KieranR

IM Cairns 2017

TenPints: 974, getting through a priority, hoping for sub-13

BJ7: 494, Ironman virgin - no idea what time I'll do but aiming for sub-10

Edited by BJ7
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, TenPints said:

Right, let's go with numbers and targets.

TenPints: 974, getting through a priority, hoping for sub-13

Whiffyfuzzball: bib 1026, 12h30. 

Edited by WhiffyFuzzball
  • Like 1

At my local coffee shop this morning (Blackbird if you like really good espresso / long black)….. 

Anyone, shop was full of 'tri people in their lyrca'…………all while I’m dressed like a snowman

Troy has a tipping comp happening and this is what these few were writing up while I was there.  :D  (should have had my new hat on.....)

Fettell 8.29

Berkel 8.04 or 17.00 

Millward 8.24

Read 8.35

Edited by skel
  • Like 2

How badly does the wind affect the bike leg? Looks to be really windy there, or is it crosswinds? Im not racing, mates are though.

If it is the 'normal wind" it will be head wind pretty much all the way back from Port D.  Last week most days, and Sunday esp, was gail forces wind most of the day.  But it seems to have settled down in the last few days.  Sunday looks reasonable (according to weather zone) with 18-21km p/hr winds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zed said:

How badly does the wind affect the bike leg? Looks to be really windy there, or is it crosswinds? Im not racing, mates are though.

Constant headwind. Just check your ego, drop a few cogs and focus on power or HR zones and you'll be fine ...

• Like 3

Thje registration process seems to be alot 'slower' than previous years.  It's not till you get to the tent that you see only 4 booths for AGER's, 2 for the Japanses and 2 for AWA, for both IM & 70.3.  But best bit is the volunteers are all retiree's who havent ever used iPads, they are all having a great time.

Be patient they are great to chat too, take a hat too.

Good luck to all racing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skel said:

If it is the 'normal wind" it will be head wind pretty much all the way back from Port D.  Last week most days, and Sunday esp, was gail forces wind most of the day.  But it seems to have settled down in the last few days.  Sunday looks reasonable (according to weather zone) with 18-21km p/hr winds.

Forecast on Seabreeze is 18 - 20 knots which is more like 38km/hr, have they got km/hr and knots mixed up?? 

Definately km/hr on weatherzone. Just did a quick lunch run along the nard, and it was a good headwind.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, skel said:

Definately km/hr on weatherzone. Just did a quick lunch run along the nard, and it was a good headwind.

That's good, I want my mates to have a nice strong headwind :D

• Like 3

5 hours ago, skel said:

Spot on. This week I've noticed I've gained at least 5km/h going north and  lost the same on the way back. I need to keep an eye on power/hr both ways to make sure I'm not slacking or overdoing it. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, WhiffyFuzzball said:

I wrote up my more detailed plan and times here (public post) 

Nice plan

ive 29 IM

and still have no idea how long each leg will take me lol

so arenu gunna take a no doze every two hrs?

that seems a lot to

me , but half a no doze will keep me awake for 2 days

29 minutes ago, ironpo said:

Nice plan

ive 29 IM

and still have no idea how long each leg will take me lol

so arenu gunna take a no doze every two hrs?

that seems a lot to

me , but half a no doze will keep me awake for 2 days

Ha ha thats' what I was thinking, they've got about 200mg caffeine in theme, you're going to be pinging off the walls!

1 hour ago, zed said:

Ha ha thats' what I was thinking, they've got about 200mg caffeine in theme, you're going to be pinging off the walls!

100mg per tablet. A long black is about 150mg and I have 3 or 4 of those a day normally. 

I have snuck in to town. Flying under the radar this year. Saw John Hill from Fastgear. Does anybody ever buy anything from him?. Pretty pricey..

Edited by Chuckie M
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chuckie M said:

I have snuck in to town. Flying under the radar this year. Saw John Hill from Fastgear. Does anybody ever buy anything from him?. Pretty pricey..

If he smiles you get it for free

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chuckie M said:

A friend of mine was disappointed that for something he normally buys off him in town (city) for $5 was $10 at the expo.

Personally I would have gone and told him.

I am doing Ironman Cairns: http://ap.ironman.com/triathl…/…/asiapac/ironman/cairns.aspx. I am doing the iron distance event, not the 70.3, if you are looking at the maps the courses are slightly different.

My race number is 1026. The event starts for me at 07:45 Sunday morning, Australian eastern time. This is 22:45 on Saturday, UK time. I expect to finish in about 12.5 hours, so 20:15 AU time, 11:15 UK time.

The page above will have a live tracker when the race starts so you will be able to see my times as I finish the swim, at key moments of the bike and during the run.

That's wishful thinking. :)

KieranR #624 no idea what time 13-14hrs maybe.  The plan is finish and be proud of what I've achieved from what I used to be.    My special request with myself- no walking, I don't care how slow I run I just want to keep running! I'm ready to go though. 

IMG_3568.PNG

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, KieranR said:

KieranR #624 no idea what time 13-14hrs maybe.  The plan is finish and be proud of what I've achieved from what I used to be.    My special request with myself- no walking, I don't care how slow I run I just want to keep running! I'm ready to go though. 

IMG_3568.PNG

Get to bed. Sleep is the key to a good race. 

• Like 2

Good luck to everyone. 

Enjoy it regardless of the result. We are very lucky to be able to do this stuff, something that is forgotten sometimes I think. 

YEOW! 

10 hours ago, KieranR said:

IMG_3568.PNG

Don't worry too much about walking, it might be an idea to at the very least to walk the aid stations, make sure you can get fluids, gels on as you walk?

"From what I used to be"?

• Like 1

Anyone know who is the actually athlete tracker for this one? As in the third-party tracker? Usually get better data/updates from them?

Good luck to everyone racing. Having been a late entry to the 70.3 I'm an even later withdrawal. I've been carrying a head cold all week and only made the decision to register and start at 10:30 this morning. I was driving down from Palm Cove on the way to check in when I got the call from my wife to tell me that my grandgaughter Mia has take a turn for the worst.

Those who know me well will know that Mia has had very serious health issues from birth 7 years ago and has suffered epilepsy amongst other complications in recent times. She had a bad set of seizures yesterday and I put my wife on a plane back to Sydney last night (couldn't pack up the bike, check out or return hire car in time for me to join her so we decided to split our trips home). This morning Mia seemed to be doing well in hospital and it was decided that I should stay and do the race if I was up to it. That all changed 15 minutes later when she had another seizure and went into cardiac arrest. I've been frantic since. Rush to return to palm Cove, change flights, pack bike and clothes, check out, drive to airport running just about every red light.

Right now I'm awaiting to board the 12:35 flight back to Sydney not knowing what is happening back at home ... fingers crossed 

Wish you all the Best Andrew for your daughter and family. It puts racing in perspective. Remember people it's only a race. One that will eventually be over by midnight tomorrow night. 

• Like 2

Andrew, thinking of Mia, you and all the family.   I know that plane won't be flying as fast as you want, but you'll soon be there.  Big hugs. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Andrew #1 said:

Good luck to everyone racing. Having been a late entry to the 70.3 I'm an even later withdrawal. I've been carrying a head cold all week and only made the decision to register and start at 10:30 this morning. I was driving down from Palm Cove on the way to check in when I got the call from my wife to tell me that my grandgaughter Mia has take a turn for the worst.

Those who know me well will know that Mia has had very serious health issues from birth 7 years ago and has suffered epilepsy amongst other complications in recent times. She had a bad set of seizures yesterday and I put my wife on a plane back to Sydney last night (couldn't pack up the bike, check out or return hire car in time for me to join her so we decided to split our trips home). This morning Mia seemed to be doing well in hospital and it was decided that I should stay and do the race if I was up to it. That all changed 15 minutes later when she had another seizure and went into cardiac arrest. I've been frantic since. Rush to return to palm Cove, change flights, pack bike and clothes, check out, drive to airport running just about every red light.

Right now I'm awaiting to board the 12:35 flight back to Sydney not knowing what is happening back at home ... fingers crossed 

Our best thoughts are with you mate 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

Holy cow 

Hope you get to see her and she's going to be ok. Thoughts are with you and your family. 

• Like 1

Andrew, glad you got that earlier flight, send my thoughts and best wishes to Mia. Next time we chat, hope it's good news.

• Like 2

Sending best wishes for Mia from across the miles Andrew.  I'm sure every Trannie racing will do so with you and Mia  in their thoughts.

Edited by FatPom
  • Like 4

Thinking of everyone out there today, making memories and having one of the best days of their lives! 

• Like 1

Cam brown still racing. Gee. He needs to find something else to do. Total legend. But needs to walk away from ironman. Just stick to shorter dude. 

IMG_0497.PNG

17 minutes ago, Peter said:

Cam brown still racing. Gee. He needs to find something else to do. Total legend. But needs to walk away from ironman. Just stick to shorter dude. 

IMG_0497.PNG

I hope the old block top 5's & shuts you up. 

• Like 2

Sitting at home, but been very overcast and dark most of the day in Cairns.  Was windy this morning, not sure about now.  Heading into town in hours.

Glad to hear your news is better than expected.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

What was the weather like for the 70.3?

Must have been good, bunch of friends have gone quicker than they did in Busso a month prior.

6 minutes ago, zed said:

Must have been good, bunch of friends have gone quicker than they did in Busso a month prior.

No surprise.  Busso is the hardest course in Oz. 

• Like 4

Heading into town soon to catch the end.  Will have my new smick visor on.  Will do my best to look out for those racing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bored@work said:

Has the tracker stopped working again?

Did it start working?

Great work by Josh for his breakthrough IM win.