Supamau

Ironman AG Champ Gets 4yr Doping Ban

Well ironman testing is working.

Im surprised. I was always told age groupers did dope.

Just masters cyclists.

Brilliant:

Quote:

WTC, I implore you to triple the number of referees on course to make the race fair for everyone and to hold those people accountable who violate the rules we all have agreed to. This will level the playing field, and allow those of us who want to race clean a fair shot at the coveted Kona prize. Without making this change, you are turning a blind eye to the cheating which is ruining the sport we all love.

someone on the slowtwitch forum pointed out this from 2014.......

ah the irony

https://www.change.org/p/world-triathlon-corporation-wtc-stop-illegal-drafting-at-all-ironman-events

Brilliant. Spitting the dummy because someone is cheating more than you. LOL

Glad she got done. Now they just need to catch all the other cheaters in my age group and I'll be happy. LOL

:clap: Guess she decided to join the ranks of cheaters!

Love the quote!

Drafting provides an advantage akin to taking performance enhancing drugs.

Edited by MissJess

Wtc should really bad drug cheats from kona once their ban is finished.

Can still do other races. Just no world champs.

Given its their race and they can and do pick and select who races.

Its do able.

I thought she was reported by her coach. Most of the age groupers are being caught are targeted tests (not random) after tip offs.

I thought she was reported by her coach. Most of the age groupers are being caught are targeted tests (not random) after tip offs.

They are testing a lot of people that finish up high but not at e vent. Weeks or months later.

Finishing high gets you on the target list to potentially get tested later.

:clap: Guess she decided to join the ranks of cheaters!

Drafting provides an advantage akin to taking performance enhancing drugs.

Love the quote!

Obviously not quite akin, as she managed to beat all the drafters this time.

Well she did warn she was going to do something about it.

"The drafting at IM Florida on November 2nd was so blatantly obvious that I felt compelled to try and do something about it."

• Like 2

They are testing a lot of people that finish up high but not at e vent. Weeks or months later.

Finishing high gets you on the target list to potentially get tested later.

From the slowtwits article - dobbed in

"Kate Mittelstadt, Director of the IRONMAN Anti-Doping Program, said, “We applaud the decisions of the athlete support personnel to step forward, first to report Ms. Balogh’s use with disregard to their advice, and also for the conviction to include anti-doping awareness in their coaching. They each recognized the importance of honoring their obligations under the anti-doping rules and cooperated with IRONMAN’s investigation.”

Be interesting to know what went on inside her head. Was she taking them all along, and was so up herself she still made that complaint letter to WTC, or she really did go down that path thinking she was levelling the playing field.

Either way it's stupid for anyone to do this, let alone an AGer.

People drink and drive, take heroin, down pills unknown to them at raves, do heaps of stupid things to get their fix. To someone like me (and many many of us here) my fix was just doing it. Her fix is doing it better than others, and the adulation that brings (even if it's from her own group/social group etc). Many of these people won't even think they've done something wrong; they just 'happened' to get caught. Joey Johns took drugs for much of his career to 'handle' the pressure and is still considered an immortal and one of the greatest ever. So sometimes, regardless, it works. Sometimes they think anyone good is doing it so why shouldn't they.

If you ask me, this is all about the image being at the best brought. Because if this was about being the best for herself and no one else, then you wouldn't have a 'need' to cheat, cause being the best for yourself doesn't require any cheating...... This is all about stature and image.

• Like 1

Keyboard hero's. Have a coffee and say it to her face.

It's not her fault if...

He mum gave it to her or

She eat contaminated meat or

Her salt tablets were wrong or

Someone spiked her water bottle in T1

• Like 1

The way it reads is that she wasnt even taking great measures to be discreet about it. Either she was part of a group doing the same or just didnt care or think it as wrong.

• Like 1

They were probably growing on her testes!

So she was warned they would dobb her in but she continued to dope regardless ? She might need to go to testosterone rehab to get off it.

Keyboard hero's. Have a coffee and say it to her face.

It's not her fault if...

He mum gave it to her or

She eat contaminated meat or

Her salt tablets were wrong or

Someone spiked her water bottle in T1

So many ways to be framed - even back to Spencer Smiths day - he ate a Belgian beef steak and it was full of steroids :shocking:

It's even infiltrated the gentle art of fly-fishing.

Bloody Kiwis are putting some sort of steroid in the water. Just look at the size of these pluckas!

I'm going over again at Easter :shy:

NZTrout_zpsxfxgsuvb.jpg

• Like 1

The AG winner of IM Busselton 2016 has also had all of his results removed from the Ironman website, as well as 3rd place in the same AG (30-34). Names / results still up on multisport???

PM sent

The AG winner of IM Busselton 2016 has also had all of his results removed from the Ironman website, as well as 3rd place in the same AG (30-34). Names / results still up on multisport???

Maybe just a clerical error?

so these 3 guys

Hewitt

Blake

Lars?

but

Blake (pulled out during the race) and Levi both did Geelong?

Lars hasn't raced since busso

Any know to ask them?

seems strange....

I'm not going to speculate until there's more info. They're certainly not course cutters.

Edited by zed

don't know if this is an epilogue or the ban was a prologue........anyway this story just keeps giving

http://303triathlon.com/us-age-group-triathlete-banned-doping-competing-ultras-maiden-name/

Yeh, didn't Lance race a few last year. I think he even won one of the smaller ones. Unless they run them under WADA/USADA jurisdiction then apparently it's open slather.

Show me on teh wada page where this girl or beth G names are listed?

You can't.

How is a RD supposed to know who is banned or not?

Firstly, if the Ultra isn't under the wada umbrella, then she can just enter them can't she? So secondly, why bother with the maiden name thing, which just helps make her look more shady?

Show me on teh wada page where this girl or beth G names are listed?

You can't.

Â

How is a RD supposed to know who is banned or not?

If a sanctioned race by an ITU country, they can't hide this stuff regardless of who runs or pays.

Old Pueblo is sanctioned by USA Track and Field, which means it is under WADA rules. So technically, she's not allowed to enter. But if she buys a one-day USATF license, which is typical for ultras, all she needs to do is show ID at registration. They might or might not ask – ultras can be casual sometimes – but she'd know it's a possibility. So if she still has ID in her maiden name, she can pick up her bib and no one would be the wiser.

She could do it under her married name and probably get away with it too, at least at first. It would be unusual for race management or officials (if any) to do any kind of positive verification for one day license age groupers, although officials typically do it for elites, if there's an actual elite competition. But her name would be published in the results, which would also be submitted to USATF, and someone would probably notice. All it takes is a google search.

Once again show me online where the names are listed?

They aren't so how can a RD know?

The RD doesn't know and it's not his/her responsibility to do a background check on every registrant. It's up to the athlete to follow the terms of any ban, or face additional penalties. In this case, a lifetime ban would be a real possibility. It's different for elites, particularly when prize money is involved – officials are supposed to verify eligibility for every elite registrant – but no pre-checks are in place for age groupers.

Cosmically, it's not a big problem. Very few age group athletes are suspended for any reason and, so far, doping bans are extremely rare. Rare enough that when one happens, it's high profile. Like this one. Nowhere to hide.

Interesting as this is the same method used by the NZ lady who outswam all the pro's at the ITU long course worlds last year. Eventually got DQed and a ban by TriNZ.

She has entered ocean swims under her first and middle names, and isn't beating the pro's!!

Changed name but I doubt she will be competing under her new name.

https://twitter.com/IMbethgerdes

Beth Gerdes now Beth McKenzie.

Given just changed online despite being married for a over a year but after being done for drugs.

Nice timing

Edited by Peter

I suspect the timing of the name change has more to do with her decision to retire. Probably kept her maiden name while racing for sponsors, etc