FatPom

sleeved tri suit under wettie

FatPom    2,321

I'm looking for a tri suit and want one with sleeves (partly weather, partly TT duties).  I've never swam with a sleeved tri suit under a wettie before, in fact my old wettie was sleeveless and I've just got a new sleeved one.  Been reading accounts of how restrctive this combo can be and most folks roll the tri suit down under the wettie. 

Does anyone have experience with this?

RunBrettRun    1,363

Nope never had an issue.  Been racing in wettie/sleeved tri suit and speed suit+sleeved tri suit for past 4 years.

JeffS    51

I've used sleeved trisuit under wettie for past couple of years, never had an issue. I tried rolling it down first time but found it hard to get on while wet, I'm sure with practice I'd get better at it but prefer just to have it on properly under the wettie. I don't even notice I have it on. I guess as with the wettie as long as the tri suit fits well and is on properly you shouldn't notice it. 

ironpo    2,839

Is the swim salt water FP 

how long will the swim take ?

personally i think if you get a good quality and well fitted tri suit as well as a well fitted wet tie , use lots of lube (silca 15 is by far the best) u should be fine

just do a test run or two 

I reckon putting on even half the trisut. Wet is a pain in the bum u don't really need on T1

one other option which I use in UM is just swim nude under the wettie and put your nice dry trisuit on in T1 , it's surprisingly very easy to put on with a few practice runs done to work out the best way to do it 

Andrew #1    838

Should actually be easier to swim with a properly fittest sleeved trisuit under a properly fitted sleeved wetsuit. Far less rashes. Easier to get on and off. Just like surfing with a rashy under a steamer.

anyway - I've had no problems over the past 3-4 years. Swum with a sleeved tri suit sans wetsuit, with a fully sleeved wettie and also a sleeveless wetsuit. All were very comfortable experiences.

Edited by Andrew #1

FatPom    2,321

Thanks all.

IP, it will be a mix of sea and freshwater swims this year but my two 'A' events are saltwater and IM distance, which will hopefully be somewhere approx 90 min (I know, I know:whistling: ).

Edited by FatPom

ironpo    2,839
5 hours ago, FatPom said:

Thanks all.

IP, it will be a mix of sea and freshwater swims this year but my two 'A' events are saltwater and IM distance, which will hopefully be somewhere approx 90 min (I know, I know:whistling: ).

I'd just get the best fitted wettie and suit u can and then just do a few test swims 

if it rubs just put it on dry in T1  , but I reckon u will be fine with it on 

FatPom    2,321
8 minutes ago, ironpo said:

I'd just get the best fitted wettie and suit u can and then just do a few test swims 

if it rubs just put it on dry in T1  , but I reckon u will be fine with it on 

Cheers. I already have the wetsuit ( tried in an Endless Pool, the mirror on the floor freaked me out:lol: ). Just on the prowl now for the tri suit.

ironpo    2,839
1 hour ago, FatPom said:

Cheers. I already have the wetsuit ( tried in an Endless Pool, the mirror on the floor freaked me out:lol: ). Just on the prowl now for the tri suit.

Lol

ypu should swim in the nude with the mirror on the floor

very scary and not for the faint hearted 

• Like 2

IronmanFoz    664
1 hour ago, ironpo said:

Lol

ypu should swim in the nude with the mirror on the floor

very scary and not for the faint hearted 

Shrinkage will scare the crap out of anyone! ;)

Rob    68

I have two long sleeved tri outfits, a Ventou two piece and a Scody one piece. I've done numerous tris in both without any issues in the swim. First few times I left the zip undone at the front to give me more maneuverability in the shoulders. But then I didn't bother and swam with it zipped up and found no problems.

Ironically the last time I wore the long sleeved one piece (in a Sprint Distance) I felt really constricted through the chest area on the run. Maybe it was just because I was having a really shit run. I switched back to the 2 piece for my next race.

FatPom    2,321

I've got a new tri suit and despite trying it on in the shop, I'm not convinced it's a good fit. 

It's a 2XU something or other, this one I think 

https://www.triuk.com/products/2xu/2xu-x-vent-full-zip-trisuit-ss17#.WSg_JWcktIY 

I haven't done any exercise in it yet but when I wear it, it feels good in the chest, slightly wrinkly in the sleeves and not as tight in the legs as my cycling bibs, I tried a size smaller and it was too tight.

It's ages since I've had a tri suit, do you go for a mega tight fit? I'm considering returning (still have the tags/receipt ) and getting something else instead.

ironpo    2,839

Doesn't sound like a good fit to me

id be taking it back and looking at other options seeing it's something that has to be worn for a fair few hrs

it should be tight in legs and lower arms but not so tight it's restricted your breathing etc

google 17hrs clothing from oz

they have some great new gen tri suits out that Re the bees knees and not crazy pricing

the new stuff is like a full length zipp  top with sleeves  sown to a pair of bike Knicks 

the advatage of this set up is that u can fully un zipp the front to stay cool and it's also so freaking easy to get on and off in the case of toilet stops 

so bloody comfy also

ironpo    2,839

My LG suit that u helped me with was the same but no pockets in rear

FatPom    2,321

Thanks IP, yeah that full length zipper idea is great.  I think my issue was that I tried it on at the end of a long day at the shop when picking up the new bike and doing adjustments etc. Should have tried it on first thing and not when I was all shopped out B)

I can exchange or get a shop credit, can't refund.  The only other brands they have are sleeveless or they have the Castelli Free San Remo but even in XL, that thing nearly castrated me!

I will do some proper measuring of thighs, chest etc and see what's available. It's a bit awkward to get to some of the shops from where I live, so I usually combine a trip to the tri shop when visiting Somerset. Trouble is I'm running out of time, first hit out race is June 25th, eek!

• Like 1

FatPom    2,321
On 4/11/2017 at 11:23 AM, ironpo said:

Ione other option which I use in UM is just swim nude under the wettie and put your nice dry trisuit on in T1 , it's surprisingly very easy to put on with a few practice runs done to work out the best way to do it 

Missed this bit before.  I don't think nude will work, there is a 1.2km run from swim exit to T1 and done without the wettie on. Probably not what the crowds want to see early in the morning :lol:

Andrew #1    838

Send Scody your measurements and they'll custom make a suit for you. Can order on their website

ironpo    2,839
3 hours ago, FatPom said:

Missed this bit before.  I don't think nude will work, there is a 1.2km run from swim exit to T1 and done without the wettie on. Probably not what the crowds want to see early in the morning :lol:

lol

zed    771
3 hours ago, FatPom said:

especially if the water's cold..

• Like 1

FatPom    2,321
35 minutes ago, zed said:

especially if the water's cold..

Free magnifying glass with every cowbell :)

• Like 1

Ex-Hasbeen    3,874
4 hours ago, ironpo said:

the new stuff is like a full length zipp  top with sleeves  sown to a pair of bike Knicks 

the advatage of this set up is that u can fully un zipp the front to stay cool

Not in Qld you can't. :)

• Like 1

Rimmer    354

Hey FP, I would also try DeSoto from the US. I still have a suit that I am using from 2003 and a couple of others. Some of their gear is pretty garish in colour, but it fits great and lasts.

FatPom    2,321
4 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

Hey FP, I would also try DeSoto from the US. I still have a suit that I am using from 2003 and a couple of others. Some of their gear is pretty garish in colour, but it fits great and lasts.

Cheers mate.  I've ordered the Orca 226 from Sigma, should be here today, so I'll do the comparos with the 2XU and see.

Flanman    1,112

A bit left field Ian. "Les" from Transitions is heading over there for a visit with family but is doing the sprint distance in Cardiff on 25 June. He is starting back the long journey to TRIs after injuring his knee a few years ago after IMOZ.

FM 

Edited by Flanman