Sign in to follow this  
oldschool69#2

All right you new it was coming Ride on Mowers..

oldschool69#2    131

So can I have thoughts on the Gravely ride on mower zero turn circle with the kawasaki motor. .. I can purchase a second hand one with 140hrs on it does any body have an idea on it as I have NFI...lol

Ironpo ? You cut grass dont you? And have a lawn mowing business. ..haha

• Like 1

Ex-Hasbeen    3,802

I personally haven't used a zero-turn, though most people in our neighbourhood are using Hustler zero-turns and say they're the duck's nuts. The guy behind me bought a zero-turn with a steering wheel rather than bar steering. It also handles the slope he has up to the house pad better than a standard mower.

My only suggestion to you is to decide on the property and what you want to do with it first, then the mower. My 1.5 acres of grass suited a large zero-turn when I first built & moved in. It now suits a small zero-turn. It will soon suit the 42in tractor style I bought, because I'm down to about 3/4 of an acre of grass, and even that is shrinking.

• Like 1

oldschool69#2    131

We got close to 2 acres to mow I guess .

He wants 5k for it ive Google them on e bay etc it does seem a good price other ones on there are selling for 6 _8k second hand with 2000 odd hrs on them.

Its got all the safety measures in place etc 

Ex-Hasbeen    3,802

If I had 2 acres I'd go zero turn for sure. They do a much better job on a large area than a tractor style, and generally much quicker. For that size lawn, don't get one of the small ones (I see Gravely do a 32in). I'd go 48in minimum, especially if it's just 1 big area.

Check availability of parts in your area. You don't want to be waiting a month in summer for a repair.

• Like 1

Alex Simmons    518

I thought about 2nd hand but I decided best thing was for an expert that sold various types of mowers to come and visit my property to give me advice on the right mower for the cutting jobs I have, and also my issues given prosthetic limb means foot controls are no good for me. I ended up buying a zero turn mower with 42" cutting deck. It's solid bit of kit and is more stable on the sloping terrain I have than the tractor style models. Also the service centre is just 15-min away.

I put a bracket on it the other day and can now also tow around a small tip trailer I bought from Bunnings which is handy for moving stuff around when using a wheelbarrow is a bit hard.

I have 12 acre block but only mow ~2 acres of that. There's about another 2 acres I could possibly mow but CBA, A tractor slash job once or twice a year will do I think.

Over time I'd like to transform the 2 acres into nicer grass but that's some way off and need advice on how!

• Like 1

oldschool69#2    131

Cheers yep it is a 48 ,EX 

And his got the trailer thing for it as well 

I think fir the price and convenience of it being there ready to go ill take it.

His lawns /my lawns haha do look good so I guess his into it .

skel    224

Nothing to add, but super jealous.  My ultimate goal is to have a house that has grass!!!!!!! 

• Like 1

Ex-Hasbeen    3,802
10 hours ago, Alex Simmons said:

Over time I'd like to transform the 2 acres into nicer grass but that's some way off and need advice on how!

If it was reasonable pasture before they split it, then just keep mowing it. I laid turf around our house, where we cut & filled, but the rest I just started mowing. At first it was a slasher (think 2 to 3 feet high), then the ride-on at highest level (and raking up to let the grass grow under the cut stuff), then gradually brought the level down. If it's bumpy, throw some dirt out and level with a bobcat. 

Most of our estate now looks like really good lawns (other than my nearly bushland setting), and it's just from regular mowing. A few sections of mine that had couch are now spreading to take over some of the pasture grass too, so it's looking even better.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

goughy    2,000

We're all on acre lots here. Old dude down the street turfed his entire block! Even doing the footpath/nature strip.

Ex-Hasbeen    3,802

Yeah, one guy across the road with way too much money has turfed most of his. At least he did it himself. I remember seeing a 3acre lot with a mansion on it at Carseldine get topsoil spread, then the pro's move in and turf the lot. I suppose for him it was no more of a shot to the wallet than me turfing 200sqm around the house.

Cottoneyes    752
13 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

If it was reasonable pasture before they split it, then just keep mowing it.

Mostly, get a good look at it for any weeds that might be in and look at getting some spray for it.  Most regional rural supply places should have someone with enough knowledge to be able to advise you on what you need to spray (if they try to sell you anything with glyphosate as the primary ingredient, then look elsewhere).  You may need a chemical licence for some sprays, but they should also be able to point you in the direction of a contractor to apply it which will save you the worry of handling it, getting a licence and buying the equipment.  In fact if you are unsure on what you are doing, get a professional in to ensure you don't kill your neighbours orchard with drift

Alex Simmons    518

Thanks for comments. I can mow OK although it's bumpy, we get quite a lot of small ant mounts and terrain is mostly gentle to moderate slopes. No orchards nearby, just cow pasture in the paddock below us and bushland which is what makes up most of my block. Plenty of weeds, I've no idea what they are apart from the thistles.

No way I'll be paying to turf, perhaps one day the sections of grass immediately surrounding the house but not the wider grounds.

Edited by Alex Simmons

FatPom    2,217

Ask Dalai if you can stick a blade on the front of his new motor, you'll get it cut real quick. B)

goughy    2,000
10 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Hope you can see this one OldSchool.

https://www.facebook.com/techinsider/videos/743959835802375/

Ain't no roomba if it's not automatic.  Remote controlled would be a bit boring really.... I'll stick with my ride-on.

• Like 1

Alex Simmons    518

Yeah the only time you might want to use that is for tricky mowing locations but otherwise I think such mowers will need self driving car tech (which is not yet there) to become safely useable.

Ex-Hasbeen    3,802
1 hour ago, Alex Simmons said:

Yeah the only time you might want to use that is for tricky mowing locations but otherwise I think such mowers will need self driving car tech (which is not yet there) to become safely useable.

Agreed. I suppose a whiz kid could rig up an auto program to work off a few beacons in their yard.

Alex Simmons    518

It'd still need to detect potential hazards and safety protocols to avoid running over things it shouldn't.

Ex-Hasbeen    3,802
31 minutes ago, Alex Simmons said:

It'd still need to detect potential hazards and safety protocols to avoid running over things it shouldn't.

Only if you were selling them. :)

I know, I know, duty of care etc. 

oldschool69#2    131

Here is part of the new plot. its an old photo From 2015 I found on the net.

The grass on the top right section is now looking really good the guy has looked after it .all the grass is unreal the whole acreage is clean grass .

Cant wait to get down there and embrace the new chapter of life and mowing...lol

26477100_1.jpeg

• Like 2

Ex-Hasbeen    3,802

Great looking place. IP will have you installing an endless pool jet in the pool you've got there, & you'll have the perfect training set-up.

I remember when I was looking at a couple hundred acres here (2 acres flat, the rest up a mountain), all my mates were egging me on, wanting to set up a downhill site for "mates use". :)

• Like 2

IronmanFoz    635
4 hours ago, oldschool69#2 said:

Here is part of the new plot. its an old photo From 2015 I found on the net.

The grass on the top right section is now looking really good the guy has looked after it .all the grass is unreal the whole acreage is clean grass .

Cant wait to get down there and embrace the new chapter of life and mowing...lol

26477100_1.jpeg

Firstly.... zero turn mowers means when you get to one end you have to pick it up and turn it yourself :)

Is this in the Milton area....... I drive through often. Great place you have bought...looks unreal!

• Like 1

IronmanFoz    635

Very very nice:

I googled earth it and found it. You may need a bit of zero on your front lawn....its starting to encroach onto the road.

And I am guessing yours is the white mailbox not the orangey/pink one. :)

Edited by IronmanFoz

oldschool69#2    131

Ha not sure on letter box haha.

Yep 4k out from milton.

Hey I foz did you ever mtb with they guy that owns the local bike shop when your down that way? I once rode with him years ago and a guy from northern beaches that looks like your photo?