Jump to content
RunBrettRun

Ironman Australia 2017

Recommended Posts

CarpeDiem    64
On 4/18/2017 at 9:27 AM, Goliath said:

It's like people that walk on the run . If you can't run the whole way you obviously haven't trained properly for it. 

I have to say I think this is a bit of a generalisation. Have you ever considered that perhaps some of those who walk on the run are carrying chronic injuries that prevent them from running the whole thing? It doesn't necessarily mean they haven't trained properly but perhaps they are limited physically in how much of it they can run and instead of 'looking good' to other athletes and running the whole thing they know their limits. Just my 2c

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RunBrettRun    1,363
26 minutes ago, CarpeDiem said:

I have to say I think this is a bit of a generalisation. Have you ever considered that perhaps some of those who walk on the run are carrying chronic injuries that prevent them from running the whole thing? It doesn't necessarily mean they haven't trained properly but perhaps they are limited physically in how much of it they can run and instead of 'looking good' to other athletes and running the whole thing they know their limits. Just my 2c

I think that post was a troll.  How many people do you know who have run a whole ironman marathon without walking one bit...

 

Well done on taking the bait.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IronmanFoz    664
41 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Even AP has regular walks through the aid stations as a part of his plan.

Smart man.......Not just a pretty face!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AP    1,597

The biggest mental battle on the day is when you have walked through an aid station and then it's time to start running again - or to allow yourself 20steps walk and then you must run :huh:

Another is when you have a bad patch in the bike and all those thoughts flash through your head about the mornings you slept in and dodged the rides you should really have done - or the long rides you cut short because you "had a good reason" - getting the fight back after that low patch is not easy :huh:

I'm happy that ironpo pulled that photo up - I needed it to fire me up - I'm already looking forward to MFD this year - and running the hill out of town (he caught me walking up there a couple of years ago - no photos) he's like my conscience :whip:

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IronmanFoz    664
5 hours ago, AP said:

The biggest mental battle on the day is when you have walked through an aid station and then it's time to start running again - or to allow yourself 20steps walk and then you must run :huh:

Another is when you have a bad patch in the bike and all those thoughts flash through your head about the mornings you slept in and dodged the rides you should really have done - or the long rides you cut short because you "had a good reason" - getting the fight back after that low patch is not easy :huh:

I'm happy that ironpo pulled that photo up - I needed it to fire me up - I'm already looking forward to MFD this year - and running the hill out of town (he caught me walking up there a couple of years ago - no photos) he's like my conscience :whip:

 

That's the beauty of the Ironman!!!!!!

MFD - me too! Retribution!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ironpo    2,839
6 hours ago, AP said:

The biggest mental battle on the day is when you have walked through an aid station and then it's time to start running again - or to allow yourself 20steps walk and then you must run :huh:

Another is when you have a bad patch in the bike and all those thoughts flash through your head about the mornings you slept in and dodged the rides you should really have done - or the long rides you cut short because you "had a good reason" - getting the fight back after that low patch is not easy :huh:

I'm happy that ironpo pulled that photo up - I needed it to fire me up - I'm already looking forward to MFD this year - and running the hill out of town (he caught me walking up there a couple of years ago - no photos) he's like my conscience :whip:

 

Spot on

another classic post from AP , 

All those in for there first IM take note 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
roxii    4,115

No race number for me but did get my media accred so I'm there. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Suburban Kid    97

'Another is when you have a bad patch in the bike and all those thoughts flash through your head about the mornings you slept in and dodged the rides you should really have done - or the long rides you cut short because you "had a good reason" - getting the fight back after that low patch is not easy :huh:'

Me on every training session

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lzbones    217

I happy to say, for the first time for IM I've have had a detailed plan. I've also followed it pretty well. Unfortunately, the plan is sh#te. Planning to not do a lot was never going to end well. I've increased my swimming 1300% this week... so

 

1. Is there a weir or something we have to cross on the swim? Can you rest there?

2) are you allowed to call over a paddler and have a little rest before keeping on swimming?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RunBrettRun    1,363

Ironman flags are up in the main Street and town green.  It's amazing how your motivation drops with 2 or 3 weeks to go then once you see the ironman logo it all comes flooding back.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CarpeDiem    64
On 4/20/2017 at 8:34 PM, RunBrettRun said:

I think that post was a troll.  How many people do you know who have run a whole ironman marathon without walking one bit...

 

Well done on taking the bait.

:o:wallbash:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ironpo    2,839
1 hour ago, RunBrettRun said:

Ironman flags are up in the main Street and town green.  It's amazing how your motivation drops with 2 or 3 weeks to go then once you see the ironman logo it all comes flooding back.

U don't get that at a challange race :-)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mjainoz    1,046

Good luck all. My wheels will be out there (ironpo comment to come). 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AP    1,597
1 hour ago, RunBrettRun said:

Last big sessions done.  All downhill from here.  

It's a good feeling to reach the point where - the hard work is all done - lets just get fresher now - probably time for the "bull shark sightings" in the Hastings River to start appearing - or maybe a sewage spill into the river :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
trickle    23

My last 2 weeks leading up have included:

 

An over the bars on the TT bike whilst doing hills up the Sunny Coast. Injured left shoulder and knee to the face.
Then last week was 3 good training sessions earl in the week before being absolutely decked by a headcold.

 

Back into it today with a 25k Z2… and last couple of bigger sessions then into taper, I know I’ve done the hard work so now its just a case of getting it done.

 

Have to fight the urge of building my new Ceepo Katana up to race…barely have time to build, ride and check fit etc. Am I asking for trouble?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RunBrettRun    1,363
2 hours ago, AP said:

It's a good feeling to reach the point where - the hard work is all done - lets just get fresher now - probably time for the "bull shark sightings" in the Hastings River to start appearing - or maybe a sewage spill into the river :lol:

Bloody oath it's a good feeling.

 

Nothing we do now can make us faster.  But we can definitely ruin a race from here in.  

 

The bullsharks are always in the river.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cape_Horn    176
1 hour ago, trickle said:

Have to fight the urge of building my new Ceepo Katana up to race…barely have time to build, ride and check fit etc. Am I asking for trouble?

Yes

But then again...

When does that ever stop us?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ironpo    2,839
6 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

Last big sessions done.  All downhill from here.  

Haha

my last big session will be IMOZ

should be a fun day out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×