KieranR

IM Cairns 2017

A quick glance at the results shows very fast times and pretty deep fields for most age groupers. Top 10 on 35-39 all went sub 9h30. 

Just now, Rog said:

A quick glance at the results shows very fast times and pretty deep fields for most age groupers. Top 10 on 35-39 all went sub 9h30. 

Knowing a few of those guys it looks like a super fast day and possibly some of what was mentioned earlier on the bike.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, johan said:

hey - 11:23 for me. Incredible day. from 12:34 in IMNZ a few months ago to this. It all just came together yesterday but combination of a few things helped, great conditions (esp. vs IMNZ), new wheels and flatter run course. 

very happy today. Recognised a few on course and maybe 1 trannie cap? 

nice work everyone. 

Beers and burgers for me today. 

Well done mate. I knew you before IM and you've progressed so much. Great reward for great effort.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hey_burgs said:

Thanks trannys. It was a great day out, easily my best ever executed race, and biggest win. Totally thrilled. 

I hope everyone else had a great day. I hope we can share some drinks tonight!

Well done Burgs. Out of interest is there an average heart rate you try to maintain throughout each discipline? Just interested to know what a pro shoots for. I'm assuming you would have target power for the bike too.

• Like 1

On 2017-6-11 at 10:12 AM, Peter said:

Cam brown still racing. Gee. He needs to find something else to do. Total legend. But needs to walk away from ironman. Just stick to shorter dude. 

IMG_0497.PNG

He might think you should quit the sport until you are as fast as he is.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

Anyone got the roll down results handy?

I know M 40-44 went to at least 11th place, 9.41.

Swim was much like last year. Bike was probably faster with no rain and the wind was not too bad except the last 15km or so.  Wasn't too hot on the run, cools down a bit before 5pm, so good for most AGers. I think last year's times had more people targeting the race this year, at least that's what my analysis of  40-44 suggested.

2 hours ago, pieman said:

Front of the field where?  Pros or fast agers? 

Pros were clean as from what I saw, my frustrations came from seeing what was going on amongst the agers that should known better

• Like 2

I didn't think drafting was too bad. I went from 476th place to 195th so I had a good sample of the field. There was one group I passed later on where I almost felt the need to call them a bunch a funkin cheaters but instead I Just out the hammer down and hoped karma would sort them out, not a lot of TOs to rely on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kiwinoz said:

He might think you should quit the sport until you are as fast as he is.

He could but even I plan to retire from my job one day. 

25 minutes ago, Kiwinoz said:

not a lot of TOs to rely on.

They were waiting the the bushes for running with their zips down 

The Japanese guy in 55-59 did well - ~30mins behind Kevin Ferguson at the start of the run and put down a 3.17 to win the AG by a minute or so. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, truck said:

The Japanese guy in 55-59 did well - ~30mins behind Kevin Ferguson at the start of the run and put down a 3.17 to win the AG by a minute or so. 

faark!

2 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

Wholly shit!! Did he do all 3 laps?

I followed it a bit yesterday and he was nailing sub 5 min kms - looking at the results today for some bizarre reason they've converted everything to miles which just looks odd

2 hours ago, wombattri said:

Well done Burgs. Out of interest is there an average heart rate you try to maintain throughout each discipline? Just interested to know what a pro shoots for. I'm assuming you would have target power for the bike too.

I don't use heart rate when racing sorry, no time to look at that! If I guessed, it would have been perhaps 155-60ish most of the way. My power on the bike was 259np, which I was really happy with. It's a number not so much I've been training to, because if I'm training to that power I'm going too easy (we can't simulate IM fatigue all the time, it's just not possible), but it is something I can't see going much higher for IM distance. Maybe another 6-8w or so, but probably no more. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Peter said:

He could but even I plan to retire from my job one day. 

He was 2nd at IMNZ which I'm sure does more for his coaching brand and sponsorship than whatever you're suggesting, don't quit your day job.

25 minutes ago, hey_burgs said:

I don't use heart rate when racing sorry, no time to look at that! If I guessed, it would have been perhaps 155-60ish most of the way. My power on the bike was 259np, which I was really happy with. It's a number not so much I've been training to, because if I'm training to that power I'm going too easy (we can't simulate IM fatigue all the time, it's just not possible), but it is something I can't see going much higher for IM distance. Maybe another 6-8w or so, but probably no more. 

Yeah I can't see the point in rolling round at 259w either.  Might as well just sit at the coffee shop... very impressive.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Kiwinoz said:

He was 2nd at IMNZ which I'm sure does more for his coaching brand and sponsorship than whatever you're suggesting, don't quit your day job.

I love how you can take a kiwi out of NZ but not the NZ out of the kiwi. 

5 hours ago, Rog said:

How many Kona spots for this AG?

3 hours ago, Peter said:

I love how you can take a kiwi out of NZ but not the NZ out of the kiwi. 

I'm intrigued by how you emulate Trumpism diversionary tactics but nonetheless I'm still confused by them.

8 hours ago, Tryline said:

Also thumbs up for the 70-74 Cat winner coming in Sub 13! 

That is arwsome 

on the other end of the spectrum , how about the dudes in the half that took over 9 hrs to complete the 1.9k swim 90k bike 21k "run"

had some bad luck, broken rear derailleur about 5 km in the bike. all over red rover. I hit the pavement pretty hard as my wheel just locked up. I suspect the damage was in transit. I have a shitty bike bag, big foot.  I have already ordered a scicon as it seems every man and his dog had one. 

I also couldn't help feel second class doing the 70.3. Cairns seems more about ironman in my opinion. 

oh well, on to sunny coast 70.3 and before that Yeppoon olympic distance. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Prince said:

had some bad luck, broken rear derailleur about 5 km in the bike. all over red rover. I hit the pavement pretty hard as my wheel just locked up. I suspect the damage was in transit. I have a shitty bike bag, big foot.  I have already ordered a scicon as it seems every man and his dog had one. 

I also couldn't help feel second class doing the 70.3. Cairns seems more about ironman in my opinion. 

oh well, on to sunny coast 70.3 and before that Yeppoon olympic distance. 

Bummer , long way to go for that to happen 

scicon are great bags but u still should always remove , bars , pedals ,and rear derailer just to make sure all arrives safe and sound 

cheers

ivp

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, ironpo said:

Bummer, long way to go for that to happen.

Agree, major bummer.  I keep telling myself that everything happens for a reason though... Sliding Doors type stuff.  Maybe a slight stack at 5km and a withdrawal might have saved you from a tragedy later in the event... who knows.  Either way not much you can do about it now except get on with things which it sounds like you're doing Prince.  Hope you didn't damage yourself too much in your fall.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ironpo said:

Bummer , long way to go for that to happen 

scicon are great bags but u still should always remove , bars , pedals ,and rear derailer just to make sure all arrives safe and sound 

cheers

ivp

Not the bag I've used.

You only remove the wheels.  Thats it.

44 minutes ago, Peter said:

Not the bag I've used.

Yes

you CAN only do that , but one day something will be smashed at the other end

Always remove the derailleur. It's so easy, why wouldn't you since that's likely to be the most fragile part of your bike.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Peter said:

Not the bag I've used.

No matter what bag/box/case I've used, I always removed the rear derailleur and tape it to the rear stay. It doesn't take much of a knock to put a slight bend in a rear hanger/dropout, and that's a lot harder to fix than screwing a derailleur back on each trip.

Sorry to hear about your race Prince. I'm very envious of those who got to race, so I can feel your frustration - race conditions seemed just about as perfect as you could hope for on that course. Alas

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tossacoin said:

Rolled down to at least 11th I believe

I heard 8 slots for M35-39 and rolled to 10th.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Aidan said:

I heard 8 slots for M35-39 and rolled to 10th.

8 slots and rolled to 11th...trust me.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, KieranR said:

#worstnightmare, booked a hotel on the tablelands with 3 steps ??

IMG_3724.PNG

My worst nightmare is a going back to work straight after, and having a fire-drill that week. I work on the 11th floor. :(

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, barchie said:

Saw a few trannies out there on the run course and gave some shout outs but not sure who they were.

Great day for racing, much better than last year!

I only entered on Friday arvo after a mechanical at IM Brazil cost me 16mins and a Kona spot two weeks ago.

Managed to hold it together for a 9.26 and a KQ, bloody stoked but wouldn't recommend doing two full's in two weeks again! ?

Congratulations Barchie!  Glad to hear you got that slot.  I was the tall bloke two bikes down from you up at Palm Cove on Saturday.  Didn't realise you were a Tranny and I wasn't wearing my hat.

6 minutes ago, Stikman said:

Congratulations Barchie!  Glad to hear you got that slot.  I was the tall bloke two bikes down from you up at Palm Cove on Saturday.  Didn't realise you were a Tranny and I wasn't wearing my hat.

I'm still awaiting you confirmation that busso ironman is harder than cairns ???

51 minutes ago, Peter said:

I'm still awaiting you confirmation that busso ironman is harder than cairns ???

Which year?  Cairns was fast this year compared to both '14 and '16 yet I went faster then.  Busso was faster in '15 than '16 but I was faster in the latter.

All that I can confirm from Sunday is that racing when trained takes less time than racing untrained.  I now have finishes in the 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15:xx time ranges and they all seem to hurt as much as each other.  I'm going to have a go at 10 and 16 now to get the set (safe to say that 8 & 9 are beyond me.)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lucas said:

8 slots and rolled to 11th...trust me.

What was your place/time?