ironpo

So ROG tells us about the MKC camp in Kona

So rog you went on the first ever matt koorey (mjk from here) coaching camp to Kona , how'd you go

Looks like you guys had a blast and all were abit weary by the end of the seven days?

Was it too far to go for just a week ?

And how good is Kona when it isn't full of Tri wankers ?

Pity you didn't get around other parts of the island or did you ?

Would you recommend this camp to others ?

Did you see the P5x that lives there riding around ?

How good are the Kona sunsets?

Where did you stay ?

Did you eat enough pizza?

What did you take from the week from the great MJK?

How good is it living the life of a pro athlete , train , eat , sleep repeat ? So much more enjoyable with out having to throw work into the mix

Yeah I interested in how it was.

Personally I would have been frothing at the mouth being over there training etc. Mind you I would froth at the mouth spending a week training with MKC in any location.

Rog is currently too busy sifting through all his Holiday snaps to create a best of the best Kona collage for his FB profile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Epic week, almost 30hrs of training.

I'm crazy busy today but will try and come back to this a bit later.

Edited by Rog
  • Like 6

So rog you went on the first ever matt koorey (mjk from here) coaching camp to Kona , how'd you go

So, MJK, how was it putting up with Rog for a week?

• Like 2

Rog, like to hear about the breakdown of the week. How many km's, what was the focus for most sessions? Did you do anything very different from what you're used to? Cheers.

So, MJK, how was it putting up with Rog for a week?

would not have been an issue, they are besties. Hang out in the fast lane with matching paddles etc. From my observations they don't talk but somehow communicate like fish ... assume it was the same on the big island.

Hey Rog. How was the walk home from the airport ?

Rog, like to hear about the breakdown of the week. How many km's, what was the focus for most sessions? Did you do anything very different from what you're used to? Cheers.

p5s don't breakdown :)

Epic week, almost 30hrs of training.

Add another couple of hrs for the week and do it for 12 plus weeks , then you can hang out with me at Ultraman
  • Like 1

Great work Matty. I know you are not one to overly promote yourself, but you should on here. You are well known and well respected. Hence you should highlight (advertise) future tours here and provide reports - its always a great read from you. And you keep it real! - No bullshit or sugar coating.

• Like 4

p5s don't breakdown :)

Lol...well, Rog's P5 did breakdown as he started packing it.

He stripped multiple handle-bar bolts (and completely buggered the aerobars), and brought his roadie instead. ;-)

Great work Matty. I know you are not one to overly promote yourself, but you should on here. You are well known and well respected. Hence you should highlight (advertise) future tours here and provide reports - its always a great read from you. And you keep it real! - No bullshit or sugar coating.

Thanks mate. Appreciated.

No self promo/advertising zone. Lol.

Did this have anything to do with the child molester? If so very disappointing.

No.

I've had to unfollow a member on here's Instagram because there was just too much idolising and participation with that grub. Sad.

Did this have anything to do with the child molester? If so very disappointing.

So given the answer is NO what are your thoughts. The opposite of disappointing I would guess.

Matts a great coach and I think any insights from him for free are worth having a look at IMO.

Edited by Mjainoz

Im the "boss" here and I wholeheartedly agree.

A Tranny tour would be fun!

• Like 3

Im the "boss" here and I wholeheartedly agree.

A Tranny tour would be fun!

Should we do up an old bus, and frock off to the red centre?

• Like 1

:lol:

Certainly daaaaahling!

I always suspected there was something weird about you

First of all, what can I say.... I REALLY am a lucky guy.

Matt invited me to help him with the camp a few months ago. He asked me if I’d like to come over and help him capture the week, and create a bit of quality material that could be used to promote future versions of the camp.

Now of course when I got invited all I wanted to say was **** YEAH but honestly, I was a bit nervous about it all.

I usually put a lot of pressure on and have high expectations of myself, and video/photo stuff is not something that I do for a living, so I knew I was going to be out of my comfort zone. To top that, when the invite came through my wife was pregnant with our second child so travelling around late Feb would mean leaving her with a 8 week old baby AND a 3yo to look after by herself.

To her credit, when I told about Matty’s invite the second thing she said to me is you have to go! The first thing she said was that I was lying :D

Fast forward to late February and before I knew we were landing in Kona for the beginning of the camp. It was a mix of excitement and fear, and also a bit of doubt as to whether I was going to be able to deliver on Matt’s investment.

I knew this wasn’t going to be a tourist’s camp, but I wasn’t too worried about it as I’ve been to Kona before and as much as I’d like to say the place is magical and what not, it is unlikely that it will make the top 10 places I’ve visited in my lifetime.

Still, it is the Big Island of Hawaii and a pretty cool place to train for the tri geeks amongst us.

Prior to the camp I’d been training relatively consistently, with a few gaps here and there due to the changes brought about by having a newborn in the house.

I was probably averaging around 10-12hours per week, sometimes a bit less but definitely never more than that. We ended up with about 28-29hrs worth of work by the end of the week, and the incredible thing about it is that no one was actually falling apart or feeling ridiculously tired.

I think that alone says a lot about Matt’s sustainable approach to training, where intensity is carefully and sporadically inserted throughout the week, with just enough of it to keep you moving forward but not too much that it will set you back.

The group that signed up for the camp was great. We were all from very different backgrounds and abilities, and mostly no one knew each other, but by the end of the week you could think that we’ve all been mates for a long time. It was a very encouraging and inclusive group, and I’d like to think we have all created great friendships that will last way beyond our week living together.

I have to say there wasn’t much I didn’t like about my week in Kona with Matt.

It was great having him around for the training sessions, but even better to be able to sit down and have a coffee with him, and listen to the stories of yesteryear, his training ideas, principles and reasoning behind the stuff that he practices and preaches.

It was also pretty eye opening observe the little choices he makes everyday, from eating to training, and to his overall attitude.

It is not a coincidence that he performs the way he does despite being a grumpy old bastard.

So all in all not only an awesome week of training in tri geek's heaven but also a lot of learning and shared experiences on the go.

• Like 7

Lol...'Grumpy old bastard'.

I only fired up about 3x the whole trip, Rog.

That was a very big effort for me.

I just hope my best regards were passed on to that King K bloke, just down from the Hawi turnaround, as I requested. ;-)

I just hope my best regards were passed on to that King K bloke, just down from the Hawi turnaround, as I requested. ;-)

That statue is Arwsome

Did u read the actual storie of the statue itself?

First of all, what can I say.... I REALLY am a lucky guy.

Matt invited me to help him with the camp a few months ago. He asked me if I’d like to come over and help him capture the week, and create a bit of quality material that could be used to promote future versions of the camp.

Now of course when I got invited all I wanted to say was **** YEAH but honestly, I was a bit nervous about it all.

I usually put a lot of pressure on and have high expectations of myself, and video/photo stuff is not something that I do for a living, so I knew I was going to be out of my comfort zone. To top that, when the invite came through my wife was pregnant with our second child so travelling around late Feb would mean leaving her with a 8 week old baby AND a 3yo to look after by herself.

To her credit, when I told about Matty’s invite the second thing she said to me is you have to go! The first thing she said was that I was lying :D

Fast forward to late February and before I knew we were landing in Kona for the beginning of the camp. It was a mix of excitement and fear, and also a bit of doubt as to whether I was going to be able to deliver on Matt’s investment.

I knew this wasn’t going to be a tourist’s camp, but I wasn’t too worried about it as I’ve been to Kona before and as much as I’d like to say the place is magical and what not, it is unlikely that it will make the top 10 places I’ve visited in my lifetime.

Still, it is the Big Island of Hawaii and a pretty cool place to train for the tri geeks amongst us.

Prior to the camp I’d been training relatively consistently, with a few gaps here and there due to the changes brought about by having a newborn in the house.

I was probably averaging around 10-12hours per week, sometimes a bit less but definitely never more than that. We ended up with about 28-29hrs worth of work by the end of the week, and the incredible thing about it is that no one was actually falling apart or feeling ridiculously tired.

I think that alone says a lot about Matt’s sustainable approach to training, where intensity is carefully and sporadically inserted throughout the week, with just enough of it to keep you moving forward but not too much that it will set you back.

The group that signed up for the camp was great. We were all from very different backgrounds and abilities, and mostly no one knew each other, but by the end of the week you could think that we’ve all been mates for a long time. It was a very encouraging and inclusive group, and I’d like to think we have all created great friendships that will last way beyond our week living together.

I have to say there wasn’t much I didn’t like about my week in Kona with Matt.

It was great having him around for the training sessions, but even better to be able to sit down and have a coffee with him, and listen to the stories of yesteryear, his training ideas, principles and reasoning behind the stuff that he practices and preaches.

It was also pretty eye opening observe the little choices he makes everyday, from eating to training, and to his overall attitude.

It is not a coincidence that he performs the way he does despite being a grumpy old bastard.

So all in all not only an awesome week of training in tri geek's heaven but also a lot of learning and shared experiences on the go.

Great stuff mate

Welll done and top notch write up :-)

Still a young little upstart in my eyes :).

But also prone to grumpiness :).

Edited by Mjainoz

That statue is Arwsome

Did u read the actual storie of the statue itself?

Lol. Mate, you don't know me well enough.

I kindly knocked back the suggestion to pay homage and said we are turning around and heading back to Kona, please give the King my best wishes.

I didn't bother to ride on a bit further and see the statue.

I was more concerned with everyone's legs turning to wood because we had already been stopped for 10-minutes at Hawi.

My idea of training camp is training, not playing tourist. ;-)

Yep...totally something to consider for anyone looking to get involved with what I do.

I tried the 'tourist' mindset thing on Day Minus 1 of Training Camp when we ran in the nature reserve, and I am sitting here with a toe that has gotten worse over 10 days, not better, and I'm pretty sure is broken.

After that, I gave myself an uppercut, and promised myself we would stay 'the course' (the Hawaii Ironman one, at that).

• Like 2

So what day will the run be in one of the national parks on the next Kona MJK camp??

Lol

• Like 1

Not much mention of the swim. Was the training in the pool or in the ocean (Dig Me Beach) or a combination of both.

All of the above, plus a bit around the pier as well.

Not much mention of the swim. Was the training in the pool or in the ocean (Dig Me Beach) or a combination of both.

I just added it up.

6h of swimming, in 8 days.

Probably 50% pool and ocean time.

It's all on FB if you want to find it. We covered much of the camp goings-on.

EXACTLY

MJK has been the crux of my change in approach and the subsequent positive returns in regards to my training.

More upper cuts, less pats on the back [emoji106]

• Like 1

This is what he looks like MJK

Maybe take a swim next time

Great spot for food across the road I think that is what he is point at lolc52beba387ba1fe7f6c51b4ae145e018.jpgc5b9d5cccf10af4f167518b99b5bb3f3.jpg

• Like 1