• Other
    • I don't wear Hoka's
  2. 2. I buy my Hokas......

• Online - Overseas
    • Online - Australian Stores
    • Bricks and Mortar Store
    • Other
    • I don't wear Hoka's
  3. 3. When I need to replace my Hokas I will replace them wiith...

• The Same Model Hoka (i.e Clifton 3 with Clifton 3)
    • Newer version of same model Hoka (I.e Clifton replaced with Clifton 4)
    • Similar style shoe (Altra, Vasque, Brooks Transcend)
    • A more "mainstream" shoe
    • I don't wear Hoka's

Shuffla    221

And thanks Willie for hooking me up for the Ahari and Mrs Shuffla's Cliftons.

• Like 1

Turts    1,938

Im keen to try some cliftons. Howndo they compare on the stinson - challenger spectrum?

MissJess    276

For technical trail running, the Speed Instinct is a massive win. I just looked up Venture 5's, they look roughly like the equivalent of the Challenger, which is Hokas best selling trail shoe (also amazing). I can see any advantages of the Venture 5 over either the Speed Instinct or Challenger, but each to their own.

The challenger looks a bit too high for my liking. But I have a shit right ankle (thanks to years of skiing). The speed instinct could be a goer though, might consider it next time I need to get shoes.

rory-dognz    239

I wear Hoka now

My go to shoe was a Ascis 2000, then 2100 series then whatever it became. This was the shoe that every time I had video analysis done was recommended since about 1996. My preference is a wider fitting, but have had no issues adapting to the Hoka fit

I like running without shoes on grass/beach so went to vibrum 5 fingers when they came out and enjoyed them for short technique focused runs on soft surfaces. Never had any injury issues from them. Move to Merels minimistic shoe with the zero drop; as more socially acceptable than the V5F. Still have a pair and use occasionally on sand/soft grass.

Went to Hoka's about late 2014 to a shoe that had minimal drop (which is what I wanted) as was mainly focused on running and double run days were killing my legs (I also spent a lot of time on my feet in standard work boots). The Hoka's were great and I felt that my leg recovery was faster. I don't think I could have done the mileage I did in training in the Ascis. I then did a 100km ultra in Feb 2015 and could certainly feel the difference between training in the Hoka and the Ascis. The runs in the Hoka's felt that I recovered faster.

In April 2015 I dislocated my hip and broke the cup. While recovering on crutchers (13 weeks) I used the good leg Hoka to minimise bruising to my heal. Since then I have done most of my running in Hoka's. I still do an occasional run in the Ascis; as were near new when I had the accident, but the recovery post run is better/faster in the Hoka.

I have had no bio-mechanical issues ever running; impact issues are different, and have been very careful about what I run in over the years. I am happy with my switch to Hoka and used to the comments about old man / disabled shoes

Turts    1,938

Â

Â

The challenger looks a bit too high for my liking. But I have a shit right ankle (thanks to years of skiing). The speed instinct could be a goer though, might consider it next time I need to get shoes.Â

Really? I find them so soft (minimal) its like nothing. I cant run in them anymore. Just a day to day shoe

MissJess    276

I dunno, it just felt a lot harder to negotiate the trails at Knapsack, well the bits where there are decent sized rocks and if you plant a foot wrong...that and $200+ for a pair of shoes that don't get a lot of use.

Willie, I am also in the constants, both pairs are due to be retired at the end of the triathlon season (just building up funds) the Hoka guys suggested the Bondi 4 as the replacement - I think I was in the Bondi 2 back in 2014.

Edited by MissJess

IronmanFoz    635

Good luck with the store and I will be keeping a close eye on the website as I am in the market for new shoes.

I usually know what I want......but at the end of the day it comes down to price.

For example prior to Port last year I was at a bike shop who had Hoka's...they did not look that great.......but I had them on my feet and I thought why not. The sale rep was giving be all the reasons they were so good etc and when I said how much they couldn't come off my feet quick enough. I straight out said - sorry but I aren't paying that for a pair of shoes!

Turts    1,938

I dunno, it just felt a lot harder to negotiate the trails at Knapsack, well the bits where there are decent sized rocks and if you plant a foot wrong...that and $200+ for a pair of shoes that don't get a lot of use.

Â

Willie, I am also in the constants, both pairs are due to be retired at the end of the triathlon season (just building up funds) the Hoka guys suggested the Bondi 4 as the replacement - I think I was in the Bondi 2 back in 2014.

Interesting. I find them too pliable and hard on trails. Each to their own! But it is an expensive experiment. I have the bondi originals and rapa nuis to attest to that

Greyman    309

I got a pair of Clifton 3 and really wanted to like them, but concluded that they just don't suit my foot and running biomechanics. Doesn't mean they aren't good shoes for some people. My lesson with those - and some other makes and models - is to stick with what is comfortable and works, not necessarily what is popular. For me that is Nike shoes...all of them and especially Pegasus.

Exactly my thoughts. I wanted to like them, but they just didn't do it for me. I too liked Nike at one stage(for about12 years) until they moved their factory and their quality control went off. Forced me to look around and try some other brands. The last five years newtons have been my choice. Don't care what others say, they keep me running and that's what's important.

RunBrettRun    1,362

Been wearing Hokas since I came back from my last injury. Thus far it's been all good although I have not had a good run in a race using them yet. I do think that might be due to fitness than the shoes though.

Started with Clayton and now full time in the tracer. Have used Adidas adios and Nike lunar tempo for all distance raves and training prior to the switch and I feel the tracer is a pretty close match.

I wear them because my coach basically told me to and then without saying it basically said I told you so when I injured myself last time.

Not sure if I'll stay in them forever and I have a pair currently falling apart which is basically what I do to all my shoes before I replace them.

Maybe that's why I get injured...

Kenneth    123

Went in open minded probably start of last year and tried in store. Not sure which model, but it felt fantastic as soon as I put em on and walked around. But running in them was terrible, felt like my leg was collapsing. Didn't try a different model. Went with Saucony Triumphs which I thought were great, but they started to feel a bit soft as well. So now am really loving the Kinvara. Saucony with a wide toe box work well for me.

• Like 1

Kenneth    123

I really struggle with shoes because I run wonky.

When I first got into running I went to a Nike shop in the UK (big mistake) and they stuck me in a pair that almost crippled me.

So then I went to a running shop and they put me in a pair of Brooks Ghost 7s. It was a revelation. I ran my first Half Marathon in them (love how that distance is now just a cheeky training run), and trained and ran my first Olympic in them and then needed to replace them for a marathon. I was very sad to find very few places selling them any more so I thought I had better upgrade to the Ghost 8. Injured myself for two weeks after just 5k in them! Horrible shoe. So I then went through the process of buying up any leftover stock of Ghost 7s I could find. I've still got a couple of new pairs which I'm saving for Sydney Marathon this year...

Long term that's not going to work. So I'm currently running in a pair of Asics. I'm not in love with them but they're a lot better than the Ghost 8s.

From the sounds of it I could do with trying Hoka's but need someone knowledgeable to talk to me about which model would suit...

What would be REALLY useful is an online tool of "If you liked that then you'll like this" so people who ran well in a Ghost 7 could go and get a good suggestion for the similar shoe from other providers.

C

What size are you Monkie? I've got 2 pairs of Ghost 7 in US11.5 that I can post to you. One pair with ~200k and one with ~500k. Took 2 pairs to realise they were too narrow.

trinube    1,048

I'm too tight to spend $250 to experiment on something I might hate. If you ever have a demo day Willie I'd be happy to have a trot around in them.

Merv    119

I think the conquest is a great bang for buck shoe. US 12 size always seem to sell quickly

RunBrettRun    1,362

I'm too tight to spend $250 to experiment on something I might hate. If you ever have a demo day Willie I'd be happy to have a trot around in them.

I actually think athletes foot do something like this where you can take shoes back if you dont like them.

monkie    142

What size are you Monkie? I've got 2 pairs of Ghost 7 in US11.5 that I can post to you. One pair with ~200k and one with ~500k. Took 2 pairs to realise they were too narrow.

I'm a US 10.5 alas but thanks for the offer! :)

• Like 1

Rob    67

As for the video analysis stuff, as you say it's great if folks know how to use it and are good at looking at you as a whole, but a lot merely look at your feet. I've found that the 7 stores I been into with this, there's only 2 sales reps that were good at this process.

I had one very prominent store in NSW reccomend an adrenaline to me when I turned up wearing a Nike Terra Kiger 2 that I'd told the person I'd just run a 100km ultra in. Needless to say, I was dumbfounded.

I had a similar experience the first time I had a video analysis (from a chain of supposedly specialty run stores). They changed me out of neutral runners (Nike Pegasus) to support runners (Asics Kayano). For the next 2 years I was constantly injured. Swapped to more minimalist runners and within 6 months all injuries had gone and I had doubled my weekly mileage.

So now I look more for a 'one off store' as opposed to a chain.

roxii    4,000

If you are a 45 I can lend you a pair to try.

ewoksta    22

I hear they have started a wider version for the hoka's. I currently have NB in a 2E but it is a very wide 2E. Previously I was in the brooks adrenaline 4E but they stopped sending them to Aus. Tried Hoka's a couple of years ago and they were to narrow. After a 10k run the blisters told me so!

Wanting to try them again, but tend to stick with what I feel comfortable with.

Torn    11

I don't like to run in them, because of how the huge sole affects your running, It doesn't feel as natural and as fluid to run in as a standard running shoe or a racing flat and they're certainly not quick. But I can run long distance (20km+) in them without getting sore, so I'll continue to buy them or similar shoes.

Very similar for me.

I have a pair of Clifton2 and Infinitive. The Cliftons feel much more responsive and faster than the Infinitives but still not as fast as most of other racing shoes I've tried. But unlike the other shoes I've tried, I never get sore in Hokas.

trinube    1,048

If you are a 45 I can lend you a pair to try.

I'm normally about a 43 but it sounds like they size a bit small so 45 might be worth a shot.

willie    608

I hear they have started a wider version for the hoka's. I currently have NB in a 2E but it is a very wide 2E. Previously I was in the brooks adrenaline 4E but they stopped sending them to Aus. Tried Hoka's a couple of years ago and they were to narrow. After a 10k run the blisters told me so!

Wanting to try them again, but tend to stick with what I feel comfortable with.

If you want the wide version I don't think they come close to your NBs. Also you can get the 4e width in an Adrenalin (they might have stopped it at some point, but you can get it now).

The only thing you'll find with the wide Hoka's are they're really not that wide - well not like the 1260 2E (assuming that's what you're in) or the Adrenalin in the 4E. I'd stick to those for now, hopefully Hoka bring out a super wide in a couple of models for those that have uber wide feet.

• Like 1

truck    229

Bit of a late adopter here and bought a pair of Bondi's about 5 weeks ago as an experiment. Tried about 6 different models out with a few short runs first.

Bit of background; over pronate, have worn orthotics for ~15yrs, typically choose neutral shoes (Brooks Ghost, Mizuno Waverider etc plus a range of trail shoes), go for 8-12mm drop. Running wise I tend to hit 1.33-1.35 for a 1/2 off a hard bike in a HIM, low cadence runner (long legs) and typically around 70kgs.

Problem I'm trying to sort out is that I tend to get sore feet after 15-18kms so ok for a 1/2 but never really delivered over a marathon - orthotics are definitely part of it but I thought I might as well try something different.

Done the conversion really slowly so lots of 4 and 5k runs, never consecutive days. First few runs noticed some tightness around my ankles as the feet adjusted but nothing else of significance. At the moment I'm definitely a convert - I find them so easy and comfortable to run in and what's surprised me the most is that, despite not being run fit at the moment, I'm running much quicker than I think I should be at this point in training.

• Like 1

surfer101    182

Ive been in Brooks Defyance as a nuetral shoe, maybe the Bondi is better for me instead of the trail pair Ive got

Edited by surfer101