Peter

Art. What have you spent

Peter    1,562

With the new reno the mrs is keen to get good art.

Just wondering whats the most you've spent.

Flanman    1,097

We moved into a new place in the last 2 years. After a lot of intense and extensive looking, we have averaged only about $200per piece. Some small, some big. About 10 pieces in all. No names, mainly prints.

FM

Peter    1,562

I might get you to call my wife flanno and tell her that.

goughy    1,999

Rob's an amatuer photographer and a hell of a designer etc so about everything in our place was done by her.

• Like 1

tortoise    820

One very nice painting by a recently deceased aboriginal artist. Price undisclosed. Every time I look at it brings me delight.

Last week I collected from the conservation framer 15 etchings of early Sydney that were my grandfather's collection. Average cost of restoring and stabilising the paper and framing was well over $500 per, depending on the amount of work to restore. It's taken me over a decade to commit the funds and the result is outstanding.

I once baby sat for a family who had a large Fred Williams in the lounge and a painting in one of the children's bedroom with their names, happy christmas 1964, Bill (Dobell) amongst a house full of Australian modern masters.

I think what you are prepared to spend on art is quite subjective. Buy what you love. As much as you can afford. Not necessarily all at one time.

• Like 3

oldschool69#2    131

Just get a kid from kindy to slap some paint around a canvas frame it ..put a bullshit price tag on it in the corner ..say 1k and people will marvel at the shit !

Peter    1,562

Just get a kid from kindy to slap some paint around a canvas frame it ..put a bullshit price tag on it in the corner ..say 1k and people will marvel at the shit !

Nah they won't. Most kindly stuff I've seen really is shit.

Daycare is a farkin waste of money.

• Like 1

Mjainoz    1,034

Guessing you will like this article. Oh the memories. ... ;).

www.economist.com/blogs/prospero/2016/09/pardoning-expressionism

"The painting, which the hard-drinking Pollock supposedly began during a drunken session with two friends, did not find a receptive audience upon arrival. “$1.3m for drips and drabs”, ran one newspaper headline. Another raged that “barefoot drunks painted our $1m masterpiece”. If Australia’s tabloid journalists... "

Edited by Mjainoz
  • Like 1

Mjainoz    1,034

Have not bought a new piece in 10 years. Ran out of walls!

Prob spent 10k on 5 pieces 10-15 years back.

Lotsa other $200 bits n bobs.

What ever happen to taping a magazine poster to the wall ? !

TryTriB4Forty    640

We have done a couple of things:

In terms of paintings we have a couple at approx. $1000 a pop. But they are by no means collector pieces .... my wife and I rarely agree on a painting that we like, but the ones we have are mostly from holidays (street fairs or random artists in places we have visited - its not like we go into exclusive galleries or anything). Our favourite is a painting that we bought on our honeymoon - its two boats tied together - which seemed appropriate given that we had just tied the knot.

We also have one very large photo from a professional photographer - it is a panoramic scene from near where we live.

The other thing we have done is professional family photos - some really great ones of the kids etc. We've had them printed on large canvases for one wall

We have also had our (nearly) 3 year old paint some A3 paper and tell us what he thought he had painted. Put it in a $40 frame that we bought at K-mart or Ikea with a title and date etc. It actually gets a lot of comments and is something we can keep. When the kids are a bit older I want to buy a huge canvas (like as big as a door) and get them to paint it.....

Cottoneyes    752

$500 is the most on one piece outright, got invited by a friend to their Mother's art exhibition opening night, wife and I really liked a landscape painting and we had just bought our first house so we got it, came close to buying a second piece. No one famous, not likely to be but we really liked the piece.

My wife bought a couple of large celtic prints (talking over a metre each side) when in Ireland prior to us meeting, they take centre stage in our formal lounge, pretty sure transportation and framing on those pieces would have taken more than $500 each

Got one shot of my own we're talking about getting printed and framed at the moment, hopefully first of many to come

We're oing to an art and photo exhibition this weekend at San Remo, might be a chance for you to get something on the cheaper side Peter, keep your wife out of the inner city hipster galleries and control the costs

Ex-Hasbeen    3,801

We've got a few of my MiL's paintings. Nothing to write home about, but they are nice and they mean something. We bought a limited edition print for a few hundred from a local SEQ artist. Magnificent rainforest scene. Cost a motza to get framed properly, but has pride of place as the first thing you see when you enter the house. Well worth what we spent.

roxii    4,000

We have an eclectic bunch of stuff.

No theme just stuff we have liked, funnily the most exxy piece is a crayon on canvas of hippos I bought for my wife before we were married. Still like it.

Other stuff is some indigenous art, and also some art from a local women in kurnell and also some cheap beachy style stuff. Not much of it has made it back on the walls yet though.

Other thing we have done in our travels is bought some nice postcards (some arty, some just nice images) of places we have been and then framed them when we get home.

If you want to match a colour scheme in your house, an idea is to go to a few markets and you will often find an artist displaying their works, find one whose style you like and talk to them and see if they can do something in the style you like but with colours you choose. We did this with a few pieces before and it is a cheap way to get "custom" art.

rory-dognz    239

We have a couple of landscapes that apparently mean something to my wife that were rather expensive 5k+

Otherwise some oils we really like from a friends mother who was a great artist and we liked the paintings

We have a number of pottery jugs from our travels and tend to collect these as apposed to other art.

Last year we did a wall of photos from our 20 years together, these show sences, people, activities etc. there are about 40 photos in the collection in a wide variety of frames

Some of my mothers watercolours of mainly around where I grew up so have as much emotional as artistic attachment.

One of the best is the "mothers day hands" this is a canvas about 1x2m and each mothers day the kids put a new hand print on it. started it when the oldest was about 4, so 13 years of hands. It is getting a little crowded but still has pride of place in the dining room. It has become a bit of a ritual to do the hands each mothers day.

• Like 2

roxii    4,000

Does my framed IM medals count as art, if so thats the most expensive piece I have :lol:

• Like 3

goughy    1,999

Best thing we have in our house is a photo my wife took and printed as a cyanotype. It got accepted for display in the McGregor photo competition up here which I gather is a fairly prestigious photo competition, and even being accepted for display is an achievement in itself.....

It's a portrait of me! ;)

We also have a photo, the footprints, and a pressing of the dried flowers from Jacob who we lost at 18 weeks. Some people find him a bit confronting, but it's not there for them.

In our bedroom we have a grouping of 6 photos each of both our kids births. Black and White, so they aren't grizzly. Both were Ceasars. The best is Jasmine, who came out butt first and I caught a light the right way so it looks like the Sun is shining out her arse!

• Like 3

roxii    4,000

Only the must have pic from Le Tour back in the day with the guys smoking. Like 30 bucks.

:lol: yeah I have that one too.

Peter    1,562

well I just went to an art auction and bought a piece by some famous guy.

A new TT bike would have been cheaper but given I ride like crap, this might be better off

trinube    1,048

I have a nice painting by a (now deceased) Brushman of the Bush. No idea what it would be worth but would guess a couple of grand. The rest are photos. Five photos from when I won a major award and rest are pics of the family. Didn't cost much but are priceless.

Edit to add I've been thinking a bit differently for our next house. I'd like to buy a nice new surfboard and display it (when not in use) and a nice classic Stratocaster to hang on the wall but can play whenever I get the urge. I'd also like a hand made, kangaroo hide bull whip - just because they look super cool.

Edited by trinube

Niseko    745

209.jpg

I just bought this for 4K USD from an eccentric English guy from South Africa, Mark Hilltout. We need something a bit weather proof for a big wall on our verandah, He makes art from aged corrugated iron. http://markhilltout.com

Also bought a couple of pieces from a 100 year old Japanese lady Toko Shinoda. Here is one of them:

aee8493587585c34de65be541865dde6.jpg

Just moved it to the wall of our new beauty salon. It was about $3K AUD.

I recently went to an 'affordable' art show in Singapore and there was hardly a piece under $5k and we didn't like anything very much.

We really love these pieces and don't regret the purchases at all.

15844430_1180034065398910_36079175743098

Edited by Niseko

Parkside    731

I'm building a portfolio of my daughter's paintings to frame eventually. Unfortunately bought her a drawing tablet 15 months ago and will have to hack her macbook to see some of her best stuff.

The other issue is we have an open plan house with lots of windows and bugger all wall space to hang anything much.

Go Easy    1,199

$0.00 (Zero - Not a cent)

I have nothing against art, I just wouldn't spend money on it.

Bored@work    1,439

My wife purchased got me Lance Armstrong print a few years ago, she still refuses to tell me what she paid.

Great investment.....