• Other
    • I don't wear Hoka's
  2. 2. I buy my Hokas......

• Online - Overseas
    • Online - Australian Stores
    • Bricks and Mortar Store
    • Other
    • I don't wear Hoka's
  3. 3. When I need to replace my Hokas I will replace them wiith...

• The Same Model Hoka (i.e Clifton 3 with Clifton 3)
    • Newer version of same model Hoka (I.e Clifton replaced with Clifton 4)
    • Similar style shoe (Altra, Vasque, Brooks Transcend)
    • A more "mainstream" shoe
    • I don't wear Hoka's

Replied mate!  As I'd seen someone I know locally I didn't wanna be a pain in the arse to you,  otherwise you'd have been my first port of call!

Anyone have the Hupanas that can give any feedback?

I have Clifton and Clayton which I like. Looking for something more for racing, Tracers were too narrow even though my foot is pretty normal width. 

If tracers didn’t fit Hapuna won’t. They’re quite narrow. 

Go for new balance beacon. Great alternative. I stock them :P

I wore the Hupanas once and wore the skin off my little toes. So narrow in the toe box and my feet are AAA width. Anyone want a pair of blood stained Hupanas? I thought they'd be great racers but they seem pretty chunky. On Starting on a new pair of On Clouds for my next run. Look pretty good. Hoping for good things.

1 hour ago, AA7 said:

Anyone have the Hupanas that can give any feedback?

I have Clifton and Clayton which I like. Looking for something more for racing, Tracers were too narrow even though my foot is pretty normal width. 

Kinvaras

25 minutes ago, The Customer said:

I wore the Hupanas once and wore the skin off my little toes. So narrow in the toe box and my feet are AAA width. Anyone want a pair of blood stained Hupanas? I thought they'd be great racers but they seem pretty chunky. On Starting on a new pair of On Clouds for my next run. Look pretty good. Hoping for good things.

On clouds - Slow shoes IMO. Bored@ got em from me and seems to like them though 

16 minutes ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Kinvaras

Very different to the Clifton etc she mentioned... a good shoe in their own right but quite different from those mentioned.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Are there any Hokas that have the cushioning level of the old Stinson ATRs, but don't look like Crusty The Clowns shoes?

Edited by ComfortablyNumb

Run in Challengers (up to about my sixth pair and will be happier when they fix the wear problem on the sole)

Work at a standing desk for several hours a day and the Hupanas are the best most comfortable shoe I have ever worn

Interestingly I always wonder why we think we need a different shoe to race one. If the shoe you are wearing feel comfortable and you run well in them, RACE in them.  A few grams means nothing if you feel uncomfortable in them. 

Comfortable in the long run means faster 

Edited by Fitness Buddy
Previous comment may offend
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Interestingly I always wonder why we think we need a different shoe to race one. If the shoe you are wearing feel comfortable and you run well in them, RACE in them.  A few grams means nothing if you feel uncomfortable in them. 

I've been thinking that myself actually. The Hokas took a bit of getting used at first but now I really like them. I rotate through a few different brands and always look forward to putting them back on.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Fitness Buddy said:

I disagree and have evidence to back that up... 

I recently got given a pair of Sub2's from Adidas, they were so ****ing umcofortable (that I gave them away), but for the small amount of time I was wearing them, I was definitely quicker (even though I'm circa 100kgs). Same as the old asics pirahnas, they were so shitty on the feet, but were so fast that I still wore them (half mara and mara pb in them). Basically every track spike I ever wore for 5 and 10k was the same. 

Back to tri/ironman, when I do Busso later in the year I will be in the fastest shoe possible, at this stage I dare say it'll be a New Balance 1400. By far not as comfortable as a lot of others I wear, but the quickest. A little bit more discomfort means nothing at the end of the day. Especially when it means beating that old fella RBR. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, willie said:

I disagree and have evidence to back that up... 

I recently got given a pair of Sub2's from Adidas, they were so ****ing umcofortable (that I gave them away), but for the small amount of time I was wearing them, I was definitely quicker (even though I'm circa 100kgs). Same as the old asics pirahnas, they were so shitty on the feet, but were so fast that I still wore them (half mara and mara pb in them). Basically every track spike I ever wore for 5 and 10k was the same. 

Back to tri/ironman, when I do Busso later in the year I will be in the fastest shoe possible, at this stage I dare say it'll be a New Balance 1400. By far not as comfortable as a lot of others I wear, but the quickest. A little bit more discomfort means nothing at the end of the day. Especially when it means beating that old fella RBR. 

I'm still waiting for my adios.

7 hours ago, The Customer said:

I had Cloud Racers for a couple of years and liked them, except when it rained, ,,,squeak squeak squeak :lol:

I wore out the lugs on two pairs of On Cloudsurfers pretty quickly.  Less than 6 months each and only 3 to 400k at most.  Like they were ripped out making them unusable.  

Edited by goughy

7 hours ago, willie said:

All relative to the age of the athlete, the wear and tear in the athletes body and the distance of the event.

Running a 4hr marathon in a fatigued state in the final leg of an Ironman is hardly a blistering pace but will be fast enough to podium in my age group. Not many age groupers need racing shoes for that and they're deluding themselves if they think they do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, The Customer said:

All relative to the age of the athlete, the wear and tear in the athletes body and the distance of the event.

Running a 4hr marathon in a fatigued state in the final leg of an Ironman is hardly a blistering pace but will be fast enough to podium in my age group. Not many age groupers need racing shoes for that and they're deluding themselves if they think they do.

Yep 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FatPom said:

I had Cloud Racers for a couple of years and liked them, except when it rained, ,,,squeak squeak squeak :lol:

That was you squeaking.... LOL 👴

• Haha 2

The Customer, 

I've got a long and solid history of deluding myself. Started with a love letter to the hottest girl in Yr 8.

She's probably still laughing as hard now as she was that day 😕😂😂😂😂

Back to shoes. 

I like Hokas coz they're comfy. I'm constantly monitoring my body and especially my ankle, they give me peace of mind. 

I wore Newtons once. Fast to run in but the next day.... OUCH! And that was AFTER I had cut the lugs. I'm a big unit... Need cushioning. 

• Haha 1

I know earlier Bergs suggested an Arahi as an option for my GT1000/2000 wearing, but old mate at a running store up the coast suggested a Bondi B. Primarily based on my being a more ample gent.

Experts, what do you think?

(I'm happy to compromise and drink an Asahi and eat a Bondi Burger )

10 hours ago, willie said:

Very different to the Clifton etc she mentioned... a good shoe in their own right but quite different from those mentioned.

Kinvara is probably one of the most versatile shoes on the market IMO..  

The gt1000/2000 range are a support shoe aren't they?  Isn't the Bondi neutral??

Arahi II - picked up for US$117 in SF. Love 'em. I'd buy more if they were this cheap in AU. 

I love my Hokas, but I'd sooner run in Crocs than Bondis

Been jogging in Bondi 5 Hokas. Lighter but the DOMS compared to the Stinson 3 is debilitating. 

Stinson are a great shoe although big. 

Bondis..... I'll hold my judgement till I get 200km in them. Currently 100km in them. 

What are the popular neutral models?  At some stage in the next few months I'll have to replace the Bondi's of Roxii's I've been wearing.  I've actually been wearing them a lot more just in general as lately they've been feeling even more comfy.  But, I'm only walking in them, though at races I have no doubt I'll do a little running.

It seems to me that the Bondi isn't that big a favourite?  What's the issue with them?

Well, I know that!

• Haha 2

One thing I’ve noticed with pretty much all Hokas is that I lose a lot more toe nails a lot more regularly than any other brand I’ve worn. I wonder if the toe box is smaller than others? ( not talking about mid foot width).

On the plus side, I bought a pair of these insoles, zero blisters since, yay :)

https://www.superfeet.com/en-gb/insoles-and-sandals/carbon

Edited by FatPom
  • Like 1