Rocket Salad

In the news thread.

On 25/10/2019 at 11:35 PM, Katz said:

Oooh, love it when someone uses 'ameliorate'. 

No love for "intransigence"?

• Like 1

I'm almost sure it was a Friday in February in 1992, when I was cycling from Sydney to Canberra for the Sri Chinmoy triathlon festival. I was racing the sprint on the Saturday arvo and the long course the following day. By 11am I was cycling along the Hume, around half way to Canberra, when a white station wagon or old 4WD pulled up in the breakdown lane maybe 150 metres ahead of me. The lone driver stepped out of the car and stood waiting as I cycled towards him.

He stood near the rear of the car, back to the road, apparently waiting for me. As unusual as it was, it didn't strike me as the most peculiar of circumstances I'd encountered on a long solo training ride. I slowed as I approached to pass on the car's left and the man casually asked for directions for Wollongong. I stopped, but keenly anticipating my only food and water stop at Sutton Forest servo only a few k's down the road and with 150km still to ride, I had no intention to dismount.

I suggested he turn around and head north, and take an exit to Bowral and head through there. For a few moments we both just stood there, me straddling my bike with one foot clipped in, he apparently considering what I had just said and sort of looking me up and down. With no further questions immediately forthcoming and me feeling just slightly uneasy, I excused myself and rode off.

Within one or two kilometres, I saw a large road sign, "Illawarra Highway, Wollongong, Exit 2 KM". I immediately realised I had given the wrong directions, though I dismissively thought he would have seen the sign before he found a suitable place to u-turn on the Hume's duel carriageway and would now be on the correct road.

I had little reason to think too much of the middle-aged Slavic looking guy with a mustache for some while.

However, it wasn't too long after when  police commenced exhuming bodies from Belanglo, and Milat was subsequently arrested for the murders. It was then I saw his face on the news and immediately recognised him as the man who had flagged me down on the Hume, directly across the highway from Belanglo State Forest.

• Sad 4

25 minutes ago, Prince said:

you should definitely  let the police know. 

Perhaps, in retrospect.

Though by the time Milat was arrested and his name and face were on the news, it was abundantly clear (or at least reported as so) that the police had more than enough evidence to gain a conviction. A couple of years had passed by then and my thoughts at the time were that my brief encounter didn't seem to add any weight to the case.

Edited by Paul Every

With Michael Guider (Samantha Knight's killer) being released from prison last month, a few miscreants I've met have been back in the news of late. :cry:

13 hours ago, Paul Every said:

Perhaps, in retrospect.

Though by the time Milat was arrested and his name and face were on the news, it was abundantly clear (or at least reported as so) that the police had more than enough evidence to gain a conviction. A couple of years had passed by then and my thoughts at the time were that my brief encounter didn't seem to add any weight to the case.

i don't think it is just about having enough evidence,  but someone's family member may well have gone missing that day you had the encounter and you have a specific timeline and area. just thought it could be important that's all. 

15 hours ago, Paul Every said:

My sister was living in Eagle Vale during the 90s and while I was at uni on a Qld regional campus, I would take most holidays to stay with her and work at a factory doing night shift.  My sister was also on night shift at the same place so mostly we would travel together in her car and back.

During the holidays before his arrest, my sister's father in law passed away, causing her to take some time off work to go and stay with them and resulted in me having to take the train while I stayed in her house without a car.  Quite often I would come and go from Minto station, walking approximately half an hour cutting through paddocks (now most likely filled with houses and shops) to avoid the roads to get home.

There was one particular house I would cut through near that cut alot of time off the trip and then walk along the rear fence, regularly walking through at night, then each morning around the same time.  That same house I saw on the news a few months later with police taking Ivan out in handcuffs.  I'm glad he literally didn't hunt in his own backyard (or his brother's, as it was his house), but part of me thinks I was safe as I wasn't with a female.  Considering he could see my sister's backyard from that house, I'm still glad

So, are we going to be in for more water restrictions in future? A class action against SEQ Water over the 2011 floods was just successful. Can you imagine them holding back water for the next drought in future, or will they just make sure the levels are always low enough to avert flood damage?

What difference would it have made had they followed the guidelines they created 18 months earlier?  

I don’t see how anyone could really know. But you can bet this gets used as an example in Engineering courses for years to come. 

So do the insurance companies get most of this money? If they have already paid out on a claim, the person can't get paid twice for their losses surely?

Funny enough my mate and I were talking hourly rates at work today on our walk.  He's a civil engineer, and said they got their insurance review this week and it's quadrupled this year!  And doubled the year before.  He said there's been a lot of insurance payouts over the flammable cladding; structural engineers etc had been approving it.

Probably a big reason as well as to why the new engineering standards are coming in, people who got a cert or diploma 30 years ago are no longer going to be able to be called engineers and need degree qualified engineers to oversee their work