zed

New Fenix 5

6 hours ago, roxii said:

Looks like it would be a great little head unit for a tt setup 

Does most everything. 

3 lines, 2 pages. Uploads to garmin connect, smart notifications, mapping (but not with basemaps), connects to ant+ stuff. 

Just no basemaps or live strava stuff. And so small! 2/3 the size of my old 500

Just saw a deal on eBay for a fenix 3 HR Sapphire GPS for $367.  Is this a better watch than the 735xt?  I'd prefer not using a chest strap. 

I had this dilemma recently. I went with the 735xt

Smaller, does everything I need it to and a bit more.... Simple. 

Some find the wrist hr a bit slower to show changes, and some find it much less accurate when cycling. So they may still use a chest strap.

I don't know how much it improved with the newer devices. Regardless, 367 is a great price I reckon.

5 hours ago, gerg said:

Just saw a deal on eBay for a fenix 3 HR Sapphire GPS for $367.  Is this a better watch than the 735xt?  I'd prefer not using a chest strap. 

Ray recommends the 735 over the Fenix 3. https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/06/garmin-forerunner-735xt-in-depth-review.html

Fenix 3 will be unsupported a lot quicker as it’s old but will do the job for triathlons.

Wrist optical heart rates are only good for heart rate measurements while sitting on the couch or for recreational users. Definitely use a heart rate strap if you are heart rate training / racing.  I have a 935 and Apple Watch 3 and use a heart rate strap with both, both wrist opticals suffer with heart rate lock and changes in wrist movements.