Jump to content
goughy

The finer things in life.....

Recommended Posts

Merv    126

Precisely. Some people will never be satisfied, no matter what they have.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rocket Salad    1,068
2 hours ago, Merv said:

Precisely. Some people will never be satisfied, no matter what they have.

Right now I have a vb in my hand. I'm satisfied.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rocket Salad    1,068
1 hour ago, Tyno said:

How did VB get into any "finer things in life" discussion?! :puke:

I'm not as rich as you guys. It's all I can afford. I feel sorry for the bloke on the next table. His drinking one of those new mango infused xxxx beers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
goughy    2,147

VB's sounding better every second!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bored@work    1,495

We are really lucky. ( luck + bloody hard work) to enjoy what I consider the finer things in life.

I pay for quality but hate getting ripped off.  For us it's all about balance & the experience.  

We are currently in Austin.  Yesterday we had brunch at a fancy country club, $160usd for 3ppl. Then for dinner we went to a dingy BBQ place in the homeless district of down town Austin.  Dinner for 3 ppl was $30usd

Both great venues & both worth the money. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MissJess    280

I'm having the same issue. I went shopping on Saturday, I was thinking of buying a Tiffany bracelet, just to treat myself (I do work hard), but could not bring myself to do it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Peter    1,611
On 17/04/2017 at 8:55 AM, Merv said:

Precisely. Some people will never be satisfied, no matter what they have.

So true. I deal with crazy rich people and they are less happy than those that have little. Usual scared what others think of them and also losing it. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cottoneyes    798
7 minutes ago, Peter said:

So true. I deal with crazy rich people and they are less happy than those that have little. Usual scared what others think of them and also losing it. 

 

Sometimes, have worked closely with some people that this does not deal with.  3 examples straight away: Owners of Bakers Delight (the company, not a franchise) are definitely wealthy beyond most people's minds, both of them didn't long for much and were definitely happy, you wouldn't think them as wealthy types if you ran into them in the street.  My current boss is worth at least half a billion, same thing, money doesn't define him and he is always very cheery.  I also worked for a Yank multi-billionare back in my ag days (he could have gone double or nothing with Kerry Packer on a flip of a coin and still come out richer whichever way it landed) and he also had a great attitude and came across very pleasant and happy going.  All 3 of them were / are great to work for.  None of them really went for status symbols or when they did kept it very private.   Think the attitude to money and what you have defines happiness regardless of your bank account more than your actual bank account balance.  

Just the people you tend to deal with Peter are probably trying to up their status symbols via their homes to keep up with the Jones, with I dare to say a good portion of them going into financial stress to do so.  

I've also had a theory for a while it seems to be "senior employees" more than business owners or contractors with a sense of entitlement that seem to have the attitude you describe with a real disconnect between what they actually provide to what they are worth.  Only a theory but I'll put it out there to see if it gets shot down or agreed with

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ex-Hasbeen    3,874
On 4/18/2017 at 9:49 AM, MissJess said:

I'm having the same issue. I went shopping on Saturday, I was thinking of buying a Tiffany bracelet, just to treat myself (I do work hard), but could not bring myself to do it. 

I went ridiculous for our 25th anniversary this year and bought a large Tiffany locket. It looks absolutely beautiful, but it's probably getting up toward what you'd pay for a gold one. I figured she normally wears gold, and you only have 1 Silver Anniversary, so splurged. She loves it, and the look on some of her "uppity" friends' faces when they ask & she says it's Tiffany makes it all the better. We normally don't do "labels" when deciding what to buy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FatPom    2,321
3 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I went ridiculous for our 25th anniversary this year and bought a large Tiffany locket. It looks absolutely beautiful, but it's probably getting up toward what you'd pay for a gold one. I figured she normally wears gold, and you only have 1 Silver Anniversary, so splurged. She loves it, and the look on some of her "uppity" friends' faces when they ask & she says it's Tiffany makes it all the better. We normally don't do "labels" when deciding what to buy.

When it comes to Tiffany's, bin the jewellery and buy a few of the bags. B)

Edited by FatPom
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FatPom    2,321

Dalai, you don't owe anyone an explanation.  Glad to hear you are doing some of your goals.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
trinube    1,107
2 hours ago, FatPom said:

Dalai, you don't owe anyone an explanation.  Glad to hear you are doing some of your goals.

But Dalai don't be cruel, you can't leave us hanging - what did you get???  Lotus seven maybe??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GSP    209

Knowing how Dalai rides, it is likely to be a Lamborghini or Ferrari.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ex-Hasbeen    3,874
1 hour ago, FatPom said:

Leyland P45?  Gotta be a classic by now doesn't it?:D

No. It'll be a P76. I've got a 44 gallon drum if you want to test the boot. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FatPom    2,321
15 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

No. It'll be a P76. I've got a 44 gallon drum if you want to test the boot. :)

haha, I knew it was something like that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dalai    128
On 21/04/2017 at 7:20 PM, trinube said:

But Dalai don't be cruel, you can't leave us hanging - what did you get???  Lotus seven maybe??

Not quite. Maybe the next one will be a Lotus...

29lo1z5.jpg

Australian delivered 1984 911 Carrera

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XCOM!    170

Obviously, your attitude to 'finer things' is very much dependant on your financial position at the time.

I've never been extravagant or purchased things 'for myself' but also never paid much attention to my day-to-day expenses.

However, I recently lost my long-time business partner, which has caused the collapse of the business, has taken everything I had with it, and left me with a mountain of personal debt.

At my age, it's going to be a very difficult position to come back from, and I am suddenly discovering how every cent counts when you find yourself on new-start, and how impossible it is to even survive on it. If it were not for family, I'd currently be sleeping on the street.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×