• Other
    • I don't wear Hoka's
  2. 2. I buy my Hokas......

• Online - Overseas
    • Online - Australian Stores
    • Bricks and Mortar Store
    • Other
    • I don't wear Hoka's
  3. 3. When I need to replace my Hokas I will replace them wiith...

• The Same Model Hoka (i.e Clifton 3 with Clifton 3)
    • Newer version of same model Hoka (I.e Clifton replaced with Clifton 4)
    • Similar style shoe (Altra, Vasque, Brooks Transcend)
    • A more "mainstream" shoe
    • I don't wear Hoka's

As I've mentioned before, Sport Pursuit have been doing Hokas for a while. You have to sign up to view their site, but well worth it.

https://www.sportpursuit.com/

Few screen grabs of Hokas below to save signing up.

These guys are a outdoors/adventure clearance site & best online shopping experience I've had. Sizing can be a little limited, but if they've got what you're after, pricing is great compared with any items I've cross referenced. They kinda take pre-orders, so it can be a few weeks before order is dispatched & another couple of weeks shipping. On the plus side of the dispatch wait, you can add to an existing/open order & they'll reimburse your 2nd ,3rd etc. shipping fee(s). Also, returns are local to NSW & if you buy with PayPal, you get reimbursed any return postage costs, so really is no risk shopping. Customer service is great with fast & helpful replies.

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Edited by \m/ Moshboy \m/
  • Like 1

Ironnerd    330

I signed up to the above web site. They have the red Garmin 920XT with HRM for $375 which seems cheap.

FatPom    2,216

They aren't easy to get in the U.K. And I had to make a special trip to a running shop in Somt to have a look. Had some analysis done and was told that I really run on my toes to quite a nasty degree, which was news to me because I death shuffle these days.

Anyway, tried a few and came away with a pair of Cliftons ( not sure which version) and the wide Aharis. Kind of went with what was available as shop said they will get no more stock this year.

i rotate them and apart from the Clifton being a bit tighter in the upper, they feel similar to me. The Ahari feels lighter and more airy but in terms of cushioning I seem to get on ok with either but would probably use the Ahari for longer distance stuff. I find them easier to run a bit more relaxed than I usually do but that's probably more about my bad style than the shoe.

the clown shoe look took some getting over but I don't notice that now.

Edited by FatPom

surfer101    182
On Tuesday, June 20, 2017 at 6:31 PM, Ironnerd said:

I signed up to the above web site. They have the red Garmin 920XT with HRM for $375 which seems cheap.

Me too, great site. Thanks \Mboy/

zed    752

I've just binned my Stinsons, I reckon I got 2000kms out of them! Weren't great to run in to be honest, big and heavy, but I wasn't getting sore on my long runs at least. I've just bought some Cliftons and they are heaps better, almost 100 grams lighter than my Stinsons at 240grams and lighter than my asiscs Noosas.

Has anyone ran in the tracers at all?

Turts    1,938

Ive just ventured into cliftons and love them. 

Prior, long trail runs in stinsons, road in Valours.

KieranR    109

Do Hoka have anything wider than the Arahi Wides?  they are too narrow for me

Edited by KieranR

roxii    4,000

I have finally got into mine after some procrastinating. Ive upped my volume pretty quickly from "virtually nothing" to what will be a near 50k week in the space of about 6 weeks and my feet and legs are not too happy with backing up so I have been using the Bondis to try and give my legs a "soft" day. 

They still need some breaking in I think, as the toe box still feels a bit snug and the arch support is a bit rough. Tossing up whether to use them fo rmy long run this weekend or stick to my old favourites. 

As for that though, I'm running in Pearl Izumis and love them, the ride is super comfortable in them, but they have stopped making shoes so I need to find a new favourite. 

Limited    11

How do you go with changing shoe type, depending on distance - Say Asics to Hokas? I tried some Hokas on in the store and they felt good but wasn't sure about the difference in the rocker and if it would create any issues

zed    752
16 minutes ago, Limited said:

How do you go with changing shoe type, depending on distance - Say Asics to Hokas? I tried some Hokas on in the store and they felt good but wasn't sure about the difference in the rocker and if it would create any issues

I run differently depending on the shoes. Racing flats, higher cadence and more of a forefoot stroke whereas my Hokas slower cadence and a mid-foot strike. Much prefer running in my racing flats, feels more natural, but obviously you need the support and cushioning the Hokas offer you. It doesn't seem to matter, jumping between shoes though, you just automatically adjust. I use Hokas for training, was using noosas for 70.3+ but am now using my hyper-speeds for all races. They're only 170gms so was worried about using them in a 70.3, but they went fine in Busso. I was using my Nike Pegasus for shorter training but the Cliftons are good for most training.

Limited    11

Cheers, for that Zed, I was worried about the difference in running style and if if would have any impact

willie    608
22 hours ago, zed said:

Much prefer running in my racing flats, feels more natural, but obviously you need the support and cushioning the Hokas offer you.

No, most people don't.  You really don't need 'support' or cushioning of a Hoka if you can do all your racing in a Hyperspeed (one of my favourite shoes). Your body absorbs more shock than any shoe ever will and your muscles offer all the support most people need. 

• Like 1

Fitness Buddy    602
3 hours ago, willie said:

No, most people don't.  You really don't need 'support' or cushioning of a Hoka if you can do all your racing in a Hyperspeed (one of my favourite shoes). Your body absorbs more shock than any shoe ever will and your muscles offer all the support most people need. 

Only if those joints and muscles allow you to. The problem is most people just allow mobility and muscle strength and fatigue to become an issue rather then doing the little things to keep those areas healthy and functioning right.   Some  maybe  too late so a shoe may assist but that still doesn't stop you from applying some for of corrective exercise

zed    752
On 12/08/2017 at 9:26 AM, willie said:

Yeah I could possibly do away with the Hokas, although the Cliftons run more like a "normal" running shoe than the stinsons, they were were shit to run in. When I first started running in the hyperspeeds I couldn't make it past 3 or 4 kms without getting sore and my first 10km run in them I had bad DOMS for 2 weeks, so it's pretty unreal I can do halves in them now without any issues. There's a tri version called hyper-tri, but they're not for sale in Oz.

Since switching to more 80/20 running, I've found I have very little muscle soreness, injuries, DOMS etc despite almost doubling my mileage - 35 - 40 to 75 - 80. I can run double days whereas before I'd have to alternate run days. I rarely stretch or roll now as well, although I probably should still do this. I guess I forget because I'm not sore. I normally just stretch my calves and hammies in the shower and that's it. I've tried to encourage mates that are plagued with injuries to slow it down, but I don't think they get it. Hopefully if my run times improve, I'll be given a bit more credibility!

Edited by zed