Peter

Garmin 935. Wow

Rog    1,552

Also on the same review he states the optical HR hardware is exactly the same.

So if it doesn't work for you now it is unlikely that it will be any different.

YMMV

willie    637

I've said it before I've found the optical HR a lot better than most. It helps to be slightly rotund as not as much light gets in to mess with the sensor. 

Never really had any more or less problems than with the strap. But the strap does a lot more than just HR these days and that can come in handy. 

asmithaxe    1
53 minutes ago, Ironnerd said:

Have a read of DC Rainmakers thoughts on the HR accuracy.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/03/garmin-forerunner-935-depth-review.html#heart-rate-sensor-accuracy

Before we move on to the test results, note that optical HR sensor accuracy is rather varied from individual to individual.  Aspects such as skin color, hair density, and position can impact accuracy.  Position and how the band is worn are *the most important* pieces.  A unit with an optical HR sensor should be snug.  It doesn’t need to leave marks, but you shouldn’t be able to slide a finger under the band (at least during workouts).

Yes, I read that.  Thanks.  It sounds promising, but still just a sample of 1, even though it is DCR. Hoping others will share their 935 optical HR experiences as they become more widely used.

Edited by asmithaxe

prizna    527
5 hours ago, asmithaxe said:

Can you expand on your experience with the optical HR please. I just want to be sure you are talking from experience and not opinion. Thanks.

I'm in the process of collecting data from a second hr to send to Garmin as proof the optical is shit.  

I get varying issues. Here's a couple of examples, I did a 21km run the other week started at 5:20 pace and did descend pace till 3:50s apparently my heart stayed in the 130s the whole time. I'm either a weapon or the hr is wrong. 

Last Monday I did hill reps on the bike they were 12 minutes up and about 5 down. My heart rate apparently didn't drop on the descents, it recorded as one solid line with a variance of about 5bpm.

This morning's ride. I wore another hr conmected to a 510 this showed how much my HR varied between surges and hills. The 735 apparently had me at 140ish bpm for 45 minutes then the final 20mins spiked and I held above 170 for the whole time. There's no fkn way I can stay above 170 on the bike for 20minutes.

rory-dognz    244

The optical is rubbish for sport.

I find it doesn't drop when you are resting eg stop at the lights and no recovery on the optical HR. This is when compared to strap feeding my 910 used at the same time.

For running the optical HR is high and continously climbs during the run. to the extent at it has me doing 160bmp when running 6.20 min/km, and no reduction on stopping.

The optical will also step change of 20 - 30 bmp which cant physically happen.

The optical is great for sitting in meetings and watching you response to people.

Stikman    1,303
9 hours ago, Fitness Buddy said:

So it that case we should strap stuff on kids and tell them to run at this pace no faster no slower and see how much the enjoyment factor disappears.  

Run for free and for fun first

FB you know how pacing works to develop different aspects of running.  These are tools just the same as a track and stopwatch.  Everything has its place but anything to excess is (by very definition) a bad thing.

When you say don't be a slave to them I agree.  When you imply that they have no value at all there are literally millions of hours of training logs that will show otherwise.

Your hatred of all things technology must have some deeper roots.  We're you attacked by a toaster as a kid or something?

• Like 2

zed    771
11 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

So a xt920 is still the go then ...

Yeah I don't reckon many people are going to ditch their 920 and fork out $600 for a pretty similar device.

alexholbrook    144
30 minutes ago, zed said:

Yeah I don't reckon many people are going to ditch their 920 and fork out $600 for a pretty similar device.

I personally wouldn't go out and buy a 935 ether. Being a PE teacher, I'm after a day to day watch (so it has to be small) that I can use for all of my training also. Hence, why a 735 would be my best option. Optical Heart rate isn't a must need, as I use a heart rate strap anyway. I'm just waiting for the 735 to drop a little in price. $499 is just a little steep for my liking. 

zed    771

Picked up my Fenix 5 today. Nice watch, solid and robust, I like the metal bezel. Will take it for a swim and run tomorrow and see how it fares.

zed    771

Used it for an OWS and pool swim, went really well, the display is big and clear. Optical HR doesn't work when you swim I guess? It's heavier than the 920Xt, but you don't notice it when swimming.

• Like 1

goughy    2,147

Not available yet - late april early may.

nealo    1,285
1 hour ago, Dukeyboy said:

rebel website has it showinh as available in some stores?

Yeah it's showing in stock at Miranda.

I'm so tempted............

I don't think I've bought anything other than shoes for 2 years!

roxii    4,116

Just tell the mrs it's mine and you are borrowing it :lol: 

• Like 4

Dukeyboy    3

I'm still using my 305!  It seems they've finally released a watch with similar gps / pace accuracy.

• Like 1

Peter    1,612
1 hour ago, roxii said:

Just tell the mrs it's mine and you are borrowing it :lol: 

Hang on. Is this mountain bike my wife used with you and yurtie adventure racing yours or not?  

She always said it was yours. 

Now I'm beginning to question it. 

trifun    149
On 31/03/2017 at 8:21 PM, Fitness Buddy said:

Why do we always need the latest gadget?  

What is wrong with what you already have?  

Wrong forum for this kind of talk..... :) 

Andrew #1    838

So. Xt910 wrist band shat itself and my 2 year old Timex ironman battery died. I took these as omens to purchase. After comparing with the Fenix 5 I went with the Forerunner 935. Doesn't seem as plastic as the xt735 and it certainly is lighter than the Fenix. Being able to use a triathlon band later is also a bonus - I love it!

Opticval HR seems to be giving appropriate data and distance, lap pace etc seems bang on.

one problem I'm having is pairing the device with TrainerRoad. Was able to pair Xt910 watch and HR band as well as Kickr and Wahoo cadence sensor, but the 935 is not being detected by TrainerRoad - regardless of whether I use the app on my iPad or iPhone.

Suggestions?

zed    771
42 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

So. Xt910 wrist band shat itself and my 2 year old Timex ironman battery died. I took these as omens to purchase. After comparing with the Fenix 5 I went with the Forerunner 935. Doesn't seem as plastic as the xt735 and it certainly is lighter than the Fenix. Being able to use a triathlon band later is also a bonus - I love it!

Opticval HR seems to be giving appropriate data and distance, lap pace etc seems bang on.

one problem I'm having is pairing the device with TrainerRoad. Was able to pair Xt910 watch and HR band as well as Kickr and Wahoo cadence sensor, but the 935 is not being detected by TrainerRoad - regardless of whether I use the app on my iPad or iPhone.

Suggestions?

I don't use TrainerRoad any more, but you can logon to TR and link it to Garmin Connect in there. It should autosync as it does with Strava.

Andrew #1    838
1 hour ago, zed said:

I don't use TrainerRoad any more, but you can logon to TR and link it to Garmin Connect in there. It should autosync as it does with Strava.

That's right. It should. But it isn't!