Sign in to follow this  
oldschool69#2

All right you new it was coming Ride on Mowers..

Okay people, my turn for ride on question.  Are Husqvarna ride on's any good?  A place down here is advertising at the moment and they even have a zero turn 46 inch deck for under 5K, with a Briggs and Straton motor (surprised they didn't go a husqie motor)  My BIL on a block near us paid $4K for a masport ride on (non zero turn) when it was on special so I'm a bit suspicious

Ended up needing to use the Greenfield left as part of the sale.  32 inch cutting deck, on it's second motor as the originals came with a B&G motor and this one has a 15.5hp Honda under the hood, if the guage is to be believe 278 hours of use.  Seems to be going okay, blades do a very good job, just doesn't seem to have the umph to go backwards up the incline which I discovered when in a narrow gap between a shed and fence which necessitated some pushing back up the hill to be able to turn it around.  Once settled in might look at doing some tinkering around gearing or re-engining to get a bit more out of it before getting a new one. 

Old School, was chatting to the neighbour and he warned me the inbuilt drivers tend to expire just past the 16 year age mark.  Seems once the lure of a licence comes into effect, the effectiveness of those drivers wears off very quickly.  My 10 year old is keen as mustard to do it though, and failing that his cousins aged 16, 13 and 9 are all lining up to do it as well after Saturday afternoon laps in the front yard on the weekend.

• Haha 1

On 10/27/2017 at 5:29 PM, oldschool69#2 said:

I've got know idea mate maybe ring a mower shop and get some feed back .

mine came with a built in driver...

IMG_0024.JPG

Lucky you're not in Samford.

Someone posted on the community FB page that they saw a couple kids about 8yrs old mowing the lawn on a ride-on, so they stopped to tell them how dangerous it was. She was disgusted that as soon as she started to drive away, the kids got back on the mower and continued. She eventually deleted the post after about 50 respondents told her to mind her own business & go & bubble-wrap her own kids if she felt so strongly about it.

It was one of the most entertaining posts I've seen in a while on there now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Cottoneyes said:

, just doesn't seem to have the umph to go backwards up the incline which I discovered when in a narrow gap between a shed and fence which necessitated some pushing back up the hill to be able to turn it around. 

Is it oomph or tyre grip?

Mine will go up inclines forwards much better than backwards as backwards the wheels will spin more easily. Weight distribution perhaps changing grip.

22 hours ago, Cottoneyes said:

blades do a very good job,

I'm thinking I need to be able to start changing my own blades as they get a bit of a hammering and it's a bit pricey for the service guy to make home visits for small stuff like that but accessing them is tricky.

What do others do? I was thinking of car ramps to raise the front end of the mower up so I could access under the cutting deck. Getting up/down from the ground is a bit awkward for me - when on the ground I need to remove my leg.

I don't know what mower you have, but I reckon most of them have a mowing deck that can be removed. Mine does, as I had to replace belts once and had to pull the deck out to do it. Maybe if you remove the deck you can just flip it over?

15 hours ago, Alex Simmons said:

Is it oomph or tyre grip?

Mine will go up inclines forwards much better than backwards as backwards the wheels will spin more easily. Weight distribution perhaps changing grip.

oomph, no tyre spin what so ever.  Have thought about this and might move my weight onto the back of the seat to see if the extra weight over the actual wheels makes any difference.  Failing that could be a sign of a clutch or something else on the drive chain on the way out

Re the blade change, tipping is the most common way, have seen various methods all ranging in different OH&S freak outs.  Tipping to the side is generally easier, comes down to where the oil / petrol is located on the engines to avoid spillage.  I've got a good retaining wall which will make it easy to do without having to get down on the ground to get under, drive it next to the wall, chock up the 2 side wheels and work on it while standing up, pavers on the wall allow a good bench for the tools to sit on without losing them in the dirt or grass

Mine has twin petrol tanks, one on each side of the mower. There's no way I could tip it, way too big/heavy for that. Maybe a car jack and stands or blocks and some rear wheel chocks. Think I'll just find some car service ramps, probably a bit easier that way I can just drive it up and down.

Found the oomph problem, started to cut under load and it cut out on me.  Didn't seem right so started to look and found the fuel line had a small small kink in it at some stage.  Thought it wouldn't hurt to replace the fuel line, definitely the problem as no problems going up the same incline now and goes a bit better - obviously just getting enough fuel until a decent load was put to the engine

Now it appears after a bit of use I've got some sort of electrical problem to look at this weekend and a bit of oil sprayed around the engine, so some sort of seal needs some replacing.  Alex's question already has me thinking of building a ramp in the garage for the mower, that can also be rigged for working on the bikes (push and motor varieties), think I'm going to need it to keep this mower going.  

I found some ramps. $50. Not flash but they are good enough for the job. Could use a bit of rubber under them for grip. So today got under the mower to check the blades as the cutting hasn't been too flash of late.

Old and new blade pics attached. Changed them over and voila, cutting like a dream again.

Already saved the $ on the ramps as the call out km fee for service is nearly $80.

Photo 21-11-17, 12 46 58 pm.jpg

Photo 21-11-17, 12 47 36 pm.jpg

Drove my John Deere ride-on for the first time on the weekend and it's a piece of shite and I will need a second mower for the front lawn!

Am going to import a Deutscher self-propelled walk-behind - made in Ballarat and they have just opened up an export market (of 1) to Ireland! Will go a treat next to the Hills Hoist on the Costa del Dublin.

• Like 1

After having 3 "experts" look at my mower, I gave up and called the local guy.  He picked it up yesterday and hope to have it back before the weekend.  Just about a weekly job at the moment and getting a bit hot to do that much with the push mower

My neighbour rolled his John Deere on the weekend as well, learnt some new swear words which is always nice to know at 42 that skill set can still be increased.  He mentioned that diffs have a big problem on our blocks due to the hills, seems most diffs have little oil put in them as standard and they typically go around the 80 hours mark.  Said to make sure the diff is at least half full of oil.  He's done one John Deere one and had it go just before warranty was up, did a Husqvarna which is now a garden ornament as it went just out of warranty

Broke the whipper snipper head on the Ryobi, so got myself one of the newer heads that you just push the 6 inch thread into and it holds it.  My life is now complete, well will be once I buy the brushcutter attachment.  Chainsaw is the next garden toy to come

okay, to save asking this question in new thread will ask here.  After a chainsaw for small branches around the block and cutting some firewood.  Is a 16 inch bar big enough or do you other blockies think something bigger is called for?

16 should be fine. As long as you aren't intending bringing down large gumtrees & chopping them up for firewood.

Anything bigger gets cumbersome if you're just looking at branches etc.

• Like 1

Been doing some shopping on the chainsaws.  Really not impressed with the new Husqvarna range at the moment.  16 inch bar is so thin compared to other brands and the chain on them sold is very pathetic, really think they are only meant for cutting small branches.  The guy in the shop said for firewood needed to go to 20 inch blade which then doubled the budget for the saw and put the weight up over 6kg

Looking at a few other brands this weekend, but thinking a Stihl Mini Boss is going to be the winner

3 hours ago, Cottoneyes said:

Looking at a few other brands this weekend, but thinking a Stihl Mini Boss is going to be the winner

That's the one I have. I don't use it a lot at the moment but it seems a pretty robust little unit. As I recover my health and leg heals, I hope to be using my kit a bit more as there are a variety of jobs to do.

I’m no wood chopper but got this one when we moved down. been out a couple times to get firewood and it goes all right haven’t had any issues yet.

A60F6D19-FCF4-4B80-ADE9-741E30C6E33F.jpeg

That's the one the guy was trying to sell me Oldschool, it should do you well but was about 6 steps up from what I was thinking I needed (and double the price).  It did look like a good one but I thought the Stihl range would be a bit better for the prices.

Ended up getting the Wood Boss Stihl 231 this morning, was going to get the mini boss but the sales guy was very keen to sell at discounted prices so took the savings and moved up a model.  Already been out and gone through a number of logs the previous owner left lying around, goes very well.  Think if I do end up doing alot of my own firewood collection and need a bigger blade, will go back for another one with a 20 inch blade.  This one is very easy to use and quite light as far as they go, did okay with some decent size logs, only had a one that needed to be rolled to cut right through.  This one will do me well when I go 4WDing with it's size

Now after Two Bays is out of the way tomorrow, got a heap of blocks to do the upper body strength sessions with the block splitter before moving onto cleaning up a few dead trees around the boundary.  Should have about two-thirds full wood shed then

• Like 1

Yer mate it was s but of coin , my new neighbour went through them with me , his son was a tree lopper so I just went with what they said .

next thing is a hydraulic log splitter! 

I already have my flanno, boots and gloves... 😂😂😂

6 minutes ago, oldschool69#2 said:

next thing is a hydraulic log splitter

Be a man and do it by hand. Think of the strength training.

I'd be interested to see where it stands activity wise, I'd place it right up there with a boxing session for cardio and strength work