Jump to content
Rocket Salad

In the news thread.

Recommended Posts

On 12/09/2018 at 12:21 PM, Stikman said:

Personally I think one of the more racist aspects of the cartoon is the depiction of her opponent Naomi Osaka as a light skinned blonde girl.

So he portrayed a black person as black which is bad and portrayed a dark skinned person as white which is also bad.

hmmmm

maybe we need a generic beige non gender specific stick figure for all future cartoons 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, roxii said:

 

maybe we need a generic beige non gender specific stick figure for all future cartoons 

You've offended the people with eating disorders now you...

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't help but wonder what the reaction would have been if a male tennis player carried on that way to a female chair umpire. Surely the male tennis player would have been roundly condemned for his misogyny and bullying.

Also why does Serena get a free pass in her racist comment to the umpire? He's Hispanic and she accused him of being a thief and stealing from her. #Outrage.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw it this morning & could barely believe it. Notre-Dame Cathedral is burning down. It was one of my "must see" places for when we start travelling in a few years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I saw it this morning & could barely believe it. Notre-Dame Cathedral is burning down. It was one of my "must see" places for when we start travelling in a few years.

Yeah I think if it survives all you will see for the next 20 years will be scaffolding.  Pretty sad, its a wonderful building. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I saw it this morning & could barely believe it. Notre-Dame Cathedral is burning down. It was one of my "must see" places for when we start travelling in a few years.

Yeah sad one. Luckily there are loads more to see...

24 minutes ago, roxii said:

Yeah I think if it survives all you will see for the next 20 years will be scaffolding.  Pretty sad, its a wonderful building. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I saw it this morning & could barely believe it. Notre-Dame Cathedral is burning down. It was one of my "must see" places for when we start travelling in a few years.

it really was amazing when I saw it a few years ago. 

That and the Eiffel tower.

Truly one of the most amazing sites I've ever seen and could only think at the time that it would honestly suck to be blind and not see either of them.

Don't put off something until later when you could do it today.

It might not be there later.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Peter said:

it really was amazing when I saw it a few years ago. 

That and the Eiffel tower.

Truly one of the most amazing sites I've ever seen and could only think at the time that it would honestly suck to be blind and not see either of them.

Don't put off something until later when you could do it today.

It might not be there later.

Yeah I remember going there and standing in the arch for minutes in awe of the workmanship, then you put it in the context of when it was done and makes it even more amazing. 

556629-wikimedia-portal.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Incredible, beautiful place. So glad I got to see it a few years back. I can barely imagine what it would be like for Parisians to watch it burn. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, saw this this morning!  They were saying on the news that the French pm was saying that it looks like the structure has been saved!  MT was saying this morning that Australia should create a find out something to help with its rebuild.

Not just the building, but imagine the stuff inside that may be lost?  The "crown of thorns" is kept inside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, roxii said:

Yeah I remember going there and standing in the arch for minutes in awe of the workmanship, then you put it in the context of when it was done and makes it even more amazing. 

556629-wikimedia-portal.jpg

Think I’ve been to 39 different countries now, lived in 5, seen a lot of things and places of wonder.  

Maybe it’s because I’m from Wells in Somerset but this is one of the few places I’ve visited and said ‘ is that it?’ To myself.  It was so much smaller and less ornate than I was expecting.  It’s location lends itself to massive crowds of course and the rest of things one goes to see in Paris are truly breathtaking but this isn’t one of them, not for me at least.

Extremely sad news though :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been to Canterbury Cathedral FP?  I got lost in that one.   

It’s farking huge 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Peter said:

Been to Canterbury Cathedral FP?  I got lost in that one.   

It’s farking huge 

Yeah been there, it very big. Salisbury is incredibly high and Wells is impressive with its inverted arch and clock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There have been many comments on here about the unfair rules around excess baggage on flights, eg: I weigh 70kg, yet get charged for an extra 5kg of baggage, and the guy next to me weighs more than me and all my baggage put together.

https://simpleflying.com/airlines-could-soon-begin-weighing-passengers-to-save-fuel/

Hints around airlines looking at weighing passengers discretely at the moment to allow them to put the right amount of fuel in the plane & therefore save carrying the extra weight of unneeded fuel. If they go down this path, I can eventually see heavy passengers charged more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

There have been many comments on here about the unfair rules around excess baggage on flights, eg: I weigh 70kg, yet get charged for an extra 5kg of baggage, and the guy next to me weighs more than me and all my baggage put together.

https://simpleflying.com/airlines-could-soon-begin-weighing-passengers-to-save-fuel/

Hints around airlines looking at weighing passengers discretely at the moment to allow them to put the right amount of fuel in the plane & therefore save carrying the extra weight of unneeded fuel. If they go down this path, I can eventually see heavy passengers charged more.

Air France tried it but the EUrocrats slapped it down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

There have been many comments on here about the unfair rules around excess baggage on flights, eg: I weigh 70kg, yet get charged for an extra 5kg of baggage, and the guy next to me weighs more than me and all my baggage put together.

https://simpleflying.com/airlines-could-soon-begin-weighing-passengers-to-save-fuel/

Hints around airlines looking at weighing passengers discretely at the moment to allow them to put the right amount of fuel in the plane & therefore save carrying the extra weight of unneeded fuel. If they go down this path, I can eventually see heavy passengers charged more.

Fine by me :-)

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mike Del said:

Fine by me 🙂

 

Not by me, at my fittest I weigh 80 kgs, Why should I at 190cm be penalised because some 150cm woman weighs the same?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's also a slippery slope, what next?  If you have a history of travel sickness get charged for a clean up fee?  Swipe your credit card to be able to recline your seat?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The officer who shot Aussie Justine Damond has been found guilty of 3rd degree murder and manslaughter, but not guilty of 2nd degree murder.

I didn't know you could be found guilty of murder and manslaughter for the same incident?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if these are in other cities, but Lime scooters are taking over Brisbane. They are proving a lot more popular than the council's initiative at hire bikes (city-cycle), but a lot of people are annoyed at the users riding in & out of pedestrians with sometimes little regard. I suppose most are good, but like cyclists, the bad egg gives everyone a bad image.

Well, apparently paramedics are called out to about 1 accident a day in Brisbane, and today, the first rider died in hospital after a crash.

I wonder what this will do to the regulation of them? He suffered a heart attack after receiving critical head & facial injuries in the crash. Compulsory helmets maybe, even though he was wearing one?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I wonder what this will do to the regulation of them? He suffered a heart attack after receiving critical head & facial injuries in the crash. Compulsory helmets maybe, even though he was wearing one?

Perhaps just accept that, at the risk of quoting Tony Abbott, "shit happens" and move on.  There are no 100% safe activities in this world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Stikman said:

Perhaps just accept that, at the risk of quoting Tony Abbott, "shit happens" and move on.  There are no 100% safe activities in this world.

I know that. You know that. But someone is likely to sue someone, so it will get regulated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the plus side it may deflect some hatred normally directed at cyclists. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a guy here in Perth who rides his e-scooter in the bike lane in the city. I encounter him most afternoons. I presume he is using it as it is safer for both him and pedestrians, but he creates a real hazard moving as slowly as he does in the bike lane and it's a particularly congested part of the city with a big dedicated bike lane, cars, buses, merging lanes (which Perth peeps have NFI how to use at the best of times) and a string of lights along a very short distance.

I don't know what the answer is in such a case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Katz said:

There is a guy here in Perth who rides his e-scooter in the bike lane in the city. I encounter him most afternoons. I presume he is using it as it is safer for both him and pedestrians, but he creates a real hazard moving as slowly as he does in the bike lane and it's a particularly congested part of the city with a big dedicated bike lane, cars, buses, merging lanes (which Perth peeps have NFI how to use at the best of times) and a string of lights along a very short distance.

I don't know what the answer is in such a case.

Give him time until he figures out how to ungovern his speed limiter and he is cruising around at 40kph...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sad story on 60 minutes last night about the young apprentice who was killed in the scaffolding accident on the  Sydney building site. The Unions have called for tougher penalties for those involved. The only thing i don't understand is why didn't the Unions shut the site down if they thought it was so unsafe. I think they may have dropped the ball themselves on this one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Prince said:

sad story on 60 minutes last night about the young apprentice who was killed in the scaffolding accident on the  Sydney building site. The Unions have called for tougher penalties for those involved. The only thing i don't understand is why didn't the Unions shut the site down if they thought it was so unsafe. I think they may have dropped the ball themselves on this one. 

An opportunity for the unions to bang on about worker safety, eh?

On channel nein?

During an election campaign?

How convenient...

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

An opportunity for the unions to bang on about worker safety, eh?

On channel nein?

During an election campaign?

How convenient...

Yeah, lucky that kid died during an election campaign huh!!! 

FFS!!! 

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...