment to early morning long runs for me. 

I have to follow a very strict plan on race weekends. I've had a couple of Deek / Radcliffe moments. Thankfully not as bad as this poor chap

6FCE4A06-4B13-4985-95E2-80079F56C3B6-907-000000B3F99C178E.jpeg

I've only really been running long for the past 12 months or so leading up to my first IM.

One golden rule I have learnt along the way especially running over half marathon distance

"Never trust a fart"

• Like 1

On 23/04/2017 at 3:49 PM, KieranR said:

It will be your first full so I wouldn't worry to much about speed of taking your Suit of. Unless your going for a Kona spot......

1 hour ago, Tryline said:

It will be your first full so I wouldn't worry to much about speed of taking your Suit of. Unless your going for a Kona spot......

I dont think the worry is about the speed of exiting the suit is for race time purposes.....more like getting it off before vesuvius!

• Like 1

If this type of things happens a bit, google leaky gut symptoms and see if that fits at all.  Had that up until a few years ago, saw a naturopath, handed over my body weight in money and got it all fixed up

On ‎22‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 6:17 PM, KieranR said:

never have tried tea or coffee in my life,

KieranR, I know that this is most likely by choice, but I still feel that this is one of the saddest things that I've ever read here in all of my years on Trannies...

loo stops whilst on a long run are normally part and parcel of a run, regardless of if you've been at home or not, as there's lots of giggling around in there, and any remnants will want to leave the scene. see if you can plan a route with more loo options.

Now where's my afternoon coffee?

On 4/24/2017 at 7:00 PM, The Turtle said:

I dont think the worry is about the speed of exiting the suit is for race time purposes.....more like getting it off before vesuvius!

correct

1 hour ago, AVAGO said:

KieranR, I know that this is most likely by choice, but I still feel that this is one of the saddest things that I've ever read here in all of my years on Trannies...

loo stops whilst on a long run are normally part and parcel of a run, regardless of if you've been at home or not, as there's lots of giggling around in there, and any remnants will want to leave the scene. see if you can plan a route with more loo options.

Now where's my afternoon coffee?

Growing up my parents were and still are heavy coffee drinkers, maybe the gross smell of coffee turned me off for life but I have just never felt the need to have one, i seem to get along just fine without it.  My wife has never had it either, so we get a few strange looks when visitiors request a coffee and we let them know they will need to go and buy one...

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, KieranR said:

Growing up my parents were and still are heavy coffee drinkers, maybe the gross smell of coffee turned me off for life but I have just never felt the need to have one, i seem to get along just fine without it.  My wife has never had it either, so we get a few strange looks when visitiors request a coffee and we let them know they will need to go and buy one...

:lol: 

I can sympathise, my wife and I are the same never ever tried coffee and dont have any in the house. Every now and then if we are having a party or something we will go out and buy a jar of Moccona in case anyone gets desperate. 

We both love a good cup of tea though. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, roxii said:

:lol: 

I can sympathise, my wife and I are the same never ever tried coffee and dont have any in the house. Every now and then if we are having a party or something we will go out and buy a jar of Moccona in case anyone gets desperate. 

We both love a good cup of tea though. 

We're the same. My wife and I both drink tea, but both the kids drink coffee. Not sure where they even got the taste from. At least that means there's usually some instant laying around for visitors though. 

I'm neither a tea or a coffee drinker, weaned myself off of hot chocolate a few years ago.  I don't have a problem with the smell of coffee though, but I do get funny comments from people that they can't believe I drink neither tea or coffee