KieranR

IM Cairns 2017

38 minutes ago, TenPints said:

and assuming I don't drown as I'm not sure I can remember how to swim...

Don't worry about it, apparently I didn't swim between 21st Sept and IMWA last year (And haven't swum since... :whistling:

Swimming - It is just like riding a bike... It comes back to you. (And over 3.8k, you have a while to remember how...)

If you're really that unfit 75% is on the very high side, I'd suggest 65, 70 max but I wouldn't even go there if it was me.

Edited by Rog

I'm trying to sneak in a late 'fly in, fly out' raid on the 70.3.

just have to convince the Minister for Finance and War. ...

Trying to work out cheap accomodation options if i can pull it off. Won't be committing until last week of May ... if all goes well and entries are still open.

If anyone has a spare bed, let me know

6 hours ago, Rog said:

If you're really that unfit 75% is on the very high side, I'd suggest 65, 70 max but I wouldn't even go there if it was me.

Thanks Right will take all and any advice on riding to power

1 hour ago, Andrew #1 said:

If anyone has a spare bed, let me know

Possibly... will let you know asap

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

... if all goes well and entries are still open.

certainly running your luck. Last time i saw think it said 70.3 was about 95% full

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TenPints said:

Thanks Right will take all and any advice on riding to power

Rode at ~68% at IMWA 2016 - still ran like crap.

(training for any and all disciplines may have been a good idea)

I'm in for my first IM up there. Had 2 years out of the sport, drank a (couple?) of beers at Christmas with 2 mates and next thing i know we were all entered. 

Training ticking along ok and looking forward to it!!

• Like 2

That map looks wrong, it should read 1.9km.

Yeah you're right, that looks pretty good actually.

yeah I'm in, #6 in total for me but 1st Ironman other than Port Mac.

So from those who have done both, how do they compare, I know the distance is still the distance but what should I expect?

1 hour ago, bortho said:

yeah I'm in, #6 in total for me but 1st Ironman other than Port Mac.

So from those who have done both, how do they compare, I know the distance is still the distance but what should I expect?

I'd say both are fairly similar for the bike elevation. Matthew Flinders is steeper than the Wangetti lookout but you have do Wangetti 4x (twice on both sides). Roads on Cairns are not as rough as Port, but a bit more exposed to the wind. Run course is dead flat in Cairns. Cairns swim a bit more lumpy.

I enjoy the Cairns race experience a lot more - the course, the atmosphere, the place. But that's just me.

I think you should expect rain at some stage during the day, from what I understand it usual afternoon rain comes over and goes away. 

last year was for a good amount of the day though. 

Cairns has crocs, just for the added experience.  Haven't seen many lately, they must be laying low and just waiting........... :D

I'm in for ironman #10!! I'm from Busso so pretty used to sharp teethed creatures that lurk in the deep (and that's just at the local pool ;p

• Like 1

On 2017-5-19 at 2:50 PM, johan said:

I think you should expect rain at some stage during the day, from what I understand it usual afternoon rain comes over and goes away. 

last year was for a good amount of the day though. 

We'll be taking our umbrellas - last three years we've bought unbrellas up there - we'll probably scare the rain away B)

• Like 1

I'm overweight and unfit, croc bait if ever there was any, so you're all safe with me in the water.

#7 for me, 2nd time around Cairns. First it rained the entire day, people running in space blankets. Watch the speed bumps out of T1 if it's wet. Slippy buggers they be!

Just one more long run to do before the day! my long run on Saturday turned into a disaster with my sitting on the side of the road dizzy and vomiting!  the wheels well and truly came off at just the 15km mark, very disappointing, but something to learn from, was a long walk home after that.

I'm in for Cairns full too - first IM since Cairns 2013, 4th iron distance in total.

Full on taper madness is here - have I done enough training?? If I live on bananas for a week can I lose a few more kgs??

I have just ordered a Garmin 935 having worked out yesterday that my 920XT battery is only lasting about 10 hours now which won't cover my expected 13 hour finishing time..

Edited by WhiffyFuzzball
spelling

My wife is really starting to annoy me - 2 messages yesterday asking what it was that i got delivered by two separate couriers yesterday...ummm 2 new race suits, and then she was banging on last week with deliveries most days, new tyres one day, new socks the next, new tubes another day, new 300ml flasks and some electrolytes on another....wait til the new shoes rock up today or tomorrow, she will go into full on melt down hahaha

• Like 3

Seriously dude, you don't have a work address you can get the stuff delivered to!

Rookie mistake.