RunBrettRun

Ironman Australia 2017

18 minutes ago, Flanman said:

A LOT more st the finish now. Al Pitman got a 3nd in his AG. 

FM

Will that be enough to get to Kona? Not like AP to have to rely on roll down is it.

By the way what an amazing age group to have the first guy 65-69 do 11h37m on that course, then pitman and the third guy still come under 12 hours!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RunBrettRun said:

Tough day.  Dropped chain at 80k and lost touch with the guys i was drafting I mean riding with.

Had a crack on the run.  Went out at sub 3 pace and felt great, was looking like a possible podium and was about to run into 6th on 3rd lap and next min I was laying on someones front yard at settlement point struggling to breath.  

Got my shit together and finished in 9.40.xx.

This course is brutal.

Well done.  Takes some grit to pull it vack together after a mini meltdown

• Like 4

Bittersweet day for me.

Found some feet and had a solid swim (for me anyway) 56min

Had a very ordinary ride. Funnily enough I too dropped my chain - coming out of town for the second lap I was having all sorts of trouble with my special needs bag and hit a hill so tried a panicked gear change from big to little dog and it dropped along with my nutrition. First bike incident in a race for me, not a great feeling. 5.17

Big run PB for me which I'm happy about. Managed to completely avoid walking, including aid stations, and ran a big negative split for a 3.12

9.31, 25th overall but 7th in my AG which won't be good enough to punch a ticket to Kona unfortunately. I'll be shattered if 6th gets a roll down - he pipped me by 15 seconds!

Oh well, that's the sport I suppose.

Well done to everyone who raced. Agree with RBR - that course is just relentless.

* All splits rounded down of course

Edited by Hoffy86
  • Like 7

Great racing Hoffy. The guy that finished in front of you is a dickhead from Coffs Harbour who also happens to be a tranny :D

Well done Clint you just keep going back and getting better with each race. Hope you get a spot today if that's what you want!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rog said:

Great racing Hoffy. The guy that finished in front of you is a dickhead from Coffs Harbour who also happens to be a tranny :D

Well done Clint you just keep going back and getting better with each race. Hope you get a spot today if that's what you want!

Cheers mate, and thanks for all your help with where to ride.

Haha well at least it's going to one of the good guys. Great racing Clint.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rog said:

By the way what an amazing age group to have the first guy 65-69 do 11h37m on that course, then pitman and the third guy still come under 12 hours!

How long before Pitman mentions PEDS? 

Was AP beaten by a German again?

well done all. That is a true ironman course and not a soft one that many chase these days. 

Wrapped coffs Pete got there. 

4 minutes ago, Peter said:

well done all. That is a true ironman course and not a soft one that many chase these days. 

This is 100% right. Not only a true ironman course but one where you don't see the typical blatant drafting that happens in WA, Sunny Coast etc.

Some awesome racing from trannies.  I agree 100% with the above comments.  This course is a fair & honest.  Is there still hills on the run course?  It's changed a few times over the years. 

1 hour ago, The Customer said:

How long before Pitman mentions PEDS? 

He won't unless there was only one spot in his AG group.  I thought he always won his age group in Port & by big numbers.  Did he change age groups or is this guy never raced Port before. 

Great work hoffy, great to meet you after the race too.

Edited by RunBrettRun

I have to admit, I can't believe how fast some people can go on that course or running so well (sub 3:10) off the bike.

You are freaks.  Well done to you all on your hard work.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Peter said:

I have to admit, I can't believe how fast some people can go

I just looked at the guy that beat AP. This guy is in the 65 - 69yr AG, and swam 52:43. Only 22 finishers swam faster than him. That's in the whole f'ing field. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

Great work hoffy, great to meet you after the race too.

You too mate. Saw you a few times on course and recognised you from that outstanding tash, so had to say hello post-race.

Well done for toughing it out when things derailed. Enjoy your break.

I stayed for a few hours cheering on everyone. I camped behind the recovery tent as you come up then grass before the hill. A good spot to keep everyone spirits up. Having their names on their number is a great idea. A personal encouragement of "good work X" helps. 

FM

1 hour ago, Hoffy86 said:

You too mate. Saw you a few times on course and recognised you from that outstanding tash, so had to say hello post-race.

Well done for toughing it out when things derailed. Enjoy your break.

Prizna loves it too.

Mrs IP made 1st in her AG, so presume she will be off to Kona as well?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RunBrettRun said:

Corky's off to kona everyone.  11.29.

Good on her then

5 hours ago, Peter said:

Just now, Coffs Pete said:

Thanks for all of you getting me home Esp iFoz who came out of the Finishers tent to run with me fora few Kms organising aid stations for drinks and salt Had me sucking on pretzels to get the salt from them Before that I had 2 other Trannies from Grafton viz Tex and the Grafton Kid run several laps with me to get me home Anyway the Transitions Greyman placing is safe for another year Come to Beer Mile at 3:30 near the finish line for more stories from Tranny members Oh about Foz his coming out of the Finishers Area and trying to get back in was likened to a Gay bloke coming out of the closet then changing his mind and waning to go back in Not much chance of getting back into recovery area 

See you at 3:30pm OO ROO PETE 

5 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I just looked at the guy that beat AP. This guy is in the 65 - 69yr AG, and swam 52:43. Only 22 finishers swam faster than him. That's in the whole f'ing field. 

His name is Greg Bush and he used to live in Darwin and wasn't seen much on the local scene until he moved to Brisbane a few years ago.  Over the last few years he has been winning all of the OD and sprint races in his AG but did not do too well in a Sunny Coast 70.3 a few years ago and swore off the long stuff.  Must have had a change of heart and trained for his first IM when he aged up to AP's group.  Back in the day he swam in the Comm Games so he has always been very quick in the water.  I must admit I thought AP would run him down after Greg Bush's sensational swim/bike but AP put only about 5 minutes into him on the run.  As usual, AP was like greased lightning in transition and caught up about 5 min. as a result - but it wasn't quite enough.

Who said it gets easier as you get older!

• Like 1