zed

New Fenix 5

Bought this last week as an upgrade to the 920XT. Actually my 920 died and was replaced by Garmin so I just sold the new replacement, if it hadn't of died I probably would have kept it. First impressions, really nice watch, feels a bit more prestigious than the Forerunner, but not cheap at $700. The metal bezel and buttons give it a good solid feel and the extra weight isn't noticeable.  Actually when in the shop I tinkered with the 735 which felt very lightweight and plasticky in comparison and the 935 is even lighter. Looks good as an everyday watch, something you could wear out. I loved my 920, but not a good looking watch Navigating the F5 seems pretty intuitive, I'm still finding out about the various new features and haven't had a good play with it yet. The screen is nice and large and clear, it was easy to quickly glance at it when swimming open water to check time and pace. I'm used to the square face of the 910 and 920, but the circular face of the F5 works well, even with 4 fields. There are a few cool features such as music control, but I can't see enough to warrant an upgrade from a 920/F3. The battery life is excellent. I bought it Thursday and have yet to charge it, 42% and that's after 1 x 2km OWS, 1 x 3km pool swim, 100km ride, 7km run, 12km treadmill run and a shitload of mucking about with it. One thing I noticed on my 7km run was my instant pace was jumping about a bit, mostly sitting consistently on 4.15, but then I would look down and it's at 6.30, then 5.30, then it would settle down to 4.15 again. My 920 never had this issue. Heart rate monitor seems relatively accurate, I haven't had a chance to look at the Garmin data yet, but every time I checked it on ride and run, it was reporting back roughly what I expected it to. Doesn't work in the water, but I don't think it's supposed to is it? 

IMG_1976.JPG

IMG_1987.JPG

IMG_1988.JPG

IMG_1989.JPG

The 'instant pace' thing has been an issue with the newer watches for a while I believe.  With the F3, the way people fixed it was to use a footpod.  Also the instant pace was a problem for people doing short intervals (say 100's) as part of a workout.  In the F3's (and assuming the F5's) you can set your distance/laps etc to come from the gps, but pace from the footpod, which reacts much more quickly to subtle, or quick changes in pace.  This did work very well, but since I couldn't run anymore I couldn't justify keeping my footpod so gave it away in the pay-it-forward thread.

I believe the F3 was the first device where you could set a footpod up this way.  Other devices it was all from footpod or nothing.

Ah. Decisions. Decisions. Decisions.

I also think the current forerunner range looks plastic.

my wahoo kickr and 100% indoor cycling training plan lessens the immediate need to upgrade my xt910 - which is still hanging in there, despite threatening to die at any stage over the past three years. I only have outdoor running and 1 triathlon this season for the xt910 to survive.

right now I'm thinking of getting a cheap xt920 if one becomes available for triathlon and the limited outdoor cycling I do and then getting the Fenix when my current Ironman Timex runs out of batteries (which could be soon) to use as an everyday watch and swimming and running.

21 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

right now I'm thinking of getting a cheap xt920 if one becomes available for triathlon and the limited outdoor cycling I do and then getting the Fenix when my current Ironman Timex runs out of batteries (which could be soon) to use as an everyday watch and swimming and running.

You can get the 920XT with HR strap for around $270 AUS on Amazon at the moment.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ironnerd said:

You can get the 920XT with HR strap for around $270 AUS on Amazon at the moment.

Link?

I think you'll find that price is USD?

And it works great with my Stages PM. Both my previous 920s didn't work well with the Stages, which a lot of people have attributes to the Stages, not the Garmin? Who knows..

3 hours ago, pieman said:

Link?

I think you'll find that price is USD?

Nah they had a special on the other day for $220USD.

Black Friday sales might be the go, some good bargains on that day historically and gives them time to iron out the bugs in the 6 months from now until then.  That's my plan anyway

you can just call me you know Nealo... Pretty sure I could work something out!

9 hours ago, willie said:

you can just call me you know Nealo... Pretty sure I could work something out!

Yes mate will do before I pull the trigger, not going to bother you with just tyre kicking (read I haven't got permission yet :lol:)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, nealo said:

Yes mate will do before I pull the trigger, not going to bother you with just tyre kicking (read I haven't got permission yet :lol:)

Just borrow Roxii's :lol:

3 hours ago, nealo said:

U wait for permission? 

12 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

U wait for permission? 

Well you see there was this one time bought........................oh never mind. Yes I do.

I know I did this on my 920XT but can't work it out on my Fenix 5.

I want to change activities once I've started the first activity.

As an example I might be riding (laughable as I haven't ridden since I got off at Ironman 2015) and want to get off and go for a run.

Then have them either saved as one workout (preferable) or 2 separate workouts.

Another example would be running on the treadmill, then doing a gym session followed by going back to the treadmill.

Any ideas?

If it's the same as the F3, then it doesn't do that.  The 'quick change' of activities seems to have been kept for the tri watches.  But the Fenix series didn't get it, and I'm now guessing the F5 didn't either.  If you knew what you were planning in advance you could set up a multisport activity of bike/run and the lap button will change them.  I've been asking garmin for this function on the F3 for over 2 years now.  It is handy sometimes.

Beat me to it, and I was wrong!  They added it for you guys!! The pricks.  Gonna hit them up again for the F3 now.  We're still getting some firmware updates!

Yeah just tested it and works great, perfect for Garmin Connect but shit for Strava, breaks it up in to individual workouts.