goughy

The finer things in life.....

5 hours ago, XCOM! said:

Obviously, your attitude to 'finer things' is very much dependant on your financial position at the time.

I've never been extravagant or purchased things 'for myself' but also never paid much attention to my day-to-day expenses.

However, I recently lost my long-time business partner, which has caused the collapse of the business, has taken everything I had with it, and left me with a mountain of personal debt.

At my age, it's going to be a very difficult position to come back from, and I am suddenly discovering how every cent counts when you find yourself on new-start, and how impossible it is to even survive on it. If it were not for family, I'd currently be sleeping on the street.

Wow mate that sounds tough. Don't be afraid to speak up here if you need a leg up. 

Good luck

• Like 6

On 23/04/2017 at 1:48 AM, XCOM! said:

Obviously, your attitude to 'finer things' is very much dependant on your financial position at the time.

I've never been extravagant or purchased things 'for myself' but also never paid much attention to my day-to-day expenses.

However, I recently lost my long-time business partner, which has caused the collapse of the business, has taken everything I had with it, and left me with a mountain of personal debt.

At my age, it's going to be a very difficult position to come back from, and I am suddenly discovering how every cent counts when you find yourself on new-start, and how impossible it is to even survive on it. If it were not for family, I'd currently be sleeping on the street.

That is a bummer and I've been involved in a similar situation about 25 years ago when the Partner of a Law Firm in the town where I worked topped himself and left the debt of the Firm - and shifted guarantees - to his Partners. They saw no way out either, but there was. They consolidated and asked for help. It was given and they managed to pull out of it.

Similar position happened when my ex took off and then demanded half the value of the property she contributed very, very little toward. Take stock of it, appreciate the situation, realise what matters (friends, family, roof, food ..... not necessarily in that order) and seek the help and support you will be given.

Every cent does matter, but don't forget the importance of the people who will help you recover.

• Like 2

On 2017-4-22 at 9:17 PM, Dalai said:

Not quite. Maybe the next one will be a Lotus...

Australian delivered 1984 911 Carrera

Drunk one night mid 80's ...  I wrote down 3 goals on a beer coaster.  Fridge with and ice maker, a hugo boss suit, and one of these beauties in white!!  
Congrats!!!

How does it handle? Tricky?

On 2017-4-23 at 10:48 AM, XCOM! said:

Tough times.  Good luck.  Seek help if it gets too tough.

Just now, Mjainoz said:

Fridge with and ice maker

Talk about dreaming big! :D

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Tyno said:

Talk about dreaming big! :D

Seemed out of my reach way back then.  And even when I have had enough coin, the bloody space in the kitchen has been too small!  I must talk to my thearpist about this ... :)  Or buy a Mcmansion

• Like 1

On 2017-4-21 at 10:25 PM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

No. It'll be a P76. I've got a 44 gallon drum if you want to test the boot. :)

Yeah but where are the wipers? 

Haha what a tank of a vehicle they were, I sold spare parts in a Leyland dealership once.

If I were ever going to be involved in a major fatality, I'd want to be in a P76 or a Toyota Crown. 

• Like 1

What I really can't get my head around is how a "Finer things in life" thread started discussing P76s.

• Like 1

I started the thread and that's when I stopped reading!

29 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

What I really can't get my head around is how a "Finer things in life" thread started discussing P76s.

can u hear me chuckling :)

The P76 was actually a much better car than is commonly given credit for, but encountered a perfect storm of bad-timing.

4 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Well, my Dad used to say a third class ride is better than a first class walk but I'm not so sure now. :lol:

14 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Maybe we all drive Datsun 80Ys still?

On 29/04/2017 at 10:16 PM, Mjainoz said:

Drunk one night mid 80's ...  I wrote down 3 goals on a beer coaster.  Fridge with and ice maker, a hugo boss suit, and one of these beauties in white!!  
Congrats!!!

How does it handle? Tricky?

Definitely a workout with no power steering or other driving aids, agricultural gearbox (915 model gearbox - I have already bought a Wevo shift kit to reduce the throw and make the shift more precise) and substantial bump steer in corners. Though as far as I've pushed it the car sticks nicely through the twisties!

The naturally aspirated model which the Carrera is thankfully is a little more docile in regards to oversteer compared to the turbo 930, but I'm still following the maxim to drive it more like a motorbike - a little slower into the corners and accelerate out.

Bit cliched, but driving it is a very visceral experience. The exhaust note and surge as it pulls out of a corner is sublime! Plenty of modern cars will be much faster than this 33 year old car, but I know which car I'd rather drive and can't contain my smile behind the wheel.

Drove a 300km circuit Sunday, taking the most twisting roads I could through Silvan, Healseville, Toolangi, Kinglake, Glenburn, Strath Creek, Broadford, Whittlesea, Hurstbridge and Warrandyte. I have already clocked up close to 1000km having only driven it four times since getting the club permit plates!

• Like 3

Well my wife turned 40 yesterday. So we went to Hestons Restaurant. 

It was a pretty amazing experience. 

Cost a bomb. (Return ticket to LA). 

Shes a massive foodie. I really enjoyed it. 

10/10. 

But certainly under the heading, 'finer things in life'. 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Peter said:

Well my wife turned 40 yesterday. So we went to Hestons Restaurant. 

It was a pretty amazing experience. 

Cost a bomb. (Return ticket to LA).

Bet it still came out the other end the same colour as usual. :wink1:

4 minutes ago, The Customer said:

Nup,,,, deconstructed!! 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, The Customer said:

Na, he is full of shit. 

• Like 1

One day Imma import an EJ wagon to Hokkaido and cruise around the country roads through farm fields in it, being the only mofo cruising around Japan in an EJ Holden. 

One fine day. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Niseko said:

One day Imma import an EJ wagon to Hokkaido and cruise around the country roads through farm fields in it, being the only mofo cruising around Japan in an EJ Holden. 

One fine day. 

I'll help you find the EJ if you help me find a two door RHD Datsun 1600 as these never came into Australia. Sold in Japan as the Nissan Bluebird 510 with options as a two door sedan and a two door coupe...

IMG_8409.jpg

• Like 1

I'll ask around for you. Have some friends in the game. 

Edited by Niseko
  • Like 1

I used to stay in the city after work on a Friday night and have a few drinks.. Drinking in Perth bars isn't cheap... I'd end up catching a cab home, leaving my car overnight, cab to collect it the next day... easily a $200 night out.

Nowadays I drive home via Dan Murphys, buy a $50-$60 bottle of French champagne and enjoy it in my pjs in front of the tv!!

What did I start!  This post came after I bought red capsicum instead of green (cause red is like $2 dearer) and some dutch spiced gouda instead of homebrand cheese slices for my lunch.

I need to get a life!

• Like 2