IronmanFoz

World record - One for the sleuths - the 80's/90's

I friend of mine who some of the older folks may know - Andrew "Nobby' Jordan. Who race with the BRATS back some time ago has suggested that he still holds a world record in that he has "the slowest ever run time for someone who went under 10:00 hours".

As some would know he and the Southwells were regularly out of the water in the top 1-5 positions and he could ride like the wind..... usually in top 1-5 off the bike too.

Anyway, I still have many details to grab off him but he claims his slow run was 4:35 and he still went sub 10 hours (exact overall time coming).

Anyone know of a slower run time and still going sub 10?

Update:

Am told it was 1991 and his time were:

Swim 49m

Bike 4:45

Run 4:25.

He kona qualified on the above times. Whilst these times add to 9:59 - he said he did a 9:56 but his run was definitely 4:25.

Edited by IronmanFoz
  • Like 1

Nobby also held the world record for the worst diet for a competitive triathlete (in two legs at least). I'll never forget him smashing down pies, cakes, cokes and any other junk food he could get his hands on before Stephen Badger's squad sessions at Nth Sydney pool.

• Like 1

Fun facts. Nobby did get his run time down to 3:45 one year.

I trained with him in 2004/5 when he was making a comeback to IM after about a decade off. He was really focused on running under 3:30, unfortunetly he got stun by a bee about 70km into the bike and had an allergic reaction. Day was done. I don't think he did triathlon after that.

The funniest thing was his 'Nobby tuck' - putting one arm behind his back whilst in the TT position on the bike - like he was a distance speed skater ...

I reckon there would probably be a slower run time under 10 hours total time from adam conquest, luke bell, clayton fetell, luke mckenzie, or one of those types. i'd look at austria, roth, ironman florida, ironman WA, texas  or the ones with quick bike times, someone who has swam 50 and rode 4:15-20 will have an entry with a really slow run,

I actually thought he had the dubious honour of recording a run time slower than his bike time- and still qualifying for Hawaii- in 1992. Maybe he was just getting close.....

Pretty sure he rode 4.40 in '92.