Sign in to follow this  
Ironnerd

Kona Legacy Lottery

How many Ironman races will that make for you Ironnerd?

13 x IMWA.

I didn't apply after 12 as I knew that I could not go in 2017 as my son will be doing his year 12 exams in Oct/Nov 2017.

Do you really understand the implications to the bottom line of what you just wrote? With IM races not selling out, how else are they going to get the numbers up? It's that bloody big carrot that you just keep paying for.

I think they are still going strong in USA etc

Just not selling out here , mostly due to the bloddy cost

I think they are still going strong in USA etc

Just not selling out here , mostly due to the bloddy cost

Nope numbers are down in the USA. IM North Carolina, one of Canada races gone & Los Cabos had less than 400 people complete the full.

Nope numbers are down in the USA. IM North Carolina, one of Canada races gone & Los Cabos had less than 400 people complete the full.

Really

I didn't know that

Los Cabos would be a good spot to get a KQ then

Why did you have to pay $54732us to enter that last race you did over there

Was it sold out because it was all down hill and a PD course?

Gotcha, thanks.

And i agree. Thats just taking advantage. Rewards those that had 12 wen they started but screws anyone coming later

Not quite correct.

When the Legacy program started they weren't taking athletes who had done done 12. They prioritised those who had done more than the minimum, those who had grafted away for years having completed 16, maybe 18, often without any hope or intention of ever qualifying for Kona.

These were the athletes who enjoyed Ironman for the the love of the sport, year in, year out, without the 12 finishes and a "backdoor" to Kona as a motivator.

My understanding is that over the years they have worked the way down the "waitlist" based on two criteria; number of IM finishes and number of years applying for the Legacy programme.

I never heard of anyone getting in with just 12 in the first few years, so in a way it is much the same as it was, with the only real difference being athletes who are applying with 12 are being given a timeframe as to when they can expect to go.

For the first crop of Legacy athletes the programme was probably nothing more than a thought bubble 3 to 5 years from fruition when they had completed 12.

• Like 1

Not quite correct.

When the Legacy program started they weren't taking athletes who had done done 12. They prioritised those who had done more than the minimum, those who had grafted away for years having completed 16, maybe 18, often without any hope or intention of ever qualifying for Kona.

Paul is right , the first year of the legacy - 2012 - they took the first 100 with the most IM , I had the most of all the first year - 28

BC

• Like 2

They don't do it based on the number of finishes any more. Basically it is a wait list. When you enter it is date & time stamped. The order is determined by the date stamp. As people go off the top of the list year to year you move up the list. When you enter they will give you an estimated year based on the current list they have but will also tell you they may offer it to you earlier. Some people may pass on the year they are offered & they retain their spot on the list

Really

I didn't know that

Los Cabos would be a good spot to get a KQ then

Why did you have to pay $54732us to enter that last race you did over there

Was it sold out because it was all down hill and a PD course?

It's one of the most popular races in the US. Great location & the people are really chilled. I payed a shit tin of $$ to enter a sold out race because I wanted to race with a couple of my best mates. It had nothing to do with the location or course.

• Like 1

A few negatives re: Ironman using the lottery as a bit of a cash cow. Who cares - they are a business and it's a clever initiative. Kills two birds with 1 stone in that it both lines their own pockets and let's some of us achieve something they may not have done otherwise.

I will have done 25 Ironmans this year and to be honest I do it because of the personal achievement it provides and the ongoing lifestyle benefits it also provides including meeting people I would not normally have met, travel and fitness all of which I hope continues for a long time to come. I was close to Kona qualifying a few times ( I call 10-15 minutes close :) ) but not to be.

Like Big Chris, Mr Flower, Dave T and others, I got a first round legacy lottery spot in 2012.

It was fantastic and would do it again in a heart beat and am forever greatful to Ironman for providing the opportunity.

I hope Ironman continue that offering.

Remember - ironman is also a business after all.

• Like 6

I will have done 25 Ironmans this year .

Gee and it's only march

Maybe you can give mr mergler a few tips on how to get em done

• Like 1

Gee and it's only march

Maybe you can give mr mergler a few tips on how to get em done

Correct ... Doing my 25th ( overall ) this year! I think you knew what I meant but love the comment. I will find Mr Mergler on May 8 and explain how I was able to do 1 in a row!

• Like 1

I will find Mr Mergler on May 8 and explain how I was able to do 1 in a row!

Lol

That's one of the best comments I've read for ages on here

25 ironmans. That's a lot of cash.

Please tell me they have been all over and not just Aussie races.

Nearly 50 in our house

I don't want to do the sums?

Nearly 50 in our house

I don't want to do the sums?

Yeah but you are worth about 22 million. So no issues.

He works in IT. I do as well and I am only at Ironman 20. Next objective is Boston Marathon if my knee comes good. You should have stayed in IT Pete. That is where the money is :-)

It's not the entry fees it's the accomodation that's the killer.

Anyway... it's as follows:

MMM 1992 The old guys will remember this one. And yes....I include this not Ironman branded event.

NZ 1994

NZ 2000

AUS/Forster 1995 - 2005 (11)

China 2008

AUS 2010 - 2016 (7) with 2017 planned

Hawaii 2012

WA 2013

Remember when I first did Forster in 1995 the entry fee was $195:00!!!! How things have changed

• Like 2

He works in IT. I do as well and I am only at Ironman 20. Next objective is Boston Marathon if my knee comes good. You should have stayed in IT Pete. That is where the money is :-)

I don;t like clouds

MMM 1992 The old guys will remember this one. And yes....I include this not Ironman branded event.

NZ 1994

NZ 2000

China 2008

Hawaii 2012

WA 2013

Remember when I first did Forster in 1995 the entry fee was $195:00!!!! How things have changed

MMM jealous as.

NZ 1994

NZ 2000

China 2008

Hawaii 2012

WA 2013

We mustn't measure the value of a life by what it cost you in dollars - if this is the path you choose to travel what's the cost matter - as long as you can manage it - a lot of people earn a lot of money and at the end of a decade have nothing to show for it - I know some who have a big gut, high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, arthritis and high cholesterol - and they probably spent the same as I have in the past ten years on Ironman races and travel :scared:

Doing MMM in 1992 was a once only experience, we didn't realise it at the time - it had the biggest drop out rate of any race I have done in 30yrs :sleepy:

• Like 2

Doing MMM in 1992 was a once only experience, we didn't realise it at the time - it had the biggest drop out rate of any race I have done in 30yrs :sleepy:

That because you keep picking easy races like Port and Busso.

You should go to France or wales and have a crack.

You'd still win your age group.

Al, you need to get out more. ;) Barkley Marathon perhaps? :pokey:

Yes, the MMM was a great race but for a lucky few it wasn't a one-off. The '92 edition was a resurrection of the event held a couple times in the mid '80s.

Al, you need to get out more. ;) Barkley Marathon perhaps? :pokey:

Yes, the MMM was a great race but for a lucky few it wasn't a one-off. The '92 edition was a resurrection of the event held a couple times in the mid '80s.

As if AP would do Barkley Marathons.

That would involve doing something other than Ironman against the same guys year in year out.

He is the king of Ironman in Australia for his AG.

As if AP would do Barkley Marathons.

That would involve doing something other than Ironman against the same guys year in year out.

He is the king of Ironman in Australia for his AG.

He's a chance! The Barkley race director always chooses one runner who really shouldn't be there. :devil2:

But, yeah, no way I would have a crack at it either.

I didn't get a Lottery spot or the Port Mac lottery spot for Kona so IM can get stuffed.

I'm now looking to off load some accommodation.

Port Pacific Resort

1 bedroom self contained facing the river

4th to the 9th - 5 nights at $245 a night.

PM me if your keen

He's a chance! The Barkley race director always chooses one runner who really shouldn't be there. :devil2:

But, yeah, no way I would have a crack at it either.

So you're saying I have a chance too?

We mustn't measure the value of a life by what it cost you in dollars - if this is the path you choose to travel what's the cost matter - as long as you can manage it - a lot of people earn a lot of money and at the end of a decade have nothing to show for it - I know some who have a big gut, high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, arthritis and high cholesterol - and they probably spent the same as I have in the past ten years on Ironman races and travel :scared:

Totally agree Al and that's why I will keep on keeping on with Ironman races.

MMM was in 85' (won by Dragon) and then in 86 (won by Tinley) or the other way round.

Mark Pringle reincarnated it on 8 Nov 92.

''Twas my first and worst. My crank on my bike fell off at 9km and kept falling off all day and had 2 flats. I spent a lot of time rolling and waiting for mechanics and suffered major ITB problems on the run and pretty much walked the marathon. When I finish hardly anyone left around.

I think..... 143 starters 80 odd finishers. I was 9th last (15:02). Learnt a lot that day and never been close to being that slow again..... but I rate it one of my greatest achievements - I was given lemons all day and turned each one into lemonade!!!!

• Like 1

I was close to Kona qualifying a few times ( I call 10-15 minutes close :) ) but not to be.

Like Big Chris, Mr Flower, Dave T and others, I got a first round legacy lottery spot in 2012.

It was fantastic and would do it again in a heart beat and am forever greatful to Ironman for providing the opportunity.

I hope Ironman continue that offering.

When it comes to qualifying for Kona 10-15 minutes is nothing. Over 25 races it's just unlucky that you didn't get your KQ Spot.

But it wouldn't really matter if you were 5 minutes or 5 hours short of qualifying, Legacy gives the ones who were genuinely interested in the sport the opportunity to go to the 'big dance' when they thought it may be out of reach, and it really did fit with IM's philosophy of anything is possible.

I never had anywhere near enough IM's under my belt to get a Legacy spot, but I think it was a great concept. To see the Legacy guys there in 2012 experiencing the race and everything that goes with it was brilliant.

Edited by Go Easy
  • Like 1