Peter

New IRONMAN rules. okay I'm confused and zipper gate is back

Now I'm no longer a TO and I will admit it's been a few years since I did a half. But when did a yellow become a stop go? now changed to a stop 1 minute then go.

Also what colour sends you to a bin?

but it's okay to race with your phone

IRONMAN: What changes to the competition rules were made for the 2017 season?

Jimmy Riccitello: We only made small changes to the rules for the upcoming season, and nothing substantive. The primary changes are as follows:

Yellow card penalties will change from a stop-and-go to a one-minute stop-and-go penalty.The goal is to standardize the time that athletes cited for a yellow card rule violation spend in the penalty tent on the bike course or served on the spot while on the run course.

Bicycles with disc brakes are now allowed globally in all non-drafting middle and long distance triathlons, including IRONMAN and IRONMAN 70.3 events.

In an effort to better define the rule prohibiting bare torsos during the bike and run, and to align with the global standard, uniforms with a front zipper must not be undone below the point of the end of the breastbone (sternum). If not remedied promptly, athletes will be issued a disqualification.

With athlete safety in mind, we've amended the rule prohibiting the use of communication devices. The rule now prohibits athletes from using communication devices in any unsafe or distractive manner. We understand and appreciate how technology is evolving the sport of triathlon, however, the use of technology in any distractive manner is grounds for disqualification. For example, a “distractive manner” could include, but is not limited to, making and receiving phone calls, sending and receiving text messages, playing music, using social media, and taking photographs.

Originally from: http://ap.ironman.com/triathlon/news/articles/2017/02/know-the-rules-for-2017.aspx#ixzz4ZwNxEUWa

When you look into the rules further it states

(d) Running with a bare torso is prohibited. Athletes must wear a shirt, jersey, or sport-top at all times during the run segment of the Race; (1:00 Minute Stop-and-Go Time Penalty, DSQ if not remedied promptly)

(e) Uniforms with a front zip must not be undone below the point of the end of the breastbone (sternum); (DSQ if not remedied promptly)

My question is for females - if you wear a tri suit with a front zip can you pull it down to your waist if you have a sports-top?

My question is for females - if you wear a tri suit with a front zip can you pull it down to your waist if you have a sports-top?

Or men, if you have a hair suit?

• Like 2

I don't see anything wrong with that idea at all...

• Like 1

Wonder if taking photos would extend to GoPros?

My guess is it would. Otherwise there'd be so much bad publicity from athletes recording others drafting and sharing the video evidence.

Wonder if taking photos would extend to GoPros?

I got a DQ at at race recently after being sent in wrong direction by a Marshal. The Head Ref told me I could only prove it happened with video evidence LOL. Ironman are never at fault.

Edited by The Customer

With athlete safety in mind, we've amended the rule prohibiting the use of communication devices. The rule now prohibits athletes from using communication devices in any unsafe or distractive manner. We understand and appreciate how technology is evolving the sport of triathlon, however, the use of technology in any distractive manner is grounds for disqualification. For example, a “distractive manner” could include, but is not limited to, making and receiving phone calls, sending and receiving text messages, playing music, using social media, and taking photographs.

I DONT like this rule change at all

Will be very dangerous with all the dickheads on there PHs

They can't get drafting under control how is any TO gunna make a call (no pun intended) on this

Also if your not gunna be texting , talking on the ph , listening to music or useing FB WTF have you got your ph there for anyways

Also as BB said you can draft your arse off and get a 1 min penalty but in zipp ur suit and a DQ

WTF

• Like 1

Australia will make their own rules. They always have before.

Can't see why not now.

They will ban all devices for sure.

The rule now prohibits athletes from using communication devices in any unsafe or distractive manner.

I'd like to understand how having a phone (acting as a camera) permanently mounted to your bars, or under your seat is distractive. I can't see how they can ban them being used like that if that is the rule.

I blame it all on Strava. How many triathletes are going to be carrying their phone simply to put a live feed upload to Strava from all the gadgets on their bike.

Standby for an exponential growth in the "wank factor" in the sport.

• Like 1

Standby for an exponential growth in the "wank factor" in the sport.

Impossible!!!!!

That's

Ike saying mt Everest double in size overnite

• Like 2

Don't like it, don't do triathlon like so many other people are doing.

Get rid of all these who cares rules, take the sport back to basics, drain the swamp of the nanny state endorsers.

#maketriathlongreatagain

Be good to run a fly 6 on the rear and record drafters.

Potential DQ for doing so according to above. When you are building brand, you don't want evidence of cheating made public, evidence of incompetent officials made public nor evidence it is not a level playing field for all competitors with rules applied to some but not others. especially where prize money and prizes are involved.

I was in a race one year where the winners got dq'd due to potential official mistake and to shut them up, they still got prize money.

• Like 1

The other thing I don't get, and it's already a widely held view that triathletes can't ride bikes compared to cyclists..... is why they can't run with headphones.

You have a running event like blackmores in Sydney where you are fighting for pavement space at the start to put your foot down and headphones are ok yet in a triathlon where the numbers are tens of thousands less, a thousand times easier to run with a bucket more space and you can't wear headphones. Challenge did it for years and nobody got abducted by aliens. Wether you like headphones or not it just reeks of nanny state for zero valid reaso other than to give someone a power trip on authority.

Wether you like headphones or not it just reeks of nanny state for zero valid reason other than to give someone a power trip on authority.

98% of stuff you say on this site is shit. But I'll give you this one.

You are totally right.

Edited by Peter

The other thing I don't get, and it's already a widely held view that triathletes can't ride bikes compared to cyclists..... is why they can't run with headphones.

You have a running event like blackmores in Sydney where you are fighting for pavement space at the start to put your foot down and headphones are ok yet in a triathlon where the numbers are tens of thousands less, a thousand times easier to run with a bucket more space and you can't wear headphones. Challenge did it for years and nobody got abducted by aliens. Wether you like headphones or not it just reeks of nanny state for zero valid reaso other than to give someone a power trip on authority.

Music is an aid.

It's also unsafe if someone is trying to pass.

Music is an aid.

Whilst running?

If you struggle to pass someone whilst running due to them wearing headphones it suggest you have the issue not them.

• Like 1

Whilst running?

If you struggle to pass someone whilst running due to them wearing headphones it suggest you have the issue not them.

Yes. Music whilst running is an aid.

No - the person with the earphones doesn't hear other runners, TO calls etc. It's a safety factor.

for zero valid reaso other than to give someone a power trip on authority.

It's almost as bad as some people taking seats on boards in the sport and completely ripping the culture and goodwill out of segments of it to run their own personal agenda valued on nothing but their own madness or for their own benefit...

... almost

Â

Â

Yes. Â Music whilst running is an aid.Â

Â

No - the person with the earphones doesn't hear other runners, TO calls etc. Â It's a safety factor.

I disagree.

Music is an aid.

So is someone beating a drum on the sideline re the aid. So is a watch with a timer or heart rate monitor. It's illogical if fair for everybody.

Maybe arguable on the bike but not the run. It's proven in running festivals and challenge to be safe.

It's almost as bad as some people taking seats on boards in the sport and completely ripping the culture and goodwill out of segments of it to run their own personal agenda valued on nothing but their own madness or for their own benefit...

... almost

Not sure about the madness bit but own benefit will definitely be a perception to some...... and it use to go further to gratis handouts......... you just have to hope that a few good people put their hands up that don't have self interest, it does happen that good people step up, I've seen it first hand, a number of times, seen thousands of dollars put back into the sport through good people just asking questions.

So is someone beating a drum on the sideline  re the aid. So is a watch with a timer or heart rate monitor. It's illogical if fair for everybody.Â

Â

Maybe arguable on the bike but not the run. Â It's proven in running festivals and challenge to be safe.

But everyone could hear the beating drum on sideline so that evens the playing field.

But everyone could hear the beating drum on sideline so that evens the playing field.

Yes that's the point, that's allowed as how do we stop the spectator doing that, and everyone can train to heart rate, or a time going beep on their watch. Power on the bike helps a mentally challenged athlete that can't control their race day just sit on a spot to enhance their performance - and that really is a gift to the cashed up athletes that the bloke on financial struggle street is never going to buy.

Not saying it needs to be fair, it never will be, just do away with restrictive rules, rules that are hypocracy to other things that are allowed, rules that are hypocracy to proven fact, rules that have crept into the sport, rules that see people go I'm not doing triathlon,

drain the swamp, let's see an ironman sell out again day one, lets see IM not have to give away 10 spots to Kona to get entries from the tragics, let's see 4 Kurnell rather than two, lets see people able to turn the tv on and watch triathlon instead of footy. Take the sport back to basics when it was kicking goals. We've seen Macca step up and bring back something from when the sport was great and get some tv coverage, if only pay and not free to air, let's give someone like him the keys to the sport.... at least he has a dig in the right direction.

#maketriathlongreatagain

Edited by Oompa Loompa
  • Like 1

Yes. Music whilst running is an aid.

No - the person with the earphones doesn't hear other runners, TO calls etc. It's a safety factor.

I'm sorry but runners already dont listen and here is simply NO safety issue, esp with the real fact as pointed out MUCH bigger events have zero problems with music and headphones.

Yes on the bike headphones are a dumb idea but run? Nope. Perfectly fine. Music on a run can be an aid but frankly... dont care. Let em run with music.

If I was dictactor, the first two things I'd change is wetsuits legal in all events until 26C and headphones on the run. Followed by allowing whatever the hell you want to wear as long as it covers the torso.

I have carried my phone before in an IM, I did it so that my family could track me and come and cheer at the critical point. Not stand there being bored for 1/2 hour or so when i might ride past. The know when to come down to the finish line. They just used map my phone? to track me.

I think that this may replace the tracking gthat fails regularly. You install an ap that sends a signal to WTC every 5 min and they have it available on there website. Got to be the most cost effective way of making the whole package entertainment for the fans. End of the race you uninstall the ap and Wanda tracks you for life.

Anyone who does that should also have a forward facing camera. Otherwise it's possible that the person with the rear facing camera could draft their ass off and come away scott free whilst simultaneously shaming those drafting behind them.

Might also catch out those without zippers done up (whatever the reason for that rule might be - trail run events seem to go ok without a covered torso rule)

Might also catch out those without zippers done up (whatever the reason for that rule might be - trail run events seem to go ok without a covered torso rule)

Please tell me why theres a rule that the torso has to be covered when running? I get that covering up helps protect against gravel rash/cuts etc if youre unlucky enough to come off your bike but whats the reason on the run?

I totally agree that headphones are an aid... hitting the wall in a marathon... put on some Hard House.

But so what? Triathlon is full of aids... if you can afford a $15,000 bike rather than my $1,250 one then that's a HELLUVA aid compared to listening to some tunes...