Rocket Salad

In the news thread.

I hope I'm not wrong, but I reckon she'll do what she said she will with it. 

Maybe they should have settled for the 200k she wanted before the case.

52 minutes ago, Cottoneyes said:

Well, let's see what she can do with $4.5M

instead of donating to charity, perhaps she can use it to buy some Talent or Acting Lessons. 

Just now, Prince said:

instead of donating to charity, perhaps she can use it to buy some Talent or Acting Lessons. 

😂😂😂

You cannot buy talent but you can buy acting lessons

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Fitness Buddy said:

😂😂😂

You cannot buy talent but you can buy acting lessons

Richard Gere bought some talent in Pretty Woman. :dribble:

• Like 1

Saw overnight Korn Ferry (A company that speciliases in employment studies) has released their findings into the gender pay gaps around the world.  This will be interesting to see how WGEA and the like respond:

"For years we’ve read bold headlines about the gender pay gap, reporting that around the world men are paid an average of 20% more than women.

Our research confirm this gap but also shows that when compared “like for like”, the gender pay gap reduces to 1.6%. Put simply, a man and a woman doing the same job in the same function and company, get paid almost exactly the same.

But one thing remains true: as a demographic group, women get paid less than men."

Then they simply push the focus to getting women the same job and the same function.

I don't know about any of you folk out there, but when I interview people for a position, I pick the best. I don't pick the best male. Why is there such a disparity? Is it simply a legacy that is gradually changing, or are there still people out there that pick "the best man for the job"?

I think those statistics are weighted by the fact that jobs generally regarded as female work are less well remunerated. 

So while male and female nurses, primary school teachers and child care workers are paid the same, they are generally "underpaid" and predominantly females so this influences the data. 

Labourers in construction can be very well paid with no qualifications at all, yet are predominantly male. 

I agree Roxii, from working in rem for coming up to 20 years the results of the survey are pretty much what I see all the time.  Mat leave used to leave a gap, but my managers know I'll be on their back if they don't give them budgeted increases to stop any gap forming.

If we paid childcare workers, aged care workers and nurses what they are worth, the overall 20% would be significantly reduced overnight

• Like 1

Having completed and signed off on a few of the surveys that businesses are required to do, the broad categorisations used which capture a multitude of roles across various disciplines skew the results.  As others have said, I have never seen an example of pay disparity on a gender basis in a like for like role. I should add that these are all professional/technical roles.

8 hours ago, truck said:

As others have said, I have never seen an example of pay disparity on a gender basis in a like for like role.

What about the new Aus Post boss?

Option 1: They overpaid the last boss, so the new boss cops a pay cut.

Option 2: The last boss was a bloke and the new boss is a woman so they pay her less

You'd hope it's option 1, but how you know it isn't 2?

(Not specifically directed at truck or anyone, just musing)

• Like 1

On 13/09/2017 at 12:35 PM, goughy said:

I hope I'm not wrong, but I reckon she'll do what she said she will with it. 

Maybe they should have settled for the 200k she wanted before the case.

After legal fees, that's probably all Rebel Wilson will get now after the appeal. $600k is the final amount. They set aside the $3.9M for the economic losses she said she incurred by missing out on roles. Maybe it was her acting that caused her to miss out on the roles.

Just read that Thai authorities are reporting one of the Navy seals three to rescue the boys has died from lack of oxygen! :(

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, goughy said:

Just read that Thai authorities are reporting one of the Navy seals three to rescue the boys has died from lack of oxygen! :(

Yes and he was a Triathlete also.