Peter

Ironman Texas 22/4 still can enter

Peter    1,562

So this race is the American Championships and 7 days out you can still enter.

What the?

I wonder if any good athletes are doing this?

texas.jpg

Oompa Loompa    651

Oh.... and that's triathlons problem - cost.   It was an issue 5 years ago, nobody was listening,  5 years on, its paying the price with so many better value propositions out there from music festivals to marathons. 

ironpo    2,764
4 hours ago, Peter said:

So this race is the American Championships and 7 days out you can still enter.

What the?

I wonder if any good athletes are doing this?

texas.jpg

It must be a fast easy course , isn't this the race B@w has gone over to do

Peter    1,562

I've been bagging on they are too expensive. 

But its a shock its still open. Usually they close off 4 weeks out. 

GSP    209

Didn't it have problems the past few years with course and some inconsistency?  That may have something to do with it.

And Oomps, the point about costs I get, but comparisons with U2 and Red Hot Chilli pepper concerts??

• Like 1

Bored@work    1,439

i only picked it because it has a carbo & awards night. 

Youwhinging pricks are always complaining about IM cutting costs (Meal vouchers v awards nights) 

i'm supporting a race that's giving back to the athlete.

This is the first time the race has been held in April & they had a terrible storm last year.  Plus last year they had major flooding & had to cut the race short.  So I'm not surprised it hasn't sold out. It has sold out ever year since 2011 when we first looked at doing the race.  

Peter    1,562

I've heard the swim was short. 

Oh oh hang on that's next weeks post. 

Ironnerd    330
20 hours ago, Oompa Loompa said:

I'm old, but then so are the people doing Triathlon. 

$795 v $350.... or $550 from Nashville every day with U2 and the Chili Peppers....

Manchester, TN looks way better, both as an experience and value wise.......

https://www.bonnaroo.com/

IMG_3635.PNG

My daughter is off to the Nashville festival for the second year in a row. Even flights are relatively cheap.

Instead wasting money on flights and festivals she should be spending money on important things like bikes and IM entry fees. 

• Like 1

Oompa Loompa    651
14 hours ago, GSP said:

Didn't it have problems the past few years with course and some inconsistency?  That may have something to do with it.

And Oomps, the point about costs I get, but comparisons with U2 and Red Hot Chilli pepper concerts??

just if you're gunna spend.   ultimately everything is a memory. 

as a comparison, i rode a two day charity ride last week, $500 to reg, two nights accom,  meals and a jersey you had to wear.   You also had to raise a min of $500 as well to start.  heaps of ex triathletes in the packs that dont do triathlon anymore but wouldnt be riding a bike if it wasnt for triathlon.  

Oompa Loompa    651
30 minutes ago, Ironnerd said:

My daughter is off to the Nashville festival for the second year in a row. Even flights are relatively cheap.

Instead wasting money on flights and festivals she should be spending money on important things like bikes and IM entry fees. 

tell her to buy a house and stop spending. lol

Turts    1,938

Or $200 for 2 days of a motorbike gathering.

2 dinners, 2 breakfasts, 2 lunches (incl. one marginal bbq), day and a half of 40min test rides.  A couple of tech talks if you're going to pull the engine apart. Plus some cheap merchandise. 

Still pay for all your accommodation, drinks, etc. 

Goodie bag did have a hat, stubby holder, 3 keyrings, stickers, pens, branded leatherbound notebook and a t-shirt. 

Whatever floats your boat.  

Ironnerd    330
20 minutes ago, Oompa Loompa said:

tell her to buy a house and stop spending. lol

She is spending too much on smashed avocado to afford a house.:rolleyes:

GSP    209
19 minutes ago, The Turtle said:

Goodie bag did have a hat, stubby holder, 3 keyrings, stickers, pens, branded leatherbound notebook and a t-shirt. 

I want to get on this.

Turts    1,938
2 minutes ago, GSP said:

I want to get on this.

Get yerself on a Triumph then!  They're the best anyway.

Back OT.......  so what would be the thought process for anyone looking a few days out and going, "why the heck not, sign me up"!

AP    1,562
3 hours ago, The Turtle said:

Or $200 for 2 days of a motorbike gathering.

2 dinners, 2 breakfasts, 2 lunches (incl. one marginal bbq), day and a half of 40min test rides.  A couple of tech talks if you're going to pull the engine apart. Plus some cheap merchandise. 

Still pay for all your accommodation, drinks, etc. 

Whatever floats your boat.  

I think if you have a look around the patrons at the motorbike weekend and then look at the competitors at the next Ironman - what it does for a body make the triathlon lifestyle the better choice - so you get a few free meals - you'll probably be carrying them around on your hips for the next year - it's a lifestyle - this is a triathlon forum - most intelligent readers here are in for a lifestyle - not a free feed and a stubby cooler :huh:

• Like 1

FatPom    2,216

Wasn't IM Texas the ' on again/off again' race last year? Something to do with Woodlands Parkway (iirc). That could make folks more hesitant.

Turts    1,938
1 hour ago, AP said:

I think if you have a look around the patrons at the motorbike weekend and then look at the competitors at the next Ironman - what it does for a body make the triathlon lifestyle the better choice - so you get a few free meals - you'll probably be carrying them around on your hips for the next year - it's a lifestyle - this is a triathlon forum - most intelligent readers here are in for a lifestyle - not a free feed and a stubby cooler :huh:

Totally missed the point

(Now I'm on a computer I'll clarify.)

Folks were pointing out the relative value of IM versus other activities. I was talking about a recent motorcycle thing I went to.

1. Triathlon and motorbikes are not mutually exclusive.  

2. Don't diss motorbike riders.  If it weren't for them, your TO's would be walking.

3. The "free food" (even the marginal bbq) was far better quality than anything I have ever been served as a "free meal" at any of your triathlons- IM or other. 

4. There is plenty of whinging going on here when people don't get a cap or a water bottle in their race goody bag - so it's triathlon-related. 

5. Please quit the personal insinuations about my "lifestyle" and intelligence because mine also involves a motorbike. My lifestyle includes a range of activities. 

6. Motorbike riders are not all beer swilling fat gutted harley riders in a gang.  The keynote speaker, off-road ride leader, and all round great guy that gave me some awesome tips was Steve Martin.  Perhaps try expanding your horizons and google him.   Maybe a look at the physical involvement in riding some of the adventure bikes like a Triumph Tiger Explorer or Triumph Scrambler (the two I was testing). 

Yes it is a triathlon forum, but the second post in this thread started the value comparisons. 

Edited by The Turtle
clarification
  • Like 1

Oompa Loompa    651
3 hours ago, AP said:

Lol..... like the only way you can be healthy is to do triathlon...... piss funny. 

Anyway of to the hospital to get to get a knee and hip replacement. Lol

Bored@work    1,439
6 hours ago, FatPom said:

Wasn't IM Texas the ' on again/off again' race last year? Something to do with Woodlands Parkway (iirc). That could make folks more hesitant.

Yes.  They had problems last year. The floods just added to the mayhem.

Bored@work    1,439

I love the Ironman lifestyle.  We travel & see cities we never would have visited.  Next Saturday I'm racing my sixth Ironman with a buddy met in Cozumel in 2011.  

Sure I could have paid my house off & probably purchased another with the money we have spent.  But fk that.  My daughter is 12 & in a few years will be too cool to hang out with her old man.  We living life & making the most of it.

• Like 2

Peter    1,562
5 hours ago, Bored@work said:

I love the Ironman lifestyle.  We travel & see cities we never would have visited.  Next Saturday I'm racing my sixth Ironman with a buddy met in Cozumel in 2011.  

Sure I could have paid my house off & probably purchased another with the money we have spent.  But fk that.  My daughter is 12 & in a few years will be too cool to hang out with her old man.  We living life & making the most of it.

You are the exception to he usual. 

You do do travel and do races all over. 

Not the same race year in year out. 

You are doing it he right way. 

• Like 1