zed

New Fenix 5

You just got it as you finish glide into the wall.  Pretty easy really.

Not that I had to worry about it for 5sec breaks either.  10 X 50's I was always getting the late so really it was just a 500 TT for me.

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I'm still learning to use my 735.

For those that use a Garmin for pool swimming, do you press pause when you stop & start every rep? Seems difficult if you're doing a session that only has 5 sec breaks.

Never bother. I just leave it running and use the pool clock.

8 hours ago, FatPom said:

Really like my 935, except the scratch I've put on it :(

I got some of the protectors from here, got 2 x 2 packs of the anti glare ones (you might not need the anti glare feature.. ) landed in Aus for about $15... havent got any scratches yet and just about to replace the protector a sit is getting  a bit mucky.. (been on for 3 months) 

http://www.protectionfilms24.com/products/screen-protectors/article-selection.html?searchfield=forerunner+935

Just now, pieman said:

I got some of the protectors from here, got 2 x 2 packs of the anti glare ones (you might not need the anti glare feature.. ) landed in Aus for about $15... havent got any scratches yet and just about to replace the protector a sit is getting  a bit mucky.. (been on for 3 months) 

http://www.protectionfilms24.com/products/screen-protectors/article-selection.html?searchfield=forerunner+935

Cheers. I looked at the protectors before I scratched it but 935 specific ones weren’t in the UK and I could work out if the 735 was a different size. Some said yes, some said no.

Then I fell ass over head in Portugal!  I might see if a local jeweller can polish it out.

1 hour ago, FatPom said:

Never bother. I just leave it running and use the pool clock.

That's what I've done on the 2 pool swims I've done since I got it.

23 hours ago, pieman said:

I didn't think there were any touchscreen functions on the 935 but this protector says "Multitouch optimised" - what are they referring to?

image.png.50800212e688fb2f67dd9ccf99ed83a8.png

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

I didn't think there were any touchscreen functions on the 935 but this protector says "Multitouch optimised" - what are they referring to?

image.png.50800212e688fb2f67dd9ccf99ed83a8.png

No idea.. just googled and it always says

"anti fingerprint, multitouch optimized" so not sure if it means you can touch it multiple times without marking it... 

New Fenix 5 plus is out, with music storage, Garmin pay and maps on every model.  DCR has a review.

2 hours ago, goughy said:

New Fenix 5 plus is out, with music storage, Garmin pay and maps on every model.  DCR has a review.

Yeah saw that. DOes it come in 3 different sizes?

Check out the price - $1499 for the 5X+ Sapphire. Thats nuts.

• Sad 1

Yeah, they're getting pretty out of hand!

Ffs 

Crazy coin for a watch. 

Imagine losing it in an ows session.... LOL 

• Like 1

Extra $150 on top of what they were already... Everything tech is getting ridiculous these days. They're testing the market to see what our upper limit is... Something is only "worth" what we're willing to pay for it. 

• Like 2

wow that is dear!

Regarding my 935, I haven't really tested it over a long duration. The longest I've had it on GPS for is 4hr40 ride and starting from a 100% charge, I finished with 70% left.  I got to thinking, if I did 15hrs plus again at IM Wales, would it last?  I just have it on GPS, no power meter recording and a 3 screen ride mode with no scrolling and av 1km pace on the run.

To get the full life out of the battery you wanna turn everything off that you don't need, so backlight, any sensors (barometer etc), probably have to have Bluetooth of etc and nothing else connected.  Then it probably gets like 24 hours.

Edited by goughy

39 minutes ago, goughy said:

To get the full life out of the battery you wanna turn everything if that you don't need, so backlight, any sensors (barometer etc), probably have to have Bluetooth of etc and nothing else connected.  Then it probably gets like 24 hours.

Cheers mate. I will look at the settings.

10 hours ago, goughy said:

To get the full life out of the battery you wanna turn everything off that you don't need, so backlight, any sensors (barometer etc), probably have to have Bluetooth of etc and nothing else connected.  Then it probably gets like 24 hours.

I read this as... 

For the best battery life, just don't turn it on. 

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😁

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FFF1077 said:

I read this as... 

For the best battery life, just don't turn it on. 

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😁

Or you could train harder & finish the IM quicker, so the battery doesn't need to last as long. :)

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Or you could train harder & finish the IM quicker, so the battery doesn't need to last as long. :)

but all the marketing tells me i dont need to train, I just need to buy more gadets and they'll make up for it. you're so old school ex :P:lol: 

• Haha 1

On 19/06/2018 at 3:39 PM, zed said:

Check out the price - $1499 for the 5X+ Sapphire. Thats nuts.

I decided to buy new wheels for the same money. This way i will look flash, and not know i am going slow.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Hey guys-Johhny Appleseed have the Fenix 5x for $712! Just picked one up from their physical store but they are also available online. Cracking price!

Damn and now there is a new version (Fenix 5 +) with 2 diff PDS networks (up from 2) plus paywave and a 500 track music player :(

does that explain some of the recent "clearance" sales going on?

Yep, that's what most of the posts in this thread since Tuesday have been talking about!  Get with it TF :)

Exactly why they’re having sales. 735xt might be in the out as well ;)

5 hours ago, goughy said:

Yep, that's what most of the posts in this thread since Tuesday have been talking about!  Get with it TF :)

been busy - assesment time at work and uni + sick :(

Excuses excuses :)

1 hour ago, goughy said:

Excuses excuses :)

Viral bronchitis -> pleurisy  3 weeks off training - having a great time   😱 and the worlds are in 12 weeks ......

plus a have got no benefit yet out of my new fenix 5x (see that link back to topic :) )

Edited by trifun
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

My Fenix5 has now got the same problem my 920XT had, 2 buttons are sticking and not really working. It was a PITA last time, as I had to send it back and wait a month for it to be replaced.

Yes, that is a pain (sent my Fenix 2 to them 3 times), but at least they sort them out.  

This topic is very interesting. 

You'd expect that the hardware of such a piece of gear would be rock solid. 

11 minutes ago, FFF1077 said:

it is a bit of an issue because often the buttons on these things are not supposed to be used underwater... I remember one of the first watches i had as a triathlon watch said in the instructions not to press buttons while submerged...

same as the very common 910XT issue where its barometric altitude went wonky and this was put down to too much use in chlorine or salt water... anyone who has followed Winterfishes 2015-2018 can see that this wouldnt have been the cause in my case...

I think Garmin have a history of lasting 12-18 months and then people would usually just upgrade but nowadays when the initial spend is $1500 and not $300 this wont be acceptable to a lot of people, (and fair enough)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, FFF1077 said:

Yeah never had this problem with my old g-shock which was worn when I surfed, dived, windsurfed etc.

It's a shame Suunto have never really got their sh!t together with multisport watches, their dive watches are so well made, bullet proof.

Edited by zed
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, zed said:

Yeah never had this problem with my old G-string which was worn when I surfed, dived, windsurfed etc.

Fixed 😂😂😂👍

24 minutes ago, FFF1077 said:

Fixed 😂😂😂👍

haha

• Like 1

fingers crossed I may have fixed it with silicon spray.

• Like 2

Ahhh silicon spray, the Clayton's wd40.  The wd40 you spray where you can't spray wd40

38 minutes ago, goughy said:

Ahhh silicon spray, the Clayton's wd40.  The wd40 you spray where you can't spray wd40

well it was WD40 technically :)

82527.jpg

• Like 1

You have to love the "Intensity Minutes" feature in Garmin Connect. I haven't found anywhere an exact definition of "vigorous intensity" other than "can only speak a few words when exercising". I did a 25 minute session with an average HR of 151 yesterday, with the last 10 minutes averaging high 150's. I'm in my mid 50's. HTF do they classify that as "Moderate Intensity".

I'd like to get the engineer that came up with that one out for a session or two and see what he thinks moderate intensity should really be. :)

• Haha 1

I did nothing but walk last week, and I did 509 minutes of moderate activity, and I reckon I didn't even do 300 minutes last week!  It must be picking up some of my work time is something as activity....

• Like 1