Jump to content
zed

New Fenix 5

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, roxii said:

Looks like it would be a great little head unit for a tt setup 

Does most everything. 

3 lines, 2 pages. Uploads to garmin connect, smart notifications, mapping (but not with basemaps), connects to ant+ stuff. 

Just no basemaps or live strava stuff. And so small! 2/3 the size of my old 500

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just saw a deal on eBay for a fenix 3 HR Sapphire GPS for $367.  Is this a better watch than the 735xt?  I'd prefer not using a chest strap. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had this dilemma recently. I went with the 735xt

Smaller, does everything I need it to and a bit more.... Simple. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some find the wrist hr a bit slower to show changes, and some find it much less accurate when cycling. So they may still use a chest strap.

I don't know how much it improved with the newer devices. Regardless, 367 is a great price I reckon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, gerg said:

Just saw a deal on eBay for a fenix 3 HR Sapphire GPS for $367.  Is this a better watch than the 735xt?  I'd prefer not using a chest strap. 

Ray recommends the 735 over the Fenix 3. https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/06/garmin-forerunner-735xt-in-depth-review.html

Fenix 3 will be unsupported a lot quicker as it’s old but will do the job for triathlons.

Wrist optical heart rates are only good for heart rate measurements while sitting on the couch or for recreational users. Definitely use a heart rate strap if you are heart rate training / racing.  I have a 935 and Apple Watch 3 and use a heart rate strap with both, both wrist opticals suffer with heart rate lock and changes in wrist movements.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/11/2017 at 7:38 PM, skinnee said:

Ray recommends the 735 over the Fenix 3. https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/06/garmin-forerunner-735xt-in-depth-review.html

Fenix 3 will be unsupported a lot quicker as it’s old but will do the job for triathlons.

Wrist optical heart rates are only good for heart rate measurements while sitting on the couch or for recreational users. Definitely use a heart rate strap if you are heart rate training / racing.  I have a 935 and Apple Watch 3 and use a heart rate strap with both, both wrist opticals suffer with heart rate lock and changes in wrist movements.

 

Ditching the HR strap for running was one of my key drivers for looking at the 935. Yesterday i tested my wife's 235 HR my strap and a 910. Was reading 10bpm higher sitting on couch and regular drop out  (No matter how tight i had the strap done up).

Does anyone use the optical hr to actually guide efforts as it seems useless to me..  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, pieman said:

Ditching the HR strap for running was one of my key drivers for looking at the 935. Yesterday i tested my wife's 235 HR my strap and a 910. Was reading 10bpm higher sitting on couch and regular drop out  (No matter how tight i had the strap done up).

Does anyone use the optical hr to actually guide efforts as it seems useless to me..  

I found the optical to be useless for exercise, doesn't drop when recovery in a session

I'm using a Garmin Vibofit or something. I have it pick up the strap when in exercise mode

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've used mine, works pretty well for me, for steady state runs it hold a fairly constant number for HR,

For intervals I normally go by pace and feel more than HR but looking at the data after you can see its picking up the intervals, There was a drop out in the last interval and picked up the small rest when i accidentally stopped the treadmill in the cool down

Pace on the other hand was all over the shop - 5min intervals increasing each time -  recovery at 5min/km - on a treadmill no footpod

image.thumb.png.11e10af5d1ce77cec2fc66f884797e33.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Limited said:

I've used mine, works pretty well for me, for steady state runs it hold a fairly constant number for HR,

For intervals I normally go by pace and feel more than HR but looking at the data after you can see its picking up the intervals, There was a drop out in the last interval and picked up the small rest when i accidentally stopped the treadmill in the cool down

Pace on the other hand was all over the shop - 5min intervals increasing each time -  recovery at 5min/km - on a treadmill no footpod

image.thumb.png.11e10af5d1ce77cec2fc66f884797e33.png

Mine seems ok with HR too.

But pace on a tready is done by cadence (arm swing) and thestride length ypu inputted - so id say unreliable anyway. Who's stride length doesnt change? . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely use a chest strap if you are heart rate training,  I use the Garmin Tri with my 935 (SBR) or the Polar H10 with Apple Watch (gym workouts).   The Apple Watch does ok after a few minutes compared to the Garmin Tri strap for long slow runs, I have the nike version with the velcro band which is a lot better than the normal band.

Also the new Scosche Rhythm optical strap (the best of all optical HRM) is coming out, check out here https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/01/scosches-rhythm-24-optical-hr-sensor.html

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My optical heart rate monitor seems pretty good.  This is an example of an interval session with standing recovery - the longer drop off was when I stopped a bit longer for a quick chat with a friend.  

IMG_0161.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah some people it works ok with , DC Rainmaker acknowledges that it can work ok with some but not all unlike chest straps do.  

  I did some testing of the optical  vs polar h10 and Garmin tri and there was lag for me on intervals and most runs the optical took a few minutes to acquire my heart rate which isn't ideal coming off of a bike on a brick session for example.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cat Lady said:

My optical heart rate monitor seems pretty good.  This is an example of an interval session with standing recovery - the longer drop off was when I stopped a bit longer for a quick chat with a friend.  

IMG_0161.PNG

Yeah but are these HR accurate do you know?  It's all well and good it going up while running and down while resting but doesn't mean much if it's 10bpm high or low.. (acknowledging most people train to pace or power i do like hr as another metric)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pieman said:

Yeah but are these HR accurate do you know?  It's all well and good it going up while running and down while resting but doesn't mean much if it's 10bpm high or low.. (acknowledging most people train to pace or power i do like hr as another metric)

Not sure. But based off dc rainmaker he seems to think they are pretty close to normal hr bands. Have worn two different optical hr on each arm one day and they gave the same numbers 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pieman said:

Yeah but are these HR accurate do you know?  It's all well and good it going up while running and down while resting but doesn't mean much if it's 10bpm high or low.. (acknowledging most people train to pace or power i do like hr as another metric)

If its consistent, and u do ur testing with the same unit, does it matter?

Like some PMs reading higher than others. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Turts said:

If its consistent, and u do ur testing with the same unit, does it matter?

Like some PMs reading higher than others. 

If using the optical for base line and zones then maybe not but all your zones will probably be incorrect, eg using the optical i would be running 30 secs a km slower than i would based on my chest strap monitor.  So probably not getting the benefit that I'm targeting... so yeah i would think that matters.. 

Its like using one of those power meters that use the wind to estimate power after testing your zones etc with an srm..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, pieman said:

If using the optical for base line and zones then maybe not but all your zones will probably be incorrect, eg using the optical i would be running 30 secs a km slower than i would based on my chest strap monitor.  So probably not getting the benefit that I'm targeting... so yeah i would think that matters.. 

Its like using one of those power meters that use the wind to estimate power after testing your zones etc with an srm..

Well yeah, if u do ur testing and set ur zones with one piece of equipment, but train and monitor ur effort with another. 

Theres a difference between the power readings from my PM and my tacx trainer. But if u know it u can manage it. Doesnt mean ones useless. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Turts said:

If its consistent, and u do ur testing with the same unit, does it matter?

Like some PMs reading higher than others. 

This is my opinion also.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Turts said:

If its consistent, and u do ur testing with the same unit, does it matter?

Like some PMs reading higher than others. 

In theory maybe, but what if it's reading 15 bpm low. No matter what it says, I'm never going to think that 150 is a suitable HR to be doing intense efforts, so I'll be continually pushing too hard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

In theory maybe, but what if it's reading 15 bpm low. No matter what it says, I'm never going to think that 150 is a suitable HR to be doing intense efforts, so I'll be continually pushing too hard.

This is what I am getting at... its like weighing yourself on a dodgy scale... or being told you have high BP in hospital and then reducing your salt intake and buying a $35 monitor from priceline that all of a sudden says your BP is fine...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Wronggenes said:

How do you know the other one wasn’t reading high?

hmmmm, good point... in hospital they do clip an optical on your finger so maybe that is the most accurate...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

In theory maybe, but what if it's reading 15 bpm low. No matter what it says, I'm never going to think that 150 is a suitable HR to be doing intense efforts, so I'll be continually pushing too hard.

But ur problem is still using then 2 different metrics.

Ur throwing rpe into the mix and then throwing the hr zones out the window.

You have to recalibrate if so

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/01/2018 at 8:50 AM, pieman said:

Ditching the HR strap for running was one of my key drivers for looking at the 935. Yesterday i tested my wife's 235 HR my strap and a 910. Was reading 10bpm higher sitting on couch and regular drop out  (No matter how tight i had the strap done up).

Does anyone use the optical hr to actually guide efforts as it seems useless to me..  

Very hit and miss. I just had a quick look in Garmin Connect and a lot of my long, easy runs have similar av HRs, but some of the shorter stuff it's all over the place. Two 5km runs from duathlons below (one was 4.6km) 4 weeks apart. Readings from first race seem spot on, 2nd race, no way was my max HR 160. I have read that there are number of things that can affect the readings, loose watch, hair, sweat etc. 

Even if the average HR readings were spot on the instant HR is rarely accurate, constantly spiking,  jumping from 140s to 170s then back down to 140s and when you have an unreliable and inconsistent tool you eventually stop trusting it. I was going to get a strap HRM, but I kinda know my different HR zones, so probably won't bother. If there was a Fenix 5 without optical HRM, knowing what I know now, I would opt for that. For a lot of technology if it's not 99% reliable it's not worth using. 

 

Untitled.png

Edited by zed
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×